Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

School me on some good Anime...

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

School me on some good Anime...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: School me on some good Anime...

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Agreed. I liked the characters but not the storyline. Actually prefer the show ending versus the "End of Evangelion" movie.

Come to think of it, I didn't really like Akira either and these are the two that seem to be required viewing for new anime folks, haha.
AKIRA gets better with each viewing. It took me three or four times before I finally "got" it.

EVANGELION is one I found quite gripping. Can't say I necessarily understood it. But you don't have to understand anime to enjoy it. I, too, prefer the TV ending to the movie. I like its honest portrayal of adolescence.
Old 09-11-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
AKIRA gets better with each viewing. It took me three or four times before I finally "got" it.
Can you expound on what you "got" about Akira? It's a beautifully animated and directed film, especially for its time, but it's basically a chunk of a much larger manga and I still don't think it makes much sense on its own without the rest of the story being fleshed out.
Old 09-13-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Can you expound on what you "got" about Akira? It's a beautifully animated and directed film, especially for its time, but it's basically a chunk of a much larger manga and I still don't think it makes much sense on its own without the rest of the story being fleshed out.

Okay, here's what I "got" about AKIRA from my most recent viewings:
Spoiler:

1) The Akira Project was an attempt to create superhuman children to propel Japan's economic miracle and make the country the world's #1 superpower, which I took as a metaphor for the Japan school system and its emphasis on cram schools and kids following a specific academic/school choice/career track for success. Kids who don't follow that track are deemed losers. Which is where many future manga and anime artists found themselves.
2) In the film, Japan's suppression of the Akira Project was meant as a metaphor for Japan's failure to come to grips with its own militaristic, violent past, i.e. its behavior in WWII. The re-emergence of the Akira Project, in the form of a violently transformed Tetsuo, is a sign of Japan's suppressed, violent past coming back to haunt it.
At least those are my interpretations based on multiple viewings of the film. Whether all that is in the manga or not is immaterial to me. Every film needs to be judged on its own.

Thank you for reading.