Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-20-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note: Contiuned from old Spider-man 4 thread. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...st-etc-15.html

Let's kick things off with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6v1dgTcxw
Old 01-20-10, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

you can just do this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg6v1dgTcxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg6v1dgTcxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-20-10, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well... I wouldn't mind something "different" since we already got 3 movies that were extremely close to the comic portrayal of Spider-man (the third movie especially so).

but he's not like Iron Man or Superman. Superman was so iconic that just seeing him come alive on the screen, even though the movie itself is rather dreary, was exciting enough. Iron Man is a character that could have gone in so many directions, partially because the character itself was so poorly developed in the comics.

Spider-man really has to stick to the core of the appeal behind his character... and that can get tiresome to watch very easily.

Last edited by Superboy; 01-20-10 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this whole idea is just awful. Awful director, awful plot, awful everything.
Old 01-20-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
The third film was SO far removed from the comic version of Spider-Man, as well as the other characters (Venom, anyone? Gwen? MJ? Harry? Uncle Ben's death ret-con?). THIS was the reason for the (almost universally) bad reviews!
I thought the reason for the bad reviews was because the movie stunk, not because it didn't follow the comic book closely. For Spider-Man fans, absolutely, but generally speaking the story was terrible to go along with the laughable performances.
Old 01-20-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Uhm, no, the reason for the bad reviews had nothing to do with it being far removed from the comics.

The bad reviews were more from how idiotic the plotline was involving the three leads and how corny emo Parker was. I couldn't care less if it stayed true to Venom, Gwen, MJ or the re-cut Uncle Ben's death, it still could have been a great flick. It just wasn't.
Old 01-20-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Marc Webb quotes:

I love the current Spiderman comic and video games. I'm going to take this Spiderman trilogy to the next level. I want to make Spiderman more into an epic with huge wars. My son and I love the Web of Shadows video game. I think it would be a great challenge if Spiderman battled Venom, Anti-Venom, and an army of symbiote-infested creatures. Spiderman has never handled so many villains in a movie before. It would be a great challenge to see how Spiderman deals with so many villains and how he saves the city of New York. I would also love to see the team-up of Spiderman and Moon Knight, because Moon Knight is Jewish."

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-20-10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 09:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't be any worse than part 3.
Old 01-20-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

A movie version of Web of Shadows? BRING IT!
Old 01-20-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Marc Webb quotes:

I love the current Spiderman comic and video games. I'm going to take this Spiderman trilogy to the next level. I want to make Spiderman more into an epic with huge wars. My son and I love the Web of Shadows video game. I think it would be a great challenge if Spiderman battled Venom, Anti-Venom, and an army of symbiote-infested creatures. Spiderman has never handled so many villains in a movie before. It would be a great challenge to see how Spiderman deals with so many villains and how he saves the city of New York. I would also love to see the team-up of Spiderman and Moon Knight, because Moon Knight is Jewish."
what an odd thing to say..
Old 01-20-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ For some reason that made me think of Adam Sandler and John Turturro teaming up at the end of Don't Mess With The Zohan ...
Old 01-20-10, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
A movie version of Web of Shadows? BRING IT!
As much as I love certain parts of the game it's repetitive, but very fun if you're into Spidey. It's a B game. Maybe a B- at it's worst (which I have issue saying cuz I like the game but it's repetition really irks me.
Old 01-20-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For people that didnt notice, i was just being sarcastic! I cant believe any spidey fan would want to see an army of venoms movie!

I would love to see Zoe Deshanel cast in this movie then, maybe as betty brant
Old 01-20-10, 01:24 PM
Banned

.....You'd be amazed by how some Spidey fans can't tell a good Spidey story from a bad Spidey story w/ "awesome" visuals and whatnot. Sometimes...visuals are all people want.
Old 01-20-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
For people that didnt notice, i was just being sarcastic! I cant believe any spidey fan would want to see an army of venoms movie!
Old 01-20-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ For some reason that made me think of Adam Sandler and John Turturro teaming up at the end of Don't Mess With The Zohan ...
SPOILERS!!!!! Great I cant undo it now
Old 01-20-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Marc Webb to direct 'Spider-Man' reboot
Sony taps '500 Days' helmer for franchise revamp
By TATIANA SIEGEL

Marc Webb is taking on Sony's webslinger.

Aptly named helmer has signed on to direct the studio's relaunch of the "Spider-Man" franchise, which will bow theatrically in summer 2012.

Webb was a runner-up for job of helming Sony's "Moneyball." His name began to surface last week after the studio pulled the plug on a Sam Raimi-directed, Tobey Maguire-toplined "Spider-Man 4." Similarly, everyone from Robert Pattinson to Jim Sturgess has been rumored to be on Sony's star wishlist. However, a project insider said the studio wanted to lock down a helmer before turning its attentions to casting the Marvel superhero, who will be portrayed as a high schooler coming into his powers.

