Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is Panasonic Blu Ray DMP-BD60 Netflix ready?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-25-09, 08:58 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received a Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu Ray Player and the staff at Best Buy told my wife that it would play Netflix streaming.

While th box says Viera cast and YouTube, there is no mention of the Netflix feature.

Did they misinform her? Or will it play Netflix streaming?
Old 12-25-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Is Panasonic Blu Ray DMP-BD60 Netflix ready?

It will not stream netflix.
Old 12-25-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 159 Likes on 121 Posts

it will do amazon.com streaming but not netflix and imagine that a Worst Buy employee that doesn't know anything about the products they sell
Old 12-25-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

It's a great player, I have one. I'm most impressed with how good it upconverts DVDs
Old 12-25-09, 11:03 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

If I were to add a WiFi adaptor, would that enable Netflix to be played, or is just a case of the player's firmware not supporting Netflix?
Old 12-25-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
If I were to add a WiFi adaptor, would that enable Netflix to be played, or is just a case of the player's firmware not supporting Netflix?

This would do nothing for Netflix. I never recommend firmware updates over the web. Best to download it to thumb-drive and upgrade that way.
Old 12-25-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why? The Panny BD players can update automatically via ethernet, you'd never really notice. And it works just fine.
Old 12-25-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All it takes is a bad download to brick the player.
Old 12-25-09, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheKobra
All it takes is a bad download to brick the player.
True but Doesn't happen very often and pretty sure they would fix or replace it.
Old 12-25-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they screw my player, I'll get a new one free. I haven't even heard of that happening to any player, not if you mean what I would mean by "brick". Although, I'll admit I do manual updates rather than auto. For the reason of waiting to see if firmware is helpful or causes some issue. I like to let other users beta test.

These companies have a history of making CD/SD/USB updates a real PITA. Panny is one of the better ones, but still there are some bizarre things they've done. Like putting out subsequent updates in different file formats so you have to understand all that to use it. Average people can easily handle ethernet.
Old 12-26-09, 01:44 PM

It does not do Netflix. There has been some talk of the possibility of Panasonic adding Netflix all year, but now it doesn't seem likely before the next generation of players. Technically, I think they could add it through their Vieracast interface, but I assume they haven't added it because Panasonic couldn't come to an agreement with Netflix.

I've done all the updates over the network without a problem.
Old 01-14-10, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grandie
It does not do Netflix. There has been some talk of the possibility of Panasonic adding Netflix all year, but now it doesn't seem likely before the next generation of players. Technically, I think they could add it through their Vieracast interface, but I assume they haven't added it because Panasonic couldn't come to an agreement with Netflix.

I've done all the updates over the network without a problem.

It's being added: Google "Panasonic Adds Major New Content and Features to VIERA CAST(TM) HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc Players" with the quotes (I can't post URLs yet).
Old 01-14-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_R
It's being added: Google "Panasonic Adds Major New Content and Features to VIERA CAST(TM) HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc Players" with the quotes (I can't post URLs yet).
Where is your source for this? So far the only thing I have seen is that 2010 products with Viera Cast will receive these added features. The status of previous 2009 models (e.g. DMP-BD60 and 80) is unknown.
Old 01-17-10, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Where is your source for this? So far the only thing I have seen is that 2010 products with Viera Cast will receive these added features. The status of previous 2009 models (e.g. DMP-BD60 and 80) is unknown.
I saw an article saying 2009 Panasonic Blu-ray players chipset won't allow an update to include the new additions this year. I have a TV and Blu-ray player with viera cast on it. If the Blu-ray can't be updated that's fine as long as the TV can be updated. I'd rather pay for netflix then the $2-$5 each to rent movies from amazon VOD.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/CE...-Players.shtml
Old 01-19-10, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AxelBay
I saw an article saying 2009 Panasonic Blu-ray players chipset won't allow an update to include the new additions this year.
Well, I suspect this is not a technical issue, but a question of marketing or licensing. There were rumors of Netflix possibly being added last year and the 2009 models have had new features "coming soon" that were added during the life of the product (such as Amazon VOD). Vieracast features work through Panasonic's remote servers, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to add Netflix support with a server and firmware update. I'm guessing most of the code could be easily re-used or ported from the 2010 models.

Anyway, the current official word is that owners of 2009 will not be getting Netflix. I guess they want owners of perfectly capable 2009 models to buy brand new machines for the new feature.

I'm hoping that Panasonic eventually comes around and adds Netflix for owners of last years models, but I think it's unlikely.
Old 01-20-10, 07:15 AM

I got my brother a BD60 for Christmas...gotta say that the vierra cast or whatever they call the online content screen is kinda boring in its design. My friend has a Samsung BD player that seems to have a way better online UI.

The BD60 streams amazon? I didn't see it on the player...maybe he has to update his firmware.
Old 01-20-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandie
Well, I suspect this is not a technical issue, but a question of marketing or licensing. There were rumors of Netflix possibly being added last year and the 2009 models have had new features "coming soon" that were added during the life of the product (such as Amazon VOD). Vieracast features work through Panasonic's remote servers, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to add Netflix support with a server and firmware update. I'm guessing most of the code could be easily re-used or ported from the 2010 models.

Anyway, the current official word is that owners of 2009 will not be getting Netflix. I guess they want owners of perfectly capable 2009 models to buy brand new machines for the new feature.

I'm hoping that Panasonic eventually comes around and adds Netflix for owners of last years models, but I think it's unlikely.
If it's honestly a chipset issue then I understand. However, if it's a marketing and/or profit issue then I think that's a very low move on their part. Otherwise how could you sell on, "Coming Soon" and then willfully omitt something?
Old 01-22-10, 10:25 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by vice86
The BD60 streams amazon? I didn't see it on the player...maybe he has to update his firmware.
There should be a dedicated Amazon component on the VieraCast menu.