View Single Post
Old 09-18-09, 10:15 PM   #23
takingchase

Re: The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***LISTS GO HERE!*

October 1
I remember the first time watching this I didn't think it was all that I had hoped. Upon revisiting it I'm still not that impressed but I did enjoy it more. It's not bad for a newer horror movie, it definitely has it's fun moments. In the end I'm still left wishing for a better movie RATING: 5/10
"So what do you guys think: Ancient Mayan temple off the beaten path? "

Boobs, boobs, and more boobs. This movie sure has a hell of a lot of tits in it which can never be a bad thing, well sometimes. Believe it or not this was my fiance's pick. The movie certainly isn't bad, it's a big throwback to the old sexploitation flicks and for the most part it pulls it off pretty well. Mary Carey's giant juggs kept me entertained for a good portion of the picture but when she leaves the movie starts to drag. One of the girls introduced later on, Juliette Clark I believe, makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Maybe it's just me but I found her to be quite repulsive and wished she had kept her clothes on a little more. As far as horror goes this is pretty goofy stuff. I can say the killer genuinely caught me off guard, as stupid as it was. All in all it's not a bad time wasterRATING 6/10

I love going into a movie knowing nothing about it. Whoever it was from dvdtalk that recomended this film I can't thank you enough. While the characters really rubbed me the wrong way fast as the movie progressed it just got better and better. Definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I don't know what else to say other than check this movie out.RATING 8/10

October 2
This movie remains as one of my favorite slasher flicks. I have seen it far to many times and I was glad to share in it with my fiance who has never seen the movie. This was the movie that turned me into a Christian Bale fan. RATING 9/10

I had bought the Masters of Horror season 1 set a few years back and for some reason never got around to watching any of them till now. My first entry was John Carpenters Cigarette Burns and I have to say it wasn't bad. Some of the visuals in the movie really got the gore lover in me satisfied. If the rest of box set is around the same level as this movie I will be very happy. RATING 7/10

Next up in my mini MOH marathon is Argento's Jenifer. This was another fun watch for me. Admittedly I have never been much of an Argento fan but I think he did a fairly good job with this twisted love story. It was fun seeing Steven Weber again as I can't really remember him from anything other than Wings. I think he did a fairly good job with the role he was given. This was another solid entry in the series for me. RATING 7/10

I wasn't expecting as much out of Larry Cohen as I was with my last two MOH viewings but much to my surprise this was a fairly entertaining entry. The movie played out more like a black comedy than an actual horror movie though. While not really all that funny or all that scary it didn't bore me so that's a good thing. I enjoyed it but it's to bad it didn't deliver more because I do like the premise. RATING 6/10

October 3
There is something about this movie that I have always liked. I know it's not the best film and I have always hated Keanu Reeves but for some reason I find myself returning time after time for repeated viewings. Sure it has it's problems but it's just so damn entertaining and to be fair Reeves could have done a lot worse. He actually manages to somewhat pull a decent performance, well at least better than I've come to expect from him. All in all, this is probably my 8th or so viewing and I still felt entranced and entertained throughout and that can't be a bad thing. The only other thing I have to say is that the depiction of hell in this movie is excellent. I know the reviews aren't so strong on this one and if you haven't seen it yet because of that, try it out. It may not be the best movie but at least you won't fall asleep.RATING 7/10

I'm a little ashamed to say this was a first time viewing for me. Because I hadn't for some reason seen this classic movie yet I was really looking forward to it. Needless to say I was a little disappointed. Now that's not to say it wasn't good because it was. I just feel like maybe I held higher standards for it because it's just one of those movies you have to see. I think I'll have to jump on board with everyone and say I didn't see Tobe Hooper anywhere in this picture. It had a Spielberg vibe throughout. RATING 7/10

"Eh," that about sums up how I feel about this movie. It's not that I hated it and it's not that I particularly liked it. It was very mediocre. The acting is good but unfortunately the story isn't, I didn't care much for anything happening except for the killing. The violence was unflinching and some moments had me giggling(yes that's right, for some reason I laugh at moments of extreme violence)at all that was happening on screen. It definitely pleased the gore lover in me. The one gripe I have about the gore is that occasionally they veered into CG for the blood and gore and it just came off as bad and cartoon like. I won't say anything to in depth but the ending was absolutely retarded. The movie doesn't set it up what so ever, it's not a twist it's just dumb. I get this is Clive Barker and all but there was almost no hinting to that conclusion anywhere else in the film. RATING 5/10

October 4
Wow, this was pretty boring. It's the story about a teenage girl who has what I think was a heart attack and dies but remains functional. Her family then tries to dispatch of her as she begins to rot and decay. To be fair for how low budget it was there is some fairly decent gore though not very much of it. Most of the film was shot in B&W so I have a feeling that helped with the convincing of the gore. Either way I would never sit through this again. RATING 2/10

I admittedly fell asleep my first attempt at watching this. A movie with boobs and killing and I fell asleep, I think that says a whole lot. I kind of knew this wasn't going to be all that great but I was hoping to at least be entertained throughout. Sadly it didn't do much for me. RATING 4/10

