Summer Sci-Fi Challenge 09 - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Summer Sci-Fi Challenge 09 - Discussion Thread

The Goal is 100

This thread is for talking, not for listing. Listing is here http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...st-thread.html.

Challenge Starts July 1st at 12am EST

Challenge ends August 1st at 12 am EST

Rules

Movies/TV shows should be labeled sci-fi from either imdb.com or allmovie.com. Other labels don't matter as long as there is at least a sci-fi label from one of those sites. Fantasy/Sci-fi would be fine.

If anyone has a problem with something someone watches or just wants an opinion on if it's sci-fi or not, list the title here and I'll shoot it with laser or let it live.

Sci-Fi documentaries are allowed but not DVD featurettes/interviews.

When I think of Sci-Fi documentaries, I'm thinking documentaries about UFOs, alien crash at Roswell, Area 51 and not so much about the making of movies.

As with the other challenges, the lists must be numbered or it won't count.

Movies count as 1 entry each.

TV shows count according to length as they are aired on TV(including commercials):
  • 30 minute shows count as 1/4 an entry
  • 1 hour shows count as 1/2 an entry
  • 2 hour shows count as 1 entry
So you need 4, 30 minute shows for 1 entry or 2 60 minute shows or any combination that gets you to 1 entry. While X-Files has a runtime of around 43 minutes, on-air it's an hour show.

If it's short films that are 10 minutes or less, once you hit 23 minutes of watching them, you've reached one 30 minute show. This is based on the theory that the run time for a 30 minute show is between 22-24 minutes.

For mini series, do count each "day" that it aired (assuming that each day was a 2 hour block). For example, Dune: The Mini Series, would it be:

63. Dune: The Mini Series - Part I
64. Dune: The Mini Series - Part II
65. Dune: The Mini Seriies - Part III

When listing TV shows, keep them together for one entry.
Example:
65. Outer Limits:episode name / Futurama: episode name / Futurama: episode name
How do I list TV shows and other short stuff if I don't have enough for an entry?

At the bottom of your post/list, keep a Temp TV section. Add stuff there until you get enough for an entry.

Watching the movie with the commentary will count as an entry.

Watching multiple versions(theatrical and director's cut) of the same movie will also count.

Show what days you watched whatever it was you watched

Example
July 1:
1. alien
2. aliens

July 2:
3. aliens 3
NUMBER YOUR LISTS OR YOU WON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN FABULOUS CASH AND/OR PRIZES

The List Thread will be posted when the challenge begins.

Prizes of varying quality will be given to the top 3 people.

Last year's discussion thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/53...on-thread.html
Last year's list thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/53...st-thread.html

On July 20 TCM will be celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the first moon landing. Buzz Aldrin will guest host the evening movies with Robert Osborne.

Here's the schedule for that day:

Quote:
20 Monday

6:00 AM They Came From Beyond Space (1967)
Scientists investigating a meteor shower uncover an alien invasion. Cast: Robert Hutton, Jennifer Jayne, Zia Mohyeddin. Dir: Freddie Francis. C-85 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

7:30 AM From The Earth To The Moon (1958)
Lifelong rivals collaborate on a 19th-century moon rocket. Cast: Joseph Cotten, George Sanders, Henry Daniell. Dir: Byron Haskin. C-100 mins, TV-G, CC

9:30 AM First Men in the Moon (1964)
A scientist's experimental space craft puts him in the path of an intergalactic invasion. Cast: Edward Judd, Martha Hyer, Lionel Jeffries. Dir: Nathan Juran. C-103 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

11:30 AM Twelve to the Moon (1960)
An international team boards a spaceship to the moon. Cast: Michi Kobi, Tom Conway, John Wengraf. Dir: David Bradley. BW-74 mins, TV-PG

1:00 PM Destination Moon (1950)
A crusading scientist defies the government to launch an expedition to the moon. Cast: Warner Anderson, Tom Powers, Dick Wesson. Dir: Irving Pichel. C-90 mins, TV-G

