Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deepdiscount 25% Sale July 2009 Bitching, Moaning, and Pleasant Surprises

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-17-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My order copy is below. The Leonard Cohen DVD was 12.43 previously, now 13.71 before discount code used. Otherwise, the other DVD's were stable in price based on my previous views. The CD's were actually cheaper than previously listed. Johnny cash was maybe 3 dollars cheaper , and listed as a price drop/sale thingee. So while DDD does seem to raise some prices, they also seem to drop prices on other things, CDs in this case. I compared prices to Amazon to get an idea where things were, and they were overall lower at DDD.

I will definitely be looking into making another order, after I check through my wish lists, and feel comfortable that DDD isn't gouging things, and is even lowering things in places. Hopefully others have the same luck.

PRODUCTSHIPPINGQUANTITYTOTAL

DVD Leonard Cohen - Live In London
$13.71 Standard Shipping
1$13.71

DVD Henry Rollins Show - Season 1
$15.53 Standard Shipping
1$15.53

DVD Iron Maiden - Flight 666: The Film
$12.12 Standard Shipping
1$12.12

Gilmore Girls: Our Little Corner of the World
$9.97 Standard Shipping
1$9.97

Flight 666: The Original Soundtrack
$12.97 Standard Shipping
1$12.97

At Folsom Prison (Legacy Edition) [Long Box]
$26.97 Standard Shipping
1$26.97

Item Total: $91.27
Shipping & Handling: 0.00
Discount: -10.34
Tax: 0.00

Order Total:
$80.93
Old 07-18-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Deepdiscount 25% Sale July 2009 Bitching, Moaning, and Pleasant Surprises

George Carlin's "All my Stuff" was $91 for the longest time, then went to $121 a week or so before the sale and back down again to $91 just in time for the sale. I bought it for $68.xx. The International BR went up a few dollars but there also were a few BR sales going on, don't know if it was part of it. Picked it up for $20.xx. Also getting bing cashback for the full price on my orders.
Old 07-18-09, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the HBO Blu-Rays jumped in price so high that they are cheaper, even after sale and bing cash back, at Amazon. It's a shame, I was going to get John Adams, True Blood, and Generation Kill.
Old 07-18-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

so buy them at amazon.
Old 07-19-09, 01:15 PM

Brizz,

Thank you for the considerate response. In your haste to mock, however, you missed my point: The price for the last several weeks was about 46$ per set. In the day before the sale they increased to $63. I didn't wand to pay $46 per set which is why I held off buying them, hoping to find a good deal.
Old 07-20-09, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the items I was looking to get this time around are significantly more expensive at DD than at Amazon. That includes some regular movies and some TV season sets. The prices on at least half were so much more that even with 25% off they're still cheaper at Amazon. How do they even justify the name Deep Discount?

I've placed orders for probably the last 6-8 DD sales, and I've ordered many times from them over the years. But lately they seem to not even be trying to live up to their name.
Old 07-20-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
Brizz,

Thank you for the considerate response. In your haste to mock, however, you missed my point: The price for the last several weeks was about 46$ per set. In the day before the sale they increased to $63. I didn't wand to pay $46 per set which is why I held off buying them, hoping to find a good deal.
If it makes you feel better, Brizz is a Lions fan. The pent up animosity is natural.
Old 07-20-09, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
Brizz,

Considering that the $46 price is already 45% off the list price, did you ever think that maybe DD could lose money to take another 25% off that price? Maybe HBO wasn't going to cut them any slack so any additional discount wouldn't be worth their effort. From what I recall HBO items are not typically heavily discounted so $46 maybe the best it will get for those items.
Old 07-20-09, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by meshershark
Most of the items I was looking to get this time around are significantly more expensive at DD than at Amazon. That includes some regular movies and some TV season sets. The prices on at least half were so much more that even with 25% off they're still cheaper at Amazon. How do they even justify the name Deep Discount?

I've placed orders for probably the last 6-8 DD sales, and I've ordered many times from them over the years. But lately they seem to not even be trying to live up to their name.
Hard to please everyone all the time. They still deserve the name DD in my book based on the deals I have been getting. Not saying I never purchase at Amazon because I do. In fact, more then in past years, but I attribute that to Amazon being more competitive with DD now.
Old 07-21-09, 07:32 PM
Banned

Happy to see good prices for things such as 24: S7, Prison Break: S4, Pushing Daisies: S2, Battlestar Galactica - 4.0, and The Shield :S7.
Thanks DD.
Old 07-21-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering that the $46 price is already 45% off the list price, did you ever think that maybe DD could lose money to take another 25% off that price? Maybe HBO wasn't going to cut them any slack so any additional discount wouldn't be worth their effort. From what I recall HBO items are not typically heavily discounted so $46 maybe the best it will get for those items.
Dont use logic, it rains on the parade......
Old 07-22-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Pleasant surprise - got the small order within 2 days of shipment. Usually takes forever, and the warehouse and I are both in the west suburbs.
Old 07-29-09, 09:46 AM

I am only looking at Doctor Who (and DW-related titles like Torchwood). As usual, two weeks before the sale began, I pulled up the list of the titles I don't have and checked the then-current price of each. Since there were only 17 titles on the list (including two titles that were released yesterday), it was quick.

