Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How do I get the best deal from Dish Network

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-08-10, 02:51 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Dish Network is giving me a hard time. I just moved. I've had Dish for four years at my old place; standard definition on just one TV. I want to upgrade to HD, add a DVR, and add a standard definition set up in another room. The best deal they can give me requires me to pay a one time fee of $100 for the reciever box.

Dish's site currently advertises that new customers get $15 off per month for the first 12 months and up to 3 boxes for free. I told the guy that I would be renewing my commitment for 2 years and that I want the same deal as a new customer: Free box and $15 off. He says I have to pay $100 for the box and the best he can do for me is $10. I told him I'd be going with Direct TV.

What is wrong with Dish? Don't they want to keep their customers? What approach does it take to get them to give you the same price as a new customer?
Old 02-08-10, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How do I get the best deal from Dish Network

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Dish Network is giving me a hard time. I just moved. I've had Dish for four years at my old place; standard definition on just one TV. I want to upgrade to HD, add a DVR, and add a standard definition set up in another room. The best deal they can give me requires me to pay a one time fee of $100 for the reciever box.

Dish's site currently advertises that new customers get $15 off per month for the first 12 months and up to 3 boxes for free. I told the guy that I would be renewing my commitment for 2 years and that I want the same deal as a new customer: Free box and $15 off. He says I have to pay $100 for the box and the best he can do for me is $10. I told him I'd be going with Direct TV.

What is wrong with Dish? Don't they want to keep their customers? What approach does it take to get them to give you the same price as a new customer?
Well I'm not sure who you live with but you could put the "new" account under your wife,significant other,roommate name at the new address.
Old 02-08-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

im in the process of moving and was stuck between directv or dish and ended up choosing directv. Free HD Dvr, 2 free digital boxes and i choose to pay $99 for an additional HD box. im doing the choice extra plan for $35 a month plus $10 for HD and $6 for dvr.

Normally when i call to try to get a better deal I threaten to cancel and tell them what ive been offered through a competitor (so they can try and match it). if that doesnt work, call back and try a different rep or ask to speak to a rep in the cancellation department. Reps in cancellations department are usually able to over better deals than what a sales agent can normally offer, they are usually called "recovery plans"
Old 02-09-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Work for them.
Old 02-09-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dish is just doing what a lot of companies do - they offer special deals to attract new customers. And these deals are hardly ever available to existing customers. If you want an extra box, then just pay the $100.
Old 02-09-10, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpgator
If you want an extra box, then just pay the $100.
No, I'm going to direct TV
Old 02-09-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I want to go to DirecTV but my contract has 18 months left. ARGH!
Old 02-09-10, 06:57 PM

DirecTV just ditched XM/Sirius for Sonic Tap.

So far, it sucks.
Old 02-10-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Directv is the same way - I called them about upgrading one of my standard receivers to a HD receiver, and it was going to cost me around $100.

I couldn't imagine switching service over $100.
Old 02-10-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Make sure you read the fine print on the regular (non-promotional) monthly price of the package you're looking at from DirecTV and compare it against the regular monthly price of your Dish package. If it's even $5 more per month, you'd ultimately be losing money on the switch after less than two years. Additionally you may want to read reviews of the respective hardware from both companies. I have no experience with either, but you may find that paying for the Dish receiver/DVR offers a better value because it offers you a better experience.

What is wrong with Dish?
Nothing. It's not unreasonable to expect to keep customers who have been provided with good and consistent service. Bribing existing customers with promotional pricing shouldn't be necessary, assuming they take their business seriously and provide a quality experience.

Don't they want to keep their customers?
Of course. And they also want to make money. Offering free hardware to every new customer and every existing customer who might decide they want it doesn't make much financial sense.

What approach does it take to get them to give you the same price as a new customer?
To look at this from another perspective, where would you prefer for your TV service provider to devote their financial resources...throwing free hardware at anyone who wants it or maintaining and building up the infrastructure that provides you with a quality experience as an existing customer?
Old 02-10-10, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kefrank

To look at this from another perspective, where would you prefer for your TV service provider to devote their financial resources...throwing free hardware at anyone who wants it or maintaining and building up the infrastructure that provides you with a quality experience as an existing customer?
The cel phone companies do it. If you are willing to renew your contract for 2 years you'll get a free phone. The last time I checked you could get a free blackberry.

Anyway I want with DirectTV. For my needs they offered a better deal. Upgrading from one standard TV in my old home to 2 HD TV's, one with a DVR, and a third standard TV was going to cost me $200 in up front fees for boxes. They couldn't even throw me ONE for free! The service will cost $15 less than Dish for the first 10 months, and about $5 more for the remaining 14 months, but who can count on that? They'll both raise their rates by then anyway.

I also took advantage of the referal program (my brother gets Direct TV) so I saved $100 and he saves $100. Good all around.
Old 02-10-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

The cel phone companies do it. If you are willing to renew your contract for 2 years you'll get a free phone. The last time I checked you could get a free blackberry.
Not exactly. Most cell phone companies offer a subsidized phone price when a new contract is signed. The phone is only "free" if the subsidy value is equal to or greater than the regular price of the phone and many cell phone providers have reduced their subsidy level for contract renewal (presumably because it hurts profitability). Besides, the analogy breaks down because the business models are entirely different. Dish Network and DirecTV don't offer you a wide selection of receivers and DVRs at various price points and their monthly charges aren't based on usage level. The feature set of satellite receivers and DVRs is also much more static than that of cell phones, so "upgrading" receivers isn't a regular part of the customer experience like it is with cell phones.

