Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadland 2 [HD-DVD]

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Deadland 2 [HD-DVD]

Old 08-30-09, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadland 2 [HD-DVD]

If you have not heard it seems that the producer of a low budget Zombie movie who happens to be a HD-DVD supporter is going to do a limited release of his movie.. do not know how the forum leaders are about posting links to other forums.
Old 09-03-09, 10:02 PM

Re: Deadland 2 [HD-DVD]

WETNWILDRADIO FILMS
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
09/03/2009

SUBJECT: INDIE ZOMBIE FILM set to resurrect HD DVD FORMAT

WETNWILDRADIO FILMS and ANTHEM PICTURES are proud to announce that the independent zombie horror film, DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED, will be making its way to HD DVD.

This LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION HD DVD will be made available in the HD DVD format in a very limited quantity on the films home video release date, October 27th 2009.

When asked why, in regards to releasing the film in this defunct format, Deadlands 2 writer/director Gary Ugarek, an avid HD DVD collector, had this to say.

“Over the last 18 months, since HD DVD’s demise, I and small group of HD DVD enthusiasts have scoured every part of the planet trying to obtain the left over releases of HD DVD material. We were early adopters of the format and still felt to this day the format shouldn’t have been left to die off. So I set out to do some research and realized the following:

During HD DVD’s release over 1,000,000 player units were sold and over 800 titles were released for the format. At the end of its tenure the market penetration still remained strong, and the format built a dedicated fan base.

So I set out to see if these HD DVD owners would be interested in a brand new release. I presented all the information about the film, gave them access and links to trailers, the press kit and the technical aspects… and you know what… THEY LOVED THE IDEA. The feedback was unbelievable. Within 36 hours of putting the question out there, I received over 200+ emails, within 96 hours 380+ requests from HD DVD fans asking me to make this happen.

I presented the idea to Anthem Pictures, the distributor, and they liked it, and immediately jumped behind it.”

One wouldn’t think a $6,000.00 zombie film would be a candidate for such a release, but Deadlands 2 is that candidate. The HD DVD release will be limited to 500 copies only, with each disc noting the fact it is a LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION. Also, each disc will also come with a Certificate of Authenticity numbering which copy the purchaser received. Since it is such a limited item, HD DVD fans will want to jump on this opportunity as this will be the first HD DVD to be mastered and press for release since March 2008, which is when production of the format ceased. Thus making the HD DVD release of Deadlands 2 a rarity.

“Some people thought I was flat out nuts and were asking, why HD DVD? Are you not a Blu-Ray supporter? I answered I am, but when you have a dedicated fan base for a format, like HD-DVD does, and you see the passion of its supporters I immediately knew I wanted to do this for the fans. I want to give them something special.” Gary Ugarek

Special it is. Writer/Director Ugarek is in fact filming some new special HD DVD only content, and giving purchasers of this LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION DISC more bang for their buck.

“I had been asked by the fans to include something about how to do a low budget indie project, or what my experiences were, what hoops and hurdles I had to overcome, and I though sure why not.” Gary Ugarek

The HD DVD should come packed with tons of features including: (Tentative)

1 1920x1080 version of the UNRATED CUT
2 The full work print version of the film, which contains an alternate score and footage not available in the unrated edition
3 A brand new director’s commentary for the HD DVD release.
4 A newly recorded commentary for the work print version, not available on DVD release
5 Featurette on indie filmmaking from the directors POV (HD DVD exclusive)
6 Featurette on the Theater cineplex location (HD DVD Exclusive)
7 And more.

“Right now we have 30gb of space to fill up, so Anthem and I are working together to see what can be included, and if we have the space I will keep adding more to the list to make it a packed to the brim HD DVD release of the film.” Gary Ugarek

Because of the limited production run and the extensive cost to produce HD DVD, the disc will retail through the distributors website for $29.95 + S&H and will be available for both US and International customers. HD DVD unlike Blu-Ray does not use a region coding system, so one master is just made and the disc even if purchased in the US will play in any HD DVD player around the world.

Based on the research data Ugarek has conducted he is expecting a good response and Anthem Pictures is setting up a special page on their website for HD DVD fans to pre-order their discs to make sure they have their copy reserved for when the film hits the street on October 27th.

“I know it’s a gamble with HD DVD having lost out on the format war, but based on feedback from HD DVD fans we expect this to be a huge moment for them, the film and HD DVD. Kind of ironic that a zombie film would be helping HD DVD try to come back from the dead, even if for a short period of time, but who knows, if the program is a success maybe other indie filmmakers and distributors can do something similar for the HD DVD fans and keep it alive for the hard core.” Gary Ugarek

Deadlands 2: Trapped stars Jim Krut (DAWN of the DEAD) and Josh Davidson (Perkins 14)

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-08-09 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Removed promotional links
Old 09-03-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

The question remains... Is the movie any good?
Old 09-03-09, 10:54 PM

I look at this way.. I love grade "B" movies ..the camper the better! My wife and I have learned if the movie reviewers say they hated it.. we loved it! ..and while i have not seen it myself it has won horror movie awards... I do not have the link for the trailer but it looked better than some of high budget Hollywood movies of late, where I think that the movie makers have lost the enjoyment of making movies!