Sony is having to delicately balance trumpeting its relaunch with trying not to alienate the cast and director of the three recent "Spider-Man" films, which were box office blockbusters. Raimi has several projects in development at Sony, including "The Given Day."

Webb comes much cheaper for the studio and is locked down for only one pic. Deal being negotiated includes options for more pics -- fairly standard on a franchise.

New "Spider-Man," written by James Vanderbilt, will begin lensing later this year. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin are producing.

Webb said, “This is a dream come true and I couldn't be more aware of the challenge, responsibility, or opportunity. Sam Raimi's virtuoso rendering of Spider-Man is a humbling precedent to follow and build upon. The first three films are beloved for good reason. But I think the Spider-Man mythology transcends not only generations but directors as well. I am signing on not to ‘take over’ from Sam. That would be impossible. Not to mention arrogant. I'm here because there's an opportunity for ideas, stories, and histories that will add a new dimension, canvas, and creative voice to Spider-Man.

New "Spider-Man," written by James Vanderbilt, will begin lensing later this year. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin are producing.

Webb, whose "(500) Days of Summer" has been an awards-season contender, was quick to point out that he isn't taking over for Raimi. That would be impossible, not to mention arrogant," he said. "I'm here because there's an opportunity for ideas, stories and histories that will add a new dimension, canvas and creative voice to 'Spider-Man.'"

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-20-10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't like 500 Days of Summer at all, and haven't really been a huge film of the Spider-Man films. Casting, and a trailer will be my decision-maker.
Old 01-20-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I actually enjoyed (500) Days of Summer quite a bit but I have no idea how that translates into this guy making a good Spidey film.
Old 01-20-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He's really going to do "Spider-Man: The Musical" for the big screen... oh wait, they sort of already did that in the last Spidey flick.
Old 01-20-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dammit, Marc Webb seemed to be doing a new version of Jesus Christ Superstar, which would be awesome. Now that's going to be put on hold probably due to Spiderman.

Who wants to bet that Marc Webb is going to cast Matthew Gray Gubler as Peter Parker? He's the friend in 500 Days of Summer and he's the voice of Simon (nerd chipmunk) in Alvin and the Chipmunks. He's an unknown, he can be geeky, he can be studly, he's likable (unlike Tobey Maguire or Joseph Levitt Hewitt), and he has presence. He's 6 feet 1, but Hugh Jackman is tall too. The height thing didn't stop him from being Wolverine.

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-20-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to cast a 30 year old, then go with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. But they will go younger. I read that Logan Lerman (even with the Percy Jackson franchise on the horizon) might be in the running, and he's only 18 years old.
Old 01-20-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
If you're going to cast a 30 year old, then go with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. But they will go younger. I read that Logan Lerman (even with the Percy Jackson franchise on the horizon) might be in the running, and he's only 18 years old.
I would like it if they cast JGL as Peter Parker. He seems to have the right physique to portray an agile wall-crawler, plus he has the acting chops to pull off the range of emotions needed. I'm sure the look of anguish he can portray would be more tolerable to see on-screen than Tobey's "Ooohh I'm holding back a shit soooo bad" face (when bringing the out-of-control subway train to a halt in SM2).
Old 01-20-10, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I actually enjoyed (500) Days of Summer quite a bit but I have no idea how that translates into this guy making a good Spidey film.
yeah, I'm still kinda confused on that too. Not a bad filmmaker, just basing it off his debut film. Huge step and risk for sure. I almost want to say that he may be more controllable of a director, considering he's new, for Sony to influence or provide for.
Old 01-20-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

More quotes from the press statement:

Stan Lee, co-creator of Spider-Man, added, "I'm excited that Sony has chosen a director with a real penchant and understanding for the character. This is a brave, bold direction for the franchise, and I can't wait to see what Marc comes up with next."

Added Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, "The idea of re-imagining the on-screen story for one of the world's most iconic superheros is sure to deliver an exciting new dimension to Spider-Man fans everywhere. There are volumes of comics and material available to inspire fresh and compelling takes on Peter Parker and his journey as Spidey and we look forward to seeing this come alive onscreen."
They all seem high on the guy... maybe Marvel can somehow force the recognition of the rest of the Marvel Universe features so that Spidey isn't so bottled in. I don't think a studio has to include other franchise heroes in a film, but at least acknowledgement that they exist (ie. Iron Man, Thor, Hulk) can alleviate the fact that Spidey isn't the only hero in the world that needs to take on villains.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-20-10 at 04:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.