3:00 PM Mouse On The Moon, The (1963)
A small European nation launches a space program using the local wine as rocket fuel. Cast: Margaret Rutherford, Ron Moody, Terry-Thomas. Dir: Richard Lester. C-85 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

4:30 PM Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959)
Three janitors stumble onto the formula for rocket fuel. Cast: The Three Stooges, Jerome Cowan, Robert Colbert. Dir: David Lowell Rich. BW-76 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

6:00 PM Moon Pilot (1962)
An astronaut dodges secret agents and a beautiful spy before his first moon trip. Cast: Tom Tryon, Brian Keith, Dany Saval. Dir: James Neilson. C-98 mins, , CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM Trip to the Moon, A (1902)
In this silent film, a group of scientists ride to the moon in a cannon shell. Cast: Georges Melies, Henri Delannoy, Bleuette Bernon. Dir: Georges Melies. BW-14 mins, TV-G

8:15 PM For All Mankind (1989)
Documentary footage traces the progress of the Apollo missions. Cast: Jim Lovell, Russell Schweickart, Eugene Cernan narrate. Dir: Al Reinert. C-80 mins,

10:00 PM Right Stuff, The (1983)
The first astronauts fight for their place in space. Cast: Sam Shepard, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris. Dir: Philip Kaufman. C-193 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format

1:30 AM Marooned (1969)
Three U.S. astronauts face a slow death when their rockets fail during a space voyage. Cast: Gregory Peck, Richard Crenna, David Janssen. Dir: John Sturges. C-129 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

3:45 AM Capricorn One (1978)
The government fakes a Mars landing then sets out to kill the astronauts involved. Cast: Elliott Gould, James Brolin, Brenda Vaccaro. Dir: Peter Hyams. C-123 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=241098

I guess For All Mankind and The Right Stuff won't qualify for the challenge, but it'll still be interesting to hear what Aldrin has to say about those two films.
Movie Discussion Project
July 1st - 5th: Matrix Trilogy
6th - 12th: Star Wars Movies
13th - 19th: Star Trek Movies
20th - 26th : Aliens
27th - 31st: Back To The Future
3 wild cards for all. Use for those shows you want to watch but know they really don't count. The ones where it's really close to counting. Wild cards also count for all fantasy shows/movies.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 07-09-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-31-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Summer Sci-Fi Challenge 09 - Discussion Thread

As far as I remember, the counting system for tv shows seemed to work for most people. Other than that, I don't want to include the fantasy genre into this. If it also has a sci-fi element, then it'll be fine.

I picked up the Star Trek movie collection on Blu-ray today and if Netflix still has the first season of Star Trek in HD for streaming, I'll watch that too.
Old 05-31-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed this last year, looking forward to doing it again.

Rob
Old 05-31-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm ready to go. I'm already setting aside movies to watch. I need to get the Firefly BD too so I can rewatch it.
Old 05-31-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm down. I only own a few dozen sci-fi films, but I've got Netflix streaming on my Samsung Blu-ray player, so I'll watch a few movies that way. I had been planning on a Twilight Zone marathon, so this will be a good excuse.
Old 05-31-09, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have the complete series of Stargate SG-1 to get through. Maybe this will motivate me to get started on that. Ive only seen the first half of season 1 and all of season 2.
I have had these season sets for so many years and they are almost all still wrapped. WHo knows though. I'd like to but I have a problem that I get burned out with some series and I am afraid that'll happen if I start this show.
Old 05-31-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Would The Adventures of Brisco County Jr count? While primarily a western it revolves around sci-fi elements
Old 05-31-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I still have the complete series of Stargate SG-1 to get through. Maybe this will motivate me to get started on that. Ive only seen the first half of season 1 and all of season 2.
I have had these season sets for so many years and they are almost all still wrapped. WHo knows though. I'd like to but I have a problem that I get burned out with some series and I am afraid that'll happen if I start this show.
I didn't get into SG-1 until about half way through the third season, then something clicked. (not that it's anything special, but it is comforting, or fun or something) I hope you get the same enjoyment.

