Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Borders.com has the list price as only $39.99. If you wait for one of their 40% off coupons, then you can get it for $23.99 plus tax.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=669198620041
Old 01-09-09, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I like the Streamline dub just because it was a good localization rather than a straight translation, which killed the new one. a good example of this would be the name CANADA vs KANEDA- something that irked most fans. A good localizer would not go with Canada as it conflicts with an already common name (not to mention already having an established, familiar name in the US). There are a ton of examples of this in the new dub.
Why would the viewer confuse "Kaneda" with "Canada" when (a) the name is shown as "Kaneda" in the subtitles, and (b) the film has nothing whatsoever to do with Canada the country?

Regarding your preference for localization for American viewers' benefit, maybe you assume the English dub is only for American viewers. Well, it's not. The old dub was, with its bravado over the top voice acting, mispronunciations of Japanese names just so they sounded "natural" to American viewers, and other cringe-inducing attempt to "Americanize" it. Maybe they should make another localized English dub with British accents and lingo for British viewers, another one with Aussie accents and lingo for Aussie viewers... LOL.

The new dub is immensely better because it is more ACCURATE on all counts in depicting what the original Japanese film is all about. Kei's voice is lower-pitched, and less annoyingly girly like in the old dub). Masaru no longer sounds like an old man, but like a child. Japanese names are pronounced correctly: AH-kee-ra, KAH-nee-dah, KAH-oh-ri. All these things were done according to how they were done the original Japanese soundtrack, and this is how a foreign language dub SHOULD be done. The 2001 Pioneer DVD includes interviews of the voice actors for the new dub, who certainly deserve to be mentioned.

Many of those who like the old dub because they prefer it for nostalgic reasons, similar to their preference of those cringe-inducing Shaw Brothers English dubs made in the 70s, which to this day westerners are still using to make mock of Asian films and actors. We are now living in a more enlightened era so it's time to retire these outdated practices.

Last edited by kevin_y; 01-09-09 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Originally Posted by kevin_y
The new dub is immensely better because it is more ACCURATE on all counts in depicting what the original Japanese film is all about.
And you know what's even more accurate than that? The original Japanese soundtrack!

dubs < dog turds < subtitles
Old 01-09-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate dubs. Both the rims and for movies.
Old 01-09-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually prefer a good dub to subtitles. Disney has done a great job with the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films. The problem is that the quality of most dubs is lacking. So generally speaking, I use subtitles.
Old 01-09-09, 05:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
And you know what's even more accurate than that? The original Japanese soundtrack!

dubs < dog turds < subtitles
Sure, if you understand the Japanese language. If you don't, then everything else gives you only an *approximation* of what the original language is all about. This applies to both subs and dubs.

A dub that fails even the most basic requirements such as pronouncing the names properly is not a good dub.
Old 01-09-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

But what about dubbed Kung Fu movies?! I'd put those in a class by themselves.
Old 01-23-09, 05:48 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Pic from Bandai Ent. blog...on the first press editions.
...In any case, I’ve been reading (and been told) that there is some confusions about the first press and where to get it from. The AKIRA BD First Press Edition will not be an exclusive to any particular store! If you have a particular store you like to shop, as long as they placed their order with us on time, they should be receiving it *hopefully*! After the first pressing is done, the booklet and slipcase will no longer be available!...
Old 01-23-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Hopefully K-Mart will have it mispriced for 12 bucks.
Old 01-24-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That looks gorgeous. Can't wait. Definite first day purchase cause I really want that Book.
Old 01-24-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the cover is the standard one, under that slipcase?
Old 01-26-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why would the viewer confuse "Kaneda" with "Canada" when (a) the name is shown as "Kaneda" in the subtitles, and (b) the film has nothing whatsoever to do with Canada the country?

Regarding your preference for localization for American viewers' benefit, maybe you assume the English dub is only for American viewers. Well, it's not. The old dub was, with its bravado over the top voice acting, mispronunciations of Japanese names just so they sounded "natural" to American viewers, and other cringe-inducing attempt to "Americanize" it. Maybe they should make another localized English dub with British accents and lingo for British viewers, another one with Aussie accents and lingo for Aussie viewers... LOL.

The new dub is immensely better because it is more ACCURATE on all counts in depicting what the original Japanese film is all about. Kei's voice is lower-pitched, and less annoyingly girly like in the old dub). Masaru no longer sounds like an old man, but like a child. Japanese names are pronounced correctly: AH-kee-ra, KAH-nee-dah, KAH-oh-ri. All these things were done according to how they were done the original Japanese soundtrack, and this is how a foreign language dub SHOULD be done. The 2001 Pioneer DVD includes interviews of the voice actors for the new dub, who certainly deserve to be mentioned.

