Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Political Film forum

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Political Film forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Political Film forum

The Anime talk wasn't really a big deal to me since it can lead to some good threads. But now a sub forum about political films??? Did anyone actually ask for this? Or is this just a way to push more advertisements on here? It seems like it'll wind up as a dead sub-forum.
Old 08-18-09, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Political Film forum

Originally Posted by mhg83
Did anyone actually ask for this?
Iron Weed Film Club, I'd guess.
Old 08-18-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question, OP. A sub forum for cat lovers or peanut butter lovers makes just about enough sense.
Old 08-18-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That graphic really distorts things.
Old 08-18-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If this message is out of line, please delete it. I don't mean it as an insult.

I see this as a lose-lose. No one asked for a Political Film Forum. There's no discussion of political films in Politics or in the Movie Forum. Creating a subforum is not going to create discussion. If anything, it's going to draw attention to how empty the subforum is.

How does this help Iron Weed Film Club? They are sponsoring an area of the site no one even looks at. They become a punch line, like Book Talk or Frontier(s).

This helps IB, of course, at least in the short run. But nothing of value (IMHO) is being provided to the audience or to the client.
Old 08-18-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lastly, a Potemkin Village is an overly elaborated set of empty community discussion areas or other collaborative spaces, created in anticipation of a thriving population rather than grown organically in response to their needs.
That's what was just created: http://asis.org/Bulletin/Aug-09/AugSep09_Crumlish.html
Old 08-18-09, 10:13 PM
Banned

So members have been asking for a Blu-Ray bargains forum for more than a year, but instead we get a Political Film sub-forum that no one asked for and that sticks out like sore thumb on the Otter forum? This sponsorship crap is really getting out of hand.
Old 08-18-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't we have an anime forum before they brought it back?

Whatever happened to the horror film (dvd stalk?) forum? Just a seasonal thing?
Old 08-18-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

What Political Film forum?

Besides, I'm almost certain they're busy finalizing all the last-minute preparations on that Health/Fitness forum idea I proposed a couple or so years back. I wonder what the hold up is?
Old 08-18-09, 10:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was going to post a thread to ask the same thing. Who was clamoring for this? Why was it needed? It's not like there were an abundance of political film threads in Movie Talk or Politics. It's a regular head-scratcher.
Old 08-18-09, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Sweet now we can do a Political Film Sheep!
My answer to every question is Red Dawn.
Old 08-18-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we at least move it to a sub-forum under Movie Talk? With the graphic and everything, it's really kinda annoying in Otter.
Old 08-19-09, 01:13 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
So members have been asking for a Blu-Ray bargains forum for more than a year, but instead we get a Political Film sub-forum that no one asked for and that sticks out like sore thumb on the Otter forum? This sponsorship crap is really getting out of hand.
Yeah, what the fuck? Seriously! If a certain someone still owned/cared or had any say at all in how this site was run, this BS wouldn't be happening. Instead I have to seek out another site dedicated to Blu Ray cough*HighDef*digest*dot com*cough to get my dedicated Blu Ray bargain fix.

DVDTALK is quickly losing it's focus... look, I had to seek out another website that had a Blu Ray bargain forum. Think of all those people out there looking for Blu-Ray discounts on Google and DVDTALK doesn't even show up in the top 5 searches, save for the thread pleading for a sub forum, what a joke, here's the proof:

LOL WHOOPS! guess I should have read the now closed thread asking for a Blu Ray Bargain sub forum... before I went ape-shit:

Originally Posted by X
There will be a Blu-ray Bargains forum. There are some other things that are already in the queue for those who will create it so it will get here as soon as possible.
Feel free to delete my post X.

Last edited by hal9000; 08-19-09 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 01:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny you should mention Hi Def Digest, because this is at the bottom of their website:

Spoiler:
Copyright © 2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.
Old 08-19-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23
It is coming...very soon.
Old 08-19-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ranger
Didn't we have an anime forum before they brought it back?

Whatever happened to the horror film (dvd stalk?) forum? Just a seasonal thing?
It died out and it didn't make any sense: horror films were already being discussed in the movie forum. All it was doing was splintering the main Movie Forum.
Old 08-19-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know what Iron Weed Film Club is, but I can guarantee you that I will never go there.
Old 08-19-09, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
It died out and it didn't make any sense: horror films were already being discussed in the movie forum. All it was doing was splintering the main Movie Forum.
And that is the same reason why we don't need a political film forum. Political films are rarely discussed here in the movie/DVD forums, so why have it on a separate one?
Old 08-19-09, 09:47 AM
Suspended

You really have to dig around to make any sense of their web site, but I think I have it figured it out-- it is some sort of hybrid of a highly-crippled Netflix and a political group. They rent movies, but only THEIR movies, with THEIR political agenda. No wonder they need to pay to have large ads placed on web sites, because it is an idea too stupid to survive.

http://www.ironweedfilms.com/how_it_works
Old 08-19-09, 09:47 AM
Internet Brands

We launched the forum as a place to move threads about political films under the stricter rules that are in place in the politics forum. While there isn't a ton of threads around this topic, they do occur and we would like tighter rules in place to ensure the discussions take place civilly. We have been planning this for a while but the timing of the launch was moved up by the desire of Ironweed to sponsor the forum.

We will be launching the Blu-Ray Bargains forum later this week as a sub forum to DVD Bargains. As stated above users have asked for this for some time and we are looking forward to seeing how it does. No sponsorship for now ☺.

The site is growing in traffic and returning audience. To support that growth we need to continue to find new topics to cover both in the review section and in the forum. Beyond Blu-Ray Bargains we are actively discussing other forums to open but have made no other definitive plans. I understand not every new topic will be of interest to everyone but hopefully a smaller group may want to participate.

Brent
DVDTalk
Old 08-19-09, 09:49 AM

You may want to put a post up in the Political Films section that explicitly outline those special rules, since until just now I had no idea that they were even in place.
Old 08-19-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bconver
We launched the forum as a place to move threads about political films under the stricter rules that are in place in the politics forum. While there isn't a ton of threads around this topic, they do occur and we would like tighter rules in place to ensure the discussions take place civilly. We have been planning this for a while but the timing of the launch was moved up by the desire of Ironweed to sponsor the forum.
What?

Are you sure this wasn't happening in another site IB owns?

There aren't any moved threads in the new Political Film forum.
Old 08-19-09, 10:21 AM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by Groucho
You may want to put a post up in the Political Films section that explicitly outline those special rules, since until just now I had no idea that they were even in place.
Thx - I put them up.
Old 08-19-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem with the concept of the new forum. But could you resize that Iron Weed logo so that it doesn't mess up the frame size of its containing field? Maybe a longer, wider, but shorter logo...like a banner style? It just looks sloppy and weird with the Political Film box being non-uniform. It's killing my anal-retentiveness.
Old 08-19-09, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bconver
Thx - I put them up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.