October 5
There is a certain point in this movie where a character picks up a chainsaw and spews out "Ash would be so proud." I actually almost took that as an insult. This movie is so bad it feels like a slap in the face that they would even mention Evil Dead. Now I may be a little biased because I know quite a bit about the filming and the crew of this movie and well the director is probably the biggest tool in the film industry. This movie is basically a poor excuse for scene kids to make a zombie flick and it shows complete with terrible music and all. This isn't one of those it's so bad it's good horror movies its just BAD. They were working on a very tight budget and I know this but the video just looks so awful and choppy. I feel as though I'm watching some CAM recording someone took at the theater to bootleg. The sound mix is pretty awful too, it doesn't help that the director felt like he could do a better job voicing over quite a few scenes in which it sounds awful and like a terrible asian to english track dubbing. It's a little noticeable when the characters voices change out of the blue. This movie has absolutely no ending, and I mean no ending whatsoever. I can't tell if thats a good thing or if it just pissed me off more. On the better end of the spectrum at least it ended quicker that way. I know the Dimension Extreme label isn't know for churning out all quality but how anyone payed these guys for this movie is beyond me. To the films credit I will give it this: The gore and makeup certainly isn't all that bad and some of the actors aren't entirely terrible but that is the only shining beacon of light I can find and the only reason it gets any kind of rating from me rather than a 0. RATING 1/10

It's not that this movie is entirely bad, it's just not what I was expecting. I picked this up awhile back cheap at blockbuster because the cover art was interesting and on the front it boasts "A combination of Oldboy and Fight Club," Which just happen to be to of my favorite films. Turn it around to the other side and we have the quote "Cult status among asian horror fans is assured." I know that these quotes are usually BS but coupled with the intense looking cover art it seemed like a good blind buy. Again it isn't that it's bad but it was a whole hell of a lot slower than the package made me believe. All in all it was a decent enough movie although the end really kind of dragged on longer than it needed to. RATING 6/10

October 6
This movie just does everything right for me. From beginning to end I just can't help but be completely entertained. It helps that science fiction and horror are my two favorite genres so the pairing is just perfect for me. RATING 9/10

I have owned all the Alien movies for some time now and with how much I love Alien I'm actually quite surprised it took me this long to watch the rest of the entries. Aliens is another solid film, while it turns up the action in lieu of horror a bit I still found it to be one fun ride even though I did find myself missing the Claustrophobic tension that Alien brings to the to the table. It's a fantastic film for what it is and probably one of the best sequels that I've seen. RATING 8/10

My fiance had never seen Lost Boys so it was a perfect opportunity to finally open up the copy I had purchased to long ago. It has been a couple years since I've last seen the flick but it's still as fun as I remember. While not really delivering on the scares it's a great look into the 80's and just all around fun. RATING 7/10

I can't remember the last time I had this much fun at the theaters. I don't get all the complaining about Jesse Eisenberg, personally I prefer him to Michael Cera and think he does a great job with the role he's given. Woody is just a hell of a lot of fun any time he's on screen and the movie has the best cameo I've ever seen. I know this rating will probably drop with repeated viewings but right now I couldn't have possibly been more pleased with the movie. RATING 9/10

October 7
With how much I enjoyed the first two Alien films it was a real shame this wasn't better. I actually liked the plot and the setting a lot but the movie just didn't deliver. I still can't put my finger on what felt wrong about the movie, maybe it was just that I watched it within a day of the fantastic first two films. RATING 5/10

Substantially better than Alien 3 but not quite to the height of greatness that the first two achieved. What it leaves me with is an engaging movie that's good enough. It doesn't hurt that Ron Perlman is fun to watch in nearly anything he plays. On a final note, What's with the last Alien? It looks like it has down syndrome.RATING 6/10

I may be alone on this but I always found Near Dark to be the superior Vampire flick of the 80's. I love Lost Boys but I always enjoyed Near Dark far more. Maybe it's just because my grandfather raised me on Westerns and this movie oozes that western feeling. It was a lot of fun watching this after Aliens because most of the cast is here and for some reason I never realized until now that Caleb was Nathan from Heroes. If it weren't for the ending falling flat this would probably be one of my favorite horror films. RATING 8/10

Wow, I'm still not quite sure what I just witnessed. This is one movie that actually lives up to it's name. Gore is in the title and gore is what you get. There is blood, lot's of it. There seems to be a real anime feel to the movie but I can't say for sure as I don't watch anime. Either way it's just plain weird but at least it never got boring. For some reason penis removal of some kind seems to be the underlying theme of my horror movie challenge because it just keeps popping up. RATING 7/10
I never quite viewed TCM as the masterpiece that some people thought it was. I think it is by and far a effective film and realize how influential it was on the horror genre but I don't see it as this perfect beacon of light in the world of horror. I don't need to say much about this one as I'm sure just about everyone has seen it. It's terrifying, unsettling, gritty, and instills hopelessness like few films can. RATING 8.5/10

Part 2
Part 3

Last edited by takingchase; 10-17-09 at 06:54 AM.