Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any way to repair "label side" scratches (flipper disc)?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-30-10, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently put a good chunk of change into a DVD resurfacing machine - it works wonders on repairing discs (even with deep scratches), and has gotten me to buy used discs without checking them for scratches, knowing I can always repair them..

Or so I thought. I picked up a number of DVDs on the cheap at a Swap Meet, only to find that 7 of them are flipper discs - some that aren't in the greatest condition. There doesn't appear to be permanent damage (I can't see through the discs), they're just beaten up pretty badly.

The problem with the resurfacing machine is that it grinds down the layers on the bottom of a disc - doing it on the top (which is what a flipper disc uses) would grind off the data layer.

Are there any ways to repair these types of scratches?

And another question - how do you tell which side is the data layer and which is the plastic side? Some make it easy, but others have stickers on the inner rings of both sides to state if it's A or B.
Old 01-30-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Any way to repair "label side" scratches (flipper disc)?

I thought Flippers had the data layers sandwiched between two plastic discs; is that not the case?
Old 01-31-10, 11:52 AM

I'm not sure - that would be great if true though!

I recall seeing 'warnings' not to use double-sided discs though. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 01-31-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only guess would be that while cleaning one side, the other side might get damaged by the machine. I've never attempted to clean a double-sided disc before.
Old 01-31-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at my Blown Away flipper, it looks like it is indeed two plastic discs sandwiching the data layers, however there are tacks every 1/8th of an inch and those are probably what hold the discs together. The only problem I see with using a double disc is that it would separate, not that the data would be scratched on top.
Old 01-31-10, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca
Looking at my Blown Away flipper, it looks like it is indeed two plastic discs sandwiching the data layers, however there are tacks every 1/8th of an inch and those are probably what hold the discs together. The only problem I see with using a double disc is that it would separate, not that the data would be scratched on top.
Interesting - I'll have to check them out and see how well they play before "trying" it. The machine seems to clamp the disc pretty tight, but it also uses enough force to grind the layer down. I'll report back if I ever give it a shot.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey SpiderOne!

Don;t worry about it. I have done dozens of repairs on double sided DVDs. As long as you clamp the DVD down tight and have the machine clean when you do it you should not have any issues. Do you have a JFJ?

Where do you get your supplies cheap?
Old 02-01-10, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also resurfaced plenty of flippers. The hardest part is keeping the side you are not resurfacing clean...seems like you have to keep going back and forth between the sides until you can get them both clean. Takes a little longer, but it can be done.
Old 02-01-10, 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel better

Keeping them clean shouldn't be a problem - I have a big bag of all sorts of random disc cleaning supplies/microfiber cloths.

C_Fletch: I was going to get the JFJ but went for the Simo: http://www.amazon.com/Simotech-DSR-R.../dp/B000GX31G6

The price just seemed a little better (and in the past month has dropped about 25% further), plus all the great reviews. It really works nicely (and I'm usually picky about disc condition)!

The only place to buy supplies is http://www.dvdrepairmachine.com/

They seem to be decent prices (about $7 per item), but I've already spent about $75 on supplies since buying the thing (more to have them "just in case" they shut down). They really do add up when you buy a few boxes of pads and creams.
Old 02-01-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool - I had wondered about the Simo but figured I did not want to chance it so I picked up the JFJ for about $170 - it's paid for itself many times over. I love pawnshops as I can get DVD for $2 a piece. Finding out of print titles is just too easy and I was running into issues with scratched discs so it was a no brainer for me.

Prices for the supplies are not cheap though - $10 for a buffing pad, $16 for the a 22oz bottle of the polish.

I was just hoping you know of a place to get them cheaper. At one point in time there was a guy on Ebay selling info on a place to get them cheap but he is no longer a seller. Ever since then I have been trying to find that place.

Very cool that the Simo works great. Seemed like a decent machine but the JFJ was made out of welded steel and a local business had one I was able to look at so....
Old 02-01-10, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Very cool - I had wondered about the Simo but figured I did not want to chance it so I picked up the JFJ for about $170 - it's paid for itself many times over. I love pawnshops as I can get DVD for $2 a piece. Finding out of print titles is just too easy and I was running into issues with scratched discs so it was a no brainer for me.