I then checked the price the day before the sale started. In 16 of the 17 cases, the price did not change. The one title it did change on, it dropped dramatically. Before it was released, Torchwood: Children of Earth was priced at $23.77. Yesterday morning, when I placed yet another order, it was the same. On a whim, I checked last night, and it had gone down to $16.69. With the 25% off, that made it $12.52, just about half the normal cost.

Considering that last time, every price went up for Who titles, I'm really rather happy about this sale.
Old 08-01-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I was going to place a last order today, four cds, but all went up in price over night. They seem to have reverted to regular DDD price even though the Mega-Sale blurb is still on the product page of each title.

Grateful Dead-Mars Hotel yesterday 11.97, today 13.97
Atomic Rooster-In Hearing Of Atomic Rooster yesterday 12.97, today 17.98
Spooky Tooth-Last Puff yesterday 15.99, today 18.95
Hot Tuna-Yellow Fever/Hoppkorv yesterday 9.97, today 18.03
Old 08-03-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Well, I ordered Fast & Furious BD on Tuesday morning (release day) and they were already out of stock. Now almost a week later, it's still on back order. Sent an e-mail to ask when it'll be back in stock, no response yet. Would it be better to call?

Edit: NM, discount still there. But I'm not going to wait anymore for it to come back into stock.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 08-04-09 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 12:02 AM

Man I used to really look forward to the DDD sales every 6 months. This time I didn't buy a single thing on my wish list because they are available at better prices elsewhere.

It's a tough time to be in the discount biz because you can only make money with a high volume of sales. Since sales volume on DVD's in general are down, I guess DDD can't afford to give away the farm any more. Too bad. I'll miss the big sales.
Old 08-04-09, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleSteve
Man I used to really look forward to the DDD sales every 6 months. This time I didn't buy a single thing on my wish list because they are available at better prices elsewhere.

It's a tough time to be in the discount biz because you can only make money with a high volume of sales. Since sales volume on DVD's in general are down, I guess DDD can't afford to give away the farm any more. Too bad. I'll miss the big sales.
Are you being serious? Everything in your wishlist was cheaper elsewhere. I guess its possibly that you only have a few things on your wishlist and they just happen to be on sale. However, I bought dozens of things that were cheaper at DD even before the 25% off.
Old 08-04-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SeattleSteve
Same for me. Most of my wishlist was comprised of Criterions, which I ended up getting at Barnes and Noble instead. The few non-Criterion titles on my wishlist all had price increases before the sale. They might have still been a buck or so cheaper than elsewhere after discount, but none of them were "must-haves", so I'll wait and see if a better deal comes along.
Old 08-04-09, 09:35 AM

It seems to me that prices increases are limited and in fact are effected by other sales that DD was running that ended prior to the big sale.

My wishlist had about 45 items on it. A lot of tv sets, blu-rays and some back catalog titles. There were a total of three prices changes. Two items went up in price by a few bucks and one went down a dollar. Out of all the items only 3 were cheaper elsewhere.

The prices on my wishlist were stable for 2 months prior to the sale.

I look forward to this sale and while, most items are a good deal, I still check to make sure they aren't cheaper else where before buying them. Thanks DD for continuing these bi-annual sales and for getting my orders to me so fast.

Already working on my November wishlist!
Old 08-04-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kind of surprised they didn't extend the sale. I rememeber this happening at least once in the past.
Old 08-04-09, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I'm kind of surprised they didn't extend the sale. I rememeber this happening at least once in the past.
I was wondering about this, also. Just in case they did decide to extend it, I had another list with several not-so-important items on it. Oh well.

I have a question: Do larger orders take longer than smaller orders to reach your doorstep? I placed one smaller order on July 31st and I received it yesterday (the 3rd). I had placed a larger order on the 29th or 30th, it was mailed to me before the small order, but I haven't received it yet.
Old 08-04-09, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BigSue
II have a question: Do larger orders take longer than smaller orders to reach your doorstep? I placed one smaller order on July 31st and I received it yesterday (the 3rd). I had placed a larger order on the 29th or 30th, it was mailed to me before the small order, but I haven't received it yet.
Not in my experience. It is all related to the items being sent by media mail which is a cheaper but lower priority way to mail items like DVDs. I've had packages of varying sizes show up anywhere from 3 business days after shipped to 10 days after.
Old 08-04-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So far my orders are 2 for 3. Both of them have arrived quickly and in great condition. Although I did have to cancel a DVD from my first order because I found it cheaper elsewhere, but that went smoothly. Now I'm just waiting for my third (and final) order to ship.
Old 08-05-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

My first order had four items not in stock. All four have shipped since the initial order. Two have arrived, one shipped the 23rd and another shipped the 28th still on their way. One of the received items was actually shipped the 29th. Oh well, such is Media Mail.
Old 08-05-09, 07:21 AM

Ordered back on 7/19 and still waiting.
Mad Men S2 Blu-Ray and Weeds S4 Blu-Ray shipped on the 27th. Media Mail is so slow...
Dexter S1 & S2 Blu-Rays are still backordered!

Last edited by scorpion; 08-05-09 at 09:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.