Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Little Children. Directed by Todd Field

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-01-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not find a thread about this. It comes out this fall and the trailer is up.....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newlin...lechildren/hd/

It looks amazing!!!! I am soooo pumped! I loved In the Bedroom.
Old 09-01-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear it's getting some rave reviews. This one is high on my list. I also loved In the Bedroom.
Old 09-01-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Poland goes nuts for Little Children
Old 09-13-06, 11:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Jackie Earle Haley in 'Little Children' - Obscurity to Oscar Nominee?

Checked IMDB ...

Haley was popular in the 70s in films like 'Bad News Bears' and 'Breaking Away'.

Hadnt made a movie since 'Maniac Cop 3' in 1993!

Now he's in 2 big movies : 'Little Children' (rumored to be great in it) and 'All The Kings Men' (Sean Penn Starrer).

The big question is .... where has he been?
Old 09-13-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you mean Celebrity to Obscurity to Oscar Nominee? Or is that just for Dennis Hopper and John Travolta?
Old 09-13-06, 11:20 PM

I guess my header should have said : When have we seen an actor who has not made a worthy film for over 25 years come back with such a vengeance?

Last guy I remember coming back (with substance) from oblivion was Robert Forster in 'Jackie Brown'.
Old 09-13-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Little Children today in Toronto and it is a wonderful movie and Haley gives a great performance as a troubled man.

An audience member asked Todd Field where did she find Kelly Leak and he said that he saw audition footage from All The Kings Men and that Haley had somehow gotten a hold of the Little Children script and had sent in a very impressive video auditioning for the part. Field said that Haley had been working in Texas producing marketing videos.
Old 09-14-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't he on an episode of Get A Life where he played Chris Elliot's successful cousin. Does that sound right or am I wrong on the show?
Old 09-14-06, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I saw Little Children today in Toronto and it is a wonderful movie and Haley gives a great performance as a troubled man.

An audience member asked Todd Field where did she find Kelly Leak and he said that he saw audition footage from All The Kings Men and that Haley had somehow gotten a hold of the Little Children script and had sent in a very impressive video auditioning for the part. Field said that Haley had been working in Texas producing marketing videos.
This kind of info is golden. thanks a lot!
Old 09-14-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by JCWBobC
Wasn't he on an episode of Get A Life where he played Chris Elliot's successful cousin. Does that sound right or am I wrong on the show?
You're right, he played Cousin Donald in the Get A Life episode "Chris Vs. Donald"
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0355097/
Old 09-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertai...1eeb4afd8.html
Old 10-12-06, 11:57 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Little Children'

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of Little Children at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24346 and...found his review to be derivative and unoriginal. It reads like crib notes from Ella Taylor’s review in The Village Voice. I also find it amusing that a guy, who writes “graphic novels,” (that’s high falooten comic books for the uninitiated) is accusing any storyteller of two dimensionality. I saw Perrotta and Field’s film at the Telluride Film Festival, and was completely involved. I didn’t judge the use of narration or the film in general, because it was clear I was in confident hands. After seeing “In the Bedroom” I trusted this filmmaker had a point of view, and Little Children confirmed this fact. As for Perrotta, I am halfway through his novel, and so far it is amazing. The day Jamie Rich can achieve anything approaching the craft of these two men; I’ll take my hat off to him. In the meantime – he should get over himself.
Old 10-13-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't understad why you care.....?
It's just a review and the guy didn't like the film, big deal!
Old 10-13-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped reading it after he said he also didn't care for In the Bedroom so I felt no need to read his reviews as I loved In the Bedroom.
Old 10-13-06, 10:55 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

I'll have to dig up that review from the Village Voice. It sounds like Ella Taylor has it going on.
Old 10-13-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw this at the New York Film Festival, and thought it was one of the year's best movies so far. It's well written, the acting is superb, and the craftmanship of the film-making is top notch. The narration device (something I usually don't like) works perfectly in setting the context and tone.
Old 10-15-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marty888
Saw this at the New York Film Festival, and thought it was one of the year's best movies so far. It's well written, the acting is superb, and the craftmanship of the film-making is top notch. The narration device (something I usually don't like) works perfectly in setting the context and tone.
I'm going to agree with you here. I saw a sneak preview of it with a Q&A with the producers yesterday morning and it was absolutely phenomenal. One of the best flicks of the year, IMHO.
Old 10-28-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Little Children - quick review

I had been looking forward to Todd Fields' "Little Children" and had to venture into town to see it as it was only playing on one screen in this town.

The direction by Fields is very good, the performances (Kate Winslet, Patrick Wilson, Jennifer Connelly) are almost pitch-perfect in this tale of suburbia and the coy hook-up of a stay-at-home mom, Sarah (Winslet), and stay-at-home dad, Brad (Wilson). There are 2 other subplots, one deals with the presence of a convicted exposer/flasher (to little kids) named Ronnie. I did a double-take when I realized it was Jackie Earle Haley, best known as Kelly in the original "Bad News Bears" all those years ago. The other deals with Larry, a former cop who is hellbent on driving Ronnie out of the neighborhood with flyers and drive-by honkings.

There are a few somewhat disturbing sequences juxtaposed with light-hearted frivolity, to the point where I couldn't help but laugh at times. The downfall of the film for me is that the film's screenplay has too high a sense of the ironic by the time it concludes, and for me, it just never quite congeals into a truly satisfying look into the intermingling of these characters' lives in suburbia.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 10-28-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am shocked I haven't heard more about this film on this board. I started a thread on it a month or two ago and it recieved very few replies. Another small thread was started a week or two ago.

I thought In the Bedroom was amazing and the trailer for this looks incredible, I will be seeing this as soon as I possibly can.
Old 10-28-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The "search" function doesn't pick up the "DVD Talk Reviews Little Children" thread, and I dislike those threads because it's mainly from people who disagree with the DVD Talk reviewer's opinion of films, thus I don't followup on those threads when it comes to reviews or thoughts on a film.
Old 12-17-06, 11:51 AM

Little Children

I had to leave before the end of this long, uneven movie and so missed the ending. Can someone help me out? Does Kate Winslet's character ever have to deal with her brutally casual treatment of her daughter?

The last scene I saw was her trying to end her affair (and that was 2 hours into the film). Replies, please...
Old 12-22-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those few people who have seen it, what did the note from the mother say?
Old 12-22-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
For those few people who have seen it, what did the note from the mother say?
If I recall, it said something like:

"Please Be A Good Boy"
Old 12-22-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it, and was highly disturbed by it. It's not a film you need to ever revisit, but it was good.
Old 12-22-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this ever going to expand beyond 35 theaters, or will it just be dropped onto DVD in a few months? I've been (im)patiently waiting for it to show up anywhere within 100 miles, but to no avail.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.