Prices for the supplies are not cheap though - $10 for a buffing pad, $16 for the a 22oz bottle of the polish.

I was just hoping you know of a place to get them cheaper. At one point in time there was a guy on Ebay selling info on a place to get them cheap but he is no longer a seller. Ever since then I have been trying to find that place.

Very cool that the Simo works great. Seemed like a decent machine but the JFJ was made out of welded steel and a local business had one I was able to look at so....
I was really tempted on the JFJ - The price seemed to be much more (~$200 compared to (the now) ~$100 of the Simo, and only about 1/4th the reviews), but looking at the 3rd party sellers, the difference really isn't much. I remember looking at the Simo years ago and wanting one, but couldnt justify the ~$200 price tag. Kept it in my wishlist and then after picking up a bunch of $1 DVDs at blockbuster (out of business sale) and 3/$5 discs at the swap meet, I figured it was time. Definitely paid for itself in the few weeks I've had it. It really does "polish" the disc to look like-new. The supplies seem to be completely different than the JFJ (you mention a 22oz. bottle - the simo uses 1oz. bottles that are enough for about 50-75 discs).

Another question (going back to the flippers) - how much can you resurface them? if it's sandwiched, is the plastic layer on each side about half of what a normal DVD uses?
Old 02-01-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Another question (going back to the flippers) - how much can you resurface them? if it's sandwiched, is the plastic layer on each side about half of what a normal DVD uses?
I would assume it's half the width due to plastic being on both sides of the data lyer but when I resurface I typically don't do anything but the buffing so it does not take that much of plastic off the disc but your machine may be different. Does yours have a sanding pad? Or do you just use the buffing portion?

If the scratches are TOO deep then I need to use the sanding pad first then the buffing. I would be very hesitant to due this to a dual sided DVD due to the plastic being thinner. I don;t think there would be a problem though, I would just be careful and not sand the DVD for more then 20 seconds.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 02-01-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
I would assume it's half the width due to plastic being on both sides of the data lyer but when I resurface I typically don't do anything but the buffing so it does not take that much of plastic off the disc but your machine may be different. Does yours have a sanding pad? Or do you just use the buffing portion?

If the scratches are TOO deep then I need to use the sanding pad first then the buffing. I would be very hesitant to due this to a dual sided DVD due to the plastic being thinner. I don;t think there would be a problem though, I would just be careful and not sand the DVD for more then 20 seconds.
Thanks, I'll try the buffing pad first (the machine uses a "sanding" pad for deep scratches, a buffing pad to make the disc look new again (on lighter scratches) a rough sanding block that just tears layers off the disc (for badly damaged ones - I havent had to use this one yet), and a cleaning pad (I've also never used this one)). I'll try to find my 'least valuable' of the stack and use it for trial and error. The Simo does 10 second cycles and for badly damaged ones I usually put it in for 4 cycles - I'll try 2 cycles and see how that turns out.

Very good to know though, as I had some other discs that I've been scared to resurface due to them being double-sided. It just seemed annoying that "side A" was the fullscreen version and "Side B" (the top) was the widescreen version - I just figured I could only resurface the FS side, so this news is very good!
Old 02-01-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Thanks, I'll try the buffing pad first (the machine uses a "sanding" pad for deep scratches, a buffing pad to make the disc look new again (on lighter scratches) a rough sanding block that just tears layers off the disc (for badly damaged ones - I havent had to use this one yet), and a cleaning pad (I've also never used this one)). I'll try to find my 'least valuable' of the stack and use it for trial and error. The Simo does 10 second cycles and for badly damaged ones I usually put it in for 4 cycles - I'll try 2 cycles and see how that turns out.

Very good to know though, as I had some other discs that I've been scared to resurface due to them being double-sided. It just seemed annoying that "side A" was the fullscreen version and "Side B" (the top) was the widescreen version - I just figured I could only resurface the FS side, so this news is very good!
I always find REALLY cheap discs so that I can test on them first. I have a small stack to perfect the sanding function as it is a little more difficult. Pawn shops are good places to find these as they will sell them to you cheaper since they will probably not sell that way anyway. Or you can take a blank CD to test but they obviously don;t make dual sided blank DVDs so....

Last edited by C_Fletch; 02-01-10 at 06:53 PM.