Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

School me on in-wall/in-ceiling speakers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-25-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal expense driven project next spring is to swap out my existing speakers with in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. At the moment, I am looking at SpeakerCraft but I'm open to suggestions. I think the front LRC will be in wall, the rear surrounds (4!!!) will be in-ceiling. I toyed with the idea of the sub being in-wall as well, but that looks very challenging/expensive.

What sort of gotchas are out there for this project? Have you done it?

My garage is on the other side of the front wall, so I have additional options of maybe knocking the wall out and pushing it back 4-6 feet but I'd like to stay away from major construction. Current seating that I am happy with is about 9' viewing distance to the wall.

I will be hooking into a mid-range Denon receiver that with the rest of the components will also be going in-wall. This allows me to finally wall mount the 50" plasma.

Help me before I make a big mistake.
Old 12-25-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 350 Posts
Re: School me on in-wall/in-ceiling speakers

I think in wall speakers can work well. But why are you doing it? Are you doing it for good sound or good looks? Or both.

While I would try to never skimp on speakers, I think in wall is even more important. Personally I'd look at something like the B&W or KEF. Maybe Polk. Especially if this is your main system.
Old 12-26-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Primarily as a space saving/room aesthetics thing. I don't mind buying quality, but four large speakers in the back of the room is cramping my style.
Old 12-26-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Speakercraft is a good IW/IC speaker. Also consider Niles, great, but a little pricey
Old 12-26-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My sister has Paradigm in walls in her house, which I think sound pretty decent. I have no idea what they cost them, however.
Old 12-28-09, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No in-wall or in-ceiling speaker can ever match its free-standing counterpart. So if you are really going for audiophile quality, don't go in-wall. Maybe you want to loot at on-wall speakers, which to me, sound a lot better.

SpeakerCraft is okay. It's certainly not as superior sounding as Paradigms or Definitive Technology. I've heard B&W in-walls extensively in a friend's home theater, and I think they are overpriced. As far as your arrangement goes, I don't think putting four in-ceiling speakers will be as effective as placing a couple of the surrounds on vertical walls, the way the editors at WIDESCREEN REVIEW and DTS suggest.
Old 12-28-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I use B&W cinema series in walls in my theater. I have been very pleased and so have my guests
Old 01-01-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
No in-wall or in-ceiling speaker can ever match its free-standing counterpart. So if you are really going for audiophile quality, don't go in-wall. Maybe you want to loot at on-wall speakers, which to me, sound a lot better.

SpeakerCraft is okay. It's certainly not as superior sounding as Paradigms or Definitive Technology. I've heard B&W in-walls extensively in a friend's home theater, and I think they are overpriced. As far as your arrangement goes, I don't think putting four in-ceiling speakers will be as effective as placing a couple of the surrounds on vertical walls, the way the editors at WIDESCREEN REVIEW and DTS suggest.
I'm going to sort of disagree with you. Not so much in what your saying, but in how you said it.

1st, I'd argue there are no in wall speakers that have "free standing counterparts" to directly compare. Sure some in wall speakers may use a similar driver here and there, or similar crossover or other electronics. But in wall speakers by there nature are different than free standing.

2nd, "can never match" is way, WAY to subjective when it comes to speakers. We all know and all agree that you can take two different $25,000 speaker systems and they will both be good and both sound totally different than each other. This applies to less expensive speakers. And we are not even to personal choice yet. For example, I'm not a Klipsch fan. I acknowledge they are a good speaker, have a good fan base, but I just don't prefer the sound and would never own a pair. Does Klipsch "come close to matching" the speakers I prefer? Oh who know. For some without a doubt and better. For others not so much.

3rd, so what is the point? Can you spend a zillion dollars and make the best sounding system ever know to man out of in wall speakers? Well of course it depends on the man that is listening. You might argue you cannot. However, what I will argue without a doubt, is that you can make an very good sounding system out of in wall speakers. And you can make an very good system with a reasonable amount of money. You can have a very good, enjoyable and even impressive sounding system with in wall speakers. Will it be "better" than free standing? Yes, it will be better than many free standing speakers. And you will find a lot of free standing speakers that sound better. Just like with free standing speakers. There are better one's and not better one's.

4th, being free standing doesn't automatically make a speaker good. I get some what amused by people "only" looking for floor standing speakers. As if having a large cabinet makes them better (I'd argue the larger the cabinet the more difficult to make them sound better).

5th, I'd go with in wall speakers from well know quality speaker companies. KEF, B&W, etc.

LOL...sorry for the rant...guess I do disagree....ha....lol
Old 01-01-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding is retrofitting in-ceiling speakers will involve some major construction. Going with the joists are easy, going sideways will not be. I too would look at some top quality box speakers to hang on the wall. I have experience with both Def Tech and Paradigm and the sound is excellent.
Old 01-02-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
No in-wall or in-ceiling speaker can ever match its free-standing counterpart.
I don't agree with this statement. When I designed my 7.1 system I went with Klipsch R-5800-W for my sides and Klipsch CDT-3800-C for the back surround speakers. I compared them to free-standing and (to me) they sound outstanding. Now you may have to pay more for great sounding in-wall speakers, but they can match free-standing speakers.
Old 01-02-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKobra
I don't agree with this statement. When I designed my 7.1 system I went with Klipsch R-5800-W for my sides and Klipsch CDT-3800-C for the back surround speakers. I compared them to free-standing and (to me) they sound outstanding. Now you may have to pay more for great sounding in-wall speakers, but they can match free-standing speakers.

I think that's what he meant. Dollar for dollar the self contained speaker will sound better than the in wall speaker of equilavent cost. Which I believe is true from when I was looking at that option. I ended up going with speakers to hang on the wall. The confusing part is the in wall speaker has no box and relies on the studs and drywall to complete the box, therefore you would think that they should be cheaper.