Many of those who like the old dub because they prefer it for nostalgic reasons, similar to their preference of those cringe-inducing Shaw Brothers English dubs made in the 70s, which to this day westerners are still using to make mock of Asian films and actors. We are now living in a more enlightened era so it's time to retire these outdated practices.
I work in the localization field. It's my profession. I have been doing it for over a decade. I am a professional; an expert. Accuracy is not localization. Adaptation is localization. The Streamline Pictures dub may not be ideal for geeks who need direct translation from Japanese to fulfill their "true to the original" fantasies, but it was the dub that made the movie in the US. And a lot of things about the dub were done correctly to assure its popularity in here (and yes, the dub is primarily for the American market- since it uses American voice actors).
Old 01-26-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any ideas where to pre-order this to make sure and get the "first press edition"?
Old 01-26-09, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by naitram
Any ideas where to pre-order this to make sure and get the "first press edition"?
I imagine that Amazon should have the first pressing.
Old 01-26-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$50 MSRP? Amazon price of $34.99? Sorry, I love this one. It is one of the rare titles I would pay release day bucks for... but that's not worth that much. I'll wait for the reviews and then pick it up on a deal.

-beebs
Old 01-31-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not the best source for HD reviews but this one from IGN is the first one I've come across for this title.
Old 02-02-09, 11:21 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Not the best source for HD reviews but this one from IGN is the first one I've come across for this title.
Here is another one.
Old 02-02-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
$50 MSRP? Amazon price of $34.99? Sorry, I love this one. It is one of the rare titles I would pay release day bucks for... but that's not worth that much. I'll wait for the reviews and then pick it up on a deal.

-beebs
Animes are always pricey regardless of format. The only problem with waiting for a deal is that you miss out on the first pressing exclusives.
Old 02-03-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The amazon price actually increased to 34.99 over the last week. If was a few dollars cheaper.
Old 02-03-09, 06:12 AM

ooh looks like it's region free! hooray!
Old 02-05-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Animes are always pricey regardless of format.
I agree, and would refer folks back to the first page of this thread for good discussions of why. At least we're still cheaper than Japan.
Old 02-05-09, 09:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't seem to link since the site and my Internet Explorer keeps crashing, but DVDBeaver has a review up for AKIRA
Old 02-05-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

DVD Beaver has a review up today...bummer that none of the extras made it over.
Old 02-09-09, 01:54 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I work in the localization field. It's my profession. I have been doing it for over a decade. I am a professional; an expert. Accuracy is not localization. Adaptation is localization. The Streamline Pictures dub may not be ideal for geeks who need direct translation from Japanese to fulfill their "true to the original" fantasies, but it was the dub that made the movie in the US. And a lot of things about the dub were done correctly to assure its popularity in here (and yes, the dub is primarily for the American market- since it uses American voice actors).
It doesn't matter what your expertise is or how you think localization should be done. The old Akira dub was a POOR translation from the original film, from the horrific voice acting to the atrocious dub script that totally ruined the viewing experience, so the new dub was totally justified. Don't I detect a slight tinge of bitterness and arrogance in your post. But then again you gotta watch out when someone writes, "I've been doing it for over N number of years," which usually translates into, "My expertise is N years out of date and you can't teach an old dog new tricks." Get with the times and check out the great dubs on those Mayazaki/Disney DVDs and hopefully it will dawn on you that a great dub usually comes from a good understanding of the original "flavor" of the film, and NOT from making up WEIRD AMERICANIZED NAMES AND ACCENTS AND MANNERISMS. If you think YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL FILMMAKERS as to how to dub a movie, maybe you should make your own movie.
Old 02-09-09, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It doesn't matter what your expertise is or how you think localization should be done. The old Akira dub was a POOR translation from the original film, from the horrific voice acting to the atrocious dub script that totally ruined the viewing experience, so the new dub was totally justified. Don't I detect a slight tinge of bitterness and arrogance in your post. But then again you gotta watch out when someone writes, "I've been doing it for over N number of years," which usually translates into, "My expertise is N years out of date and you can't teach an old dog new tricks." Get with the times and check out the great dubs on those Mayazaki/Disney DVDs and hopefully it will dawn on you that a great dub usually comes from a good understanding of the original "flavor" of the film, and NOT from making up WEIRD AMERICANIZED NAMES AND ACCENTS AND MANNERISMS. If you think YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL FILMMAKERS as to how to dub a movie, maybe you should make your own movie.

speaking of Miyazaki films, I've read that Hayao's favourite dub is the French one for 'Porco Rosso' with actor Jean Reno as the film's protagonist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.