Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Most Underrated Anime Series - 2008

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 08-11-09, 09:28 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 527 Likes on 464 Posts

Agree or disagree...? Were there another release that belonged here that wasn't?
10 Most Underrated Anime Series - 2008 via Mania / AoD
  1. Toward the Terra
  2. Flag
  3. Welcome to the NHK
  4. Tweeny Witches
  5. Red Garden
  6. Jyu-Oh-Sei
  7. Zegapain
  8. Project Blue Earth SOS
  9. FREEDOM
  10. Story of Saiunkoku
Old 08-11-09, 09:30 AM
WTK

Re: 10 Most Underrated Anime Series - 2008

Of the 10, I haven't seen Project Blue Earth SOS. The top 2 would be choices. Toward the Terra and FLAG were absolutely underrated. I would even move Zegapain higher on the list too. It's just too bad that BEI decided to cancel the boxset releases for FLAG and Zegapain. The rest of the list, I don't have too much problem with though I would probably move Tweeny Witches and Red Garden down a bit...
Old 08-11-09, 09:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I sooo wanted to watch FREEDOM (bluray) during the SciFi Challenge but my home theatre system is not hooked up (long story, I wont go there).... ugh, I'm dying to watch this series.
Old 08-11-09, 09:36 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Giles
I sooo wanted to watch FREEDOM (bluray) during the SciFi Challenge but my home theatre system is not hooked up (long story, I wont go there).... ugh, I'm dying to watch this series.
It was quite fun and entertaining to watch. When you get to it, you have to watch it in BD. It's just too bad that Bandai Ent / Honneamise priced the BD boxset so high up. Not everyone can take advantage or they don't have the HD setup yet.

Otherwise, the Bandai Ent is releasing FREEDOM in DVDs as well. The original DVD boxset was scrapped and it was split into 2 DVD releases.
Old 08-11-09, 09:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw some hidef screen caps from FREEDOM over at blu-ray.com and they were A-MAZing - yeah, I agree paying a hundred bucks for the collection was definately steep.
Old 08-11-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That NHK show sounds intriguing. I'm going to check that out.

Red Garden I liked ok. I think as it went on it kind of fell apart, but the first disc or two really were captivating. It was more fun when I had no clue what the hell was going on, and I really dug how that show handled the girls and the powers they had.
Old 08-11-09, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red Garden and NHK were absolutely horrible...For some reason horror and Anime doesn't mix with me and the whole premise for NHK is about as screwed up for me as Lain. I am not sure if or when I will finish either series...at least not with my backlog. There just wasn't anything entertaining about either series to me...but at least they served as background noise for internet surfing.

Jyu-Oh-Sei and Flag are probably the two series I am most looking forward to see.
Old 08-13-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FREEDOM is great series (yes, I own blu-ray and got it 50% off through RightStuff months ago).

Planned to watch Flag, but remains skeptical because I have read several reviewers stating that Flag have overused the camera POV so often. It made it difficult to watch it.
Old 08-14-09, 08:28 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NHK and SOS were SOOOOOOooo good. It's not often that once I start a series I can't put it down until it's over, and that happened with both of those. I was hooked from the first episode!