Youtube clip #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcY9FlMd5Q
Youtube clip #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOKWV-e8Lw

Last edited by DEC29111; 09-03-09 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 11:35 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

A little expensive for an unknown commodity. They should offer some kind of coupon.
Old 09-04-09, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The question remains... Is the movie any good?
I love HD-DVD and limited editions with a passion but I'm not plunking down $30 for a movie that will in all likelihood suck. I do commend what the director is trying to do but godamned if the market isn't already saturated with zombie movies.
Old 09-04-09, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me that the director is looking to keep his movie from fading into oblivion by making it a talking point with this "special" release. By releasing it on HD-DVD, he gets free promotion by having sites publish the story about his film being the last HD-DVD ever made. From a marketing standpoint, it attracts more people to something that most people would have never heard about. It's sill a risky move however since not too many people will want to spend $30+ on another indie zombie movie, but at least they'll hear about it. For that, I've got to give him some props.
Old 09-04-09, 03:20 AM

From what I have read "Anthem Pictures" will be releasing the movie also on DVD $19.95and BluRay $29.95 with out all the HD-DVD extras, like the multi/cut - versions of the movie and features.
"Anthem Pictures" had tried backing the HD 'RED LASER' fromat HDVM which was the second runner up in India, (like HD-DVD in the USA) and had the backing of many of the 'Bollywood' Movies Studios, and sold at Radio Shack for a while.
Old 09-04-09, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No doubt this will eventually be re-released on BD as a special edition once the initial marketing blitz for the HD-DVD version dies out.
Old 09-04-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Starring Jim Krut? The helicopter zombie from DotD?

I applaud the idea, but it would be cooler if it were for a movie I really wanted to see.
Old 09-04-09, 11:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I ordered it
Old 09-04-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I ordered it
In other news, the sky is blue.

Hey at least it gives some people a little more joy - no biggie at this point.
Old 09-04-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I want to know is, where's the laserdisc release?
Maybe he should do one on Beta too....
Old 09-04-09, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by g
A little expensive for an unknown commodity. They should offer some kind of coupon.
Because the pressings are limited and the amount of resources involved no coupons or discounts will be offered. The 500 disc limited print will cover all costs relating to re-rendering, re-mixing, and re-mastering for HD-DVD which has already totalled upwards of 100+ hours of man power

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No doubt this will eventually be re-released on BD as a special edition once the initial marketing blitz for the HD-DVD version dies out.
Nope No Blu-Ray. Doing this for the HD DVD fans means I had to forego the BR release. Also if a BR release does happen all the HD DVD exclusive content will not be included, and the BR would just be exactly like the SD version, just a 1920x1080 version.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Starring Jim Krut? The helicopter zombie from DotD?

I applaud the idea, but it would be cooler if it were for a movie I really wanted to see.
Yes it is the same Jim Krut.
Old 09-04-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow.
Old 09-04-09, 08:15 PM

List of reviews for the film: (These were done on either the Work Print or Version just before final cut. No one has seen or reviewed the final cut yet)

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_5171.htm

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forum...ad.php?t=19423

http://www.fatally-yours.com/horror-...-trapped-2008/

http://dvdresurrections.com/MovieRev...2_Trapped.html

http://www.gutmunchers.com/Deadlands2Trapped.html

http://www.bloodtypeonline.com/d113.htm

http://www.horrortalk.com/HTNG/index...ands-2-trapped

Last edited by DEC29111; 09-04-09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey what's with the hyphen inconsistency in HD DVD?
Old 09-04-09, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Hey what's with the hyphen inconsistency in HD DVD?
Shut up and go watch your bluerAys
Old 09-04-09, 09:06 PM

Its kind of hard to print the ''disc logo'' under the HD DVD so to make sure that you are talking about the disc format and not some other meaning.. many people place the "hyphen" between the HD & DVD.
Old 09-04-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry. I've grown so used to the hyphen in Blu-Ray that I forgot HD DVD has no hyphen.

Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
Nope No Blu-Ray. Doing this for the HD DVD fans means I had to forego the BR release. Also if a BR release does happen all the HD DVD exclusive content will not be included, and the BR would just be exactly like the SD version, just a 1920x1080 version.
While I applaud the intent of releasing a maxed out HD DVD first, wouldn't a barebones BD (or no BD at all) screw over potential fans of the movie that never had an HD DVD player or have since sold theirs?

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-04-09 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Just ordered a copy.
Trailer for anyone interested. I would swear the dude with the cap is one of those college kids from Borat that pick him up in the camper.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szsXGwoJKXw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szsXGwoJKXw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Maxflier; 09-04-09 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 02:17 AM

Ordered mine yesterday. Viva la, HD DVD.
Old 09-05-09, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, if they sell all 500 copies then they outsold some of WB's catalog titles!
Old 09-05-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Shut up and go watch your bluerAys
Sir, I still have many HD(space)DVD's to watch as well!
Old 09-05-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I never let go of my HD DVD player either. I just wish I had an XA2 rather than an A2.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.