Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news....s-in-february

Ok, AKIRA is definitely one of the anime classic titles that should help kick off Blu-Ray interest in anime fans.

Now, if Disney can just get off its arse and release the Studio Ghibli films (ie. Miyazaki), then I'll be one ultra-happy fan.
Old 09-26-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hell.yes.
Old 09-26-08, 03:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hooray
Old 09-26-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I'm not a huge anime fan or anything, but this is one that I know I'll pick up.
Old 09-26-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this will increase my double dip (HD:SD) ratio.
Old 09-26-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
This is a title in desperate need of a remaster. The DVD is Edge Enhanced to hell.
Old 09-26-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The price might turn some of the casual anime fans off-

The Japanese release will cost 8,190 yen (about US$77.90), while the American version will cost US$49.98 (without sales tax).
Old 09-26-08, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
This is a title in desperate need of a remaster. The DVD is Edge Enhanced to hell.
In the forum thread on animeondvd...er...mania forums (or whatever you want to call it now), it was mentioned that the Japanese article states that AKIRA will use a a new HD telecine. Hopefully, it's all that it can be.

The only thing I'm disappointed by is the rather lacking extras. At least put the old Akira Production Report with the title!
Old 09-26-08, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
The price might turn some of the casual anime fans off-

The Japanese release will cost 8,190 yen (about US$77.90), while the American version will cost US$49.98 (without sales tax).
Ouch
Old 09-26-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
That is mighty expensive. Definitely not one that I'll be buying without a pretty massive sale. Just a question, but why are so many anime titles priced so high? Is the answer just because a core select group will still buy them regardless of price? I've always found it interesting how much pricier many anime titles are.
Old 09-26-08, 05:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought anime titles were expensive so parallel importing would roughly be the same price.
Old 09-26-08, 05:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anime titles are always expensive. That price is no shock to me.
Old 09-26-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Tetsuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Old 09-26-08, 07:45 PM
Banned

There is an update in the original link which says that the distribution will be done in the US by Bandai and the the price is now lower because is going to be a blu ray disc as opposed to the original plans of releasing a combo BD/DVD. I imagine that the extras from the previous release done by Pioneer will not be included, right?

Last edited by dx23; 09-26-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 09:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe we'll get a new dub as well? I for one really disliked the new dub they had for the dvd release. Maybe I just like the original dub too much.
The original Japanese dialogue is great also (didn't not want to mention that).
Old 09-26-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ouch
Akira is well worth that price and then some. If Wings of Honnemaise can be sold for 80 dollars, getting Akira for 50 is a bargain.
Old 09-26-08, 10:18 PM
TRC

Originally Posted by clckworang
That is mighty expensive. Definitely not one that I'll be buying without a pretty massive sale. Just a question, but why are so many anime titles priced so high? Is the answer just because a core select group will still buy them regardless of price? I've always found it interesting how much pricier many anime titles are.
The cost of licensing anime can be really expensive. Japan has quite a different viewpoint about what things should cost. You'd be surprised what they pay for certain items.

Also anime has a niche audience in North America. Anime DVDs are distributed in relatively low amounts and they have to charge more to make a profit. Few anime receive a TV broadcast over here and in fact a lot of shows have aired on North American television for the sole purpose of promoting the DVD release.

Actually in recent months the prices have been coming way down. The market is being flooded with inexpensive boxsets.The major exception seems to be the Hommenaise label and their hi-def releases.

Still we're getting Akira on Blu-Ray just four days after the Japanese and for $28 less. I can't complain too much.
Old 09-27-08, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Going to have to break out my Dark Horse US graphic novel series. Quite possibly the best graphic novel of all time (too bad it wasn't all in color). Yes, I think it's even better than Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns.
Old 09-27-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Geddlo
Maybe we'll get a new dub as well? I for one really disliked the new dub they had for the dvd release. Maybe I just like the original dub too much.
The original Japanese dialogue is great also (didn't not want to mention that).
I don't think we'll see the "Streamline" dub on this one. I need to pick-up the R4 DVD for that. I believe a lot of us grew up watching the original.

I actually like the new dub with John Bosch.
Old 09-27-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
It's been so long since I've watched my DVD. Need to watch again to see if this would be in my upgrade queue. Price is a deterrent but this is a seminal piece of anime.
Old 09-28-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

about time. My tin DVD needs an upgrade!
Old 09-29-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I don't think we'll see the "Streamline" dub on this one. I need to pick-up the R4 DVD for that. I believe a lot of us grew up watching the original.

I actually like the new dub with John Bosch.
I like the Streamline dub just because it was a good localization rather than a straight translation, which killed the new one. a good example of this would be the name CANADA vs KANEDA- something that irked most fans. A good localizer would not go with Canada as it conflicts with an already common name (not to mention already having an established, familiar name in the US). There are a ton of examples of this in the new dub.
Old 09-29-08, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Going to have to break out my Dark Horse US graphic novel series. Quite possibly the best graphic novel of all time (too bad it wasn't all in color). Yes, I think it's even better than Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns.
I agree. And the individual comics were in color to the very end, wernt the compiled volumes also?

Also this is the full epic story of Akira. The movie is only the first half of the story, with a couple of later scenes jammed in to conclude it early. And those who have only seen the movie have always wondered why it is so coherent for the first 2/3 and then becomes a little messy story wise, well this is why. Anyone who loves the movie definitely needs to read the graphic novels for the complete story, which increases its scope by an order of magnitude.

Last edited by HumanMedia; 09-29-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by HumanMedia
I agree. And the individual comics were in color to the very end, wernt the compiled volumes also?

Also this is the full epic story of Akira. The movie is only the first half of the story, with a couple of later scenes jammed in to conclude it early. And those who have only seen the movie have always wondered why it is so coherent for the first 2/3 and then becomes a little messy story wise, well this is why. Anyone who loves the movie definitely needs to read the graphic novels for the complete story, which increases its scope by an order of magnitude.
The movie is not quite like the books at all. The movie was produced when when the manga series weren't even completed. Here's the Wiki page denoting the differences between the manga and the movies.

As for the English compilation. Unfortunately, no, the latest Dark Horse release only had the first few pages in color and the rest in B&W, but it doesn't take away anything from the quality of the story. I suggest you grab this 2000pg story up as you can, it's OOP so some of the volumes on Amazon reseller are expensive while others can be found for

Last edited by Eric F; 09-29-08 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Eric F;8972514]The movie is not quite like the books at all. The movie was produced when when the manga series weren't even completed.

As for the English compilation. Unfortunately, no, the latest Dark Horse release only had the first few pages in color and the rest in B&W, but it doesn't take away anything from the quality of the story. I suggest you grab this 2000pg story up as you can, it's OOP so some of the volumes on Amazon reseller are expensive while others can be found for

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.