All that said, I bet you'd find plenty of customers of some of the major cell providers (AT&T in particular) who would prefer they reallocate some of that phone subsidy money to improving the network.
Old 02-12-10, 07:48 PM

Anyway I want with DirectTV. For my needs they offered a better deal. Upgrading from one standard TV in my old home to 2 HD TV's, one with a DVR, and a third standard TV was going to cost me $200 in up front fees for boxes. They couldn't even throw me ONE for free! The service will cost $15 less than Dish for the first 10 months, and about $5 more for the remaining 14 months, but who can count on that? They'll both raise their rates by then anyway.

I also took advantage of the referal program (my brother gets Direct TV) so I saved $100 and he saves $100. Good all around.
Originally Posted by kefrank
Not exactly. Most cell phone companies offer a subsidized phone price when a new contract is signed. The phone is only "free" if the subsidy value is equal to or greater than the regular price of the phone and many cell phone providers have reduced their subsidy level for contract renewal (presumably because it hurts profitability). Besides, the analogy breaks down because the business models are entirely different. Dish Network and DirecTV don't offer you a wide selection of receivers and DVRs at various price points and their monthly charges aren't based on usage level. The feature set of satellite receivers and DVRs is also much more static than that of cell phones, so "upgrading" receivers isn't a regular part of the customer experience like it is with cell phones.

All that said, I bet you'd find plenty of customers of some of the major cell providers (AT&T in particular) who would prefer they reallocate some of that phone subsidy money to improving the network.
Kefrank makes a good argument and I tend to agree with him on this. Your comparing apples too oranges on this.
I've been with Dish for a good 10 years and if I recall they raised their prices twice in that time($1 each time). The cable co here (COX) has raised their prices numerous time in that span and I would put Dish's service up against COX any day of the week.
I recently helped my Fiancee's girlfriend upgrade her HT set up and she has COX. I went to change out her cable box for an HD one and the line was out the door. I was there for about two hours.
I stood by one of the agents working and I could safely say that 3/4 of the people there were changing out boxes because of some type of failure to them. I have changed out my box ONE time in ten years because of failure with no hassle.
YOU COULDN"T PAY ME TO CHANGE TO CABLE! Well I would change if made me a ridiculous offer (which I know they would never do) .
I gladly give up the offers they give to new customers for good service.
Old 02-14-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Well I would change if made me a ridiculous offer (which I know they would never do) .
You mean, like....high quality HD video?
Old 02-14-10, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
You mean, like....high quality HD video?
LOL yes that would be a BIG plus and then maybe they could somewhat justify their ridiculous high prices!
Old 03-02-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have Dish Network. I just saw on my last statement that their DVR plus package is no longer available, so I get another $6.00 added to my bill. Additionally, my second box went from $5/mo. to $14!!

I called a while ago to upgrade to HD locals, and they say the software/firmware upgrade would be $59!

Here is the "bill update" that says the cost will not change, but my bill went up $15.00
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/4756...e_Notification
Old 03-02-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just checked my bill and it is all different, it went from this:

Feb 01 - Feb 28 Classic Silver 200 With DVR 57.99
SilverHD 10.00
DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) 5.99
DVR Receiver 10.00
$ 83.98

To this:

HD Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
America's Top 200 With Locals 52.99
SilverHD 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
DVR Service 6.00
$ 84.99

This is AFTER I called to bitch about the cost and they gave me a 3 month $5 credit, which explains the difference in the "America's Top 200" costs, but they added charges and renamed shit. I'm not happy.
Old 03-02-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, the difference in those costs appears to be the DVR service. The service was "bundled" in the old version, note the "With DVR" in your list. It is a separate cost now, albeit $1 more. The interesting thing is they renamed this back to the name it was around 2 years ago. So, where does the extra $5 come from?

What does the protection plan do for you? This is where I'd look to drop something.

I'm annoyed with DirecTV right now, they just upped my cost as of Feb $4.74. The DVR fee went up another $1, and my package amount went up $3.50. This is the biggest hike in years.

Last edited by Spiky; 03-02-10 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
What does the protection plan do for you? This is where I'd look to drop something.
The protection plan is just about worthless.

First, most Dish customers don't own their equipment, so if something goes wrong with their DVR, shouldn't Dish already pay to replace it? If your rental car's engine dies while your using it, the customer doesn't pay to fix it, do they? Your paying $16 a month to lease the stupid thing already, now they want another $6/month to replace it if something goes wrong?

Second, even if something does go wrong with your Dish equipment, you can call and add the DHPP (Dish Home Protection Plan) and then (on the same call, with the same CSR), have them replace a DVR that died BEFORE you had the DHPP. You can then cancel said protection plan off your very next bill. Doesn't quite make sense, but then again, neither does the first point.

Last edited by btbrossard; 03-03-10 at 04:16 AM.