I have a ton of Dr. Who to watch (am almost completely new to it) and some Twilight Zone, so I am in again. Not that I was close to competing in the totals last time.
Old 05-31-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Like a lot of people here, I just got all 5 seasons of Twilight Zone. That seems like as good a reason as any to take part in this, otherwise I'm not sure I'll ever get around to watching them all.
Old 05-31-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Would The Adventures of Brisco County Jr count? While primarily a western it revolves around sci-fi elements
I'd count it.
Old 06-01-09, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Back to the SG-1 commentary tracks for me. I think I stopped midway through season 7 (and there are commentaries for every single episode). That plus the Star Trek blu commentaries should keep me busy for the challenge.
Old 06-01-09, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've already got my list of discs from my video library marked as 'to watch' for the challenge

"smeggin!"
Old 06-01-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by Ginwen
Like a lot of people here, I just got all 5 seasons of Twilight Zone. That seems like as good a reason as any to take part in this, otherwise I'm not sure I'll ever get around to watching them all.
Definitely ...err Definitively. I've had the set for almost two years now and just recently started the 2nd season. This will be a great excuse to at least make an attempt to finish it (commentaries aside).
Old 06-01-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll probably be beginning my rewatching of DS9 during the challenge (and maybe the tail end of TNG), and there's also the 5th season of Stargate Atlantis coming out at the end of this month. I feel a little cheap just counting my normal watching for the challenge, so I'll try to mix it up with some theme nights pulling from various shows and movies.
Old 06-01-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Lots of X-Files and Twilight Zone episodes ready to go!
Old 06-01-09, 04:01 PM

Lost marathon here I come!
Old 06-01-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will be Mrs. Beebs and my first year at this. Based on topping 100 with the Horror challenge, I think I will aim for 75 with this one and be pleasantly surprised when I do better. Looks like this will be an amazing chance/excuse to watch all those X-Files and Twilight Zone episodes again... plus some of my favorite movies.
Old 06-01-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I proclaim my first movie will be Chuck E. Cheese in the Galaxy 5000
Old 06-01-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

never done one before, but ill be watching my hoarded bsg s4.0 and the newly released 4.5 soon anyway so maybe nows the time
Old 06-02-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did pretty well with this last year, so think Ill be down again this year... Just have to find a show to get into. Maybe I can re-do DS9 as its been a long time since Ive watched any of these.
Old 06-02-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I planned on watching the entire run of "Battlestar Galactica" (both of them) and "Babylon 5" for my dissertation this summer, so I guess I should have some fun with it here.
Old 06-03-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, I think I'll try this one. I meant to get in on the horror and classics challenges last year, and they fizzled rather early. Also, my wife and I have scheduled a vacation the last week of July to visit family in Florida so I'm not sure how much I'll get to watch during that time. (Although that might be a good reason to add some more Star Trek episodes to my iPod!) I assume it's okay if I post whatever I get to watch on vacation when I return in August?
Old 06-03-09, 08:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I completely promise not to win this time. I'm trying to make headway on my unwatched movie pile, and don't have much unwatched sci-fi.

I think I may do a Battlestar Galactica marathon though. Start with the original series, maybe rent BSG 1980 (is it out?), and then finally watch all of the new series. The final season comes out on DVD in July, right?
Old 06-03-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I completely promise not to win this time. I'm trying to make headway on my unwatched movie pile, and don't have much unwatched sci-fi.

I think I may do a Battlestar Galactica marathon though. Start with the original series, maybe rent BSG 1980 (is it out?), and then finally watch all of the new series. The final season comes out on DVD in July, right?
if universal delays it, i will frack them up.

btw, according to the op, as long as it has "sci-fi" at imdb, it counts yesh? so anime is okay too?
Old 06-03-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hindolio
if universal delays it, i will frack them up.

btw, according to the op, as long as it has "sci-fi" at imdb, it counts yesh? so anime is okay too?
Sure, as long as it's sci-fi anime, why not? I watched some anime last year. As long as you don't try to count, like, Grave of the Fireflies, I think you're good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.