Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Increasing required post counts for linking?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 07-15-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

There was a recent incident where some new member was blatantly trying to get his post counts to the point where he could link to some sites. I was thinking, if dvd talk increased the amount of posts required it may turn away some spammers. Something like 50-100 posts. What do you guys think? Would they avoid the site ; or just keep posting more crap?
Old 07-15-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Increasing required post counts for linking?

I don't know why there is a limit now; it seems that it would be easier to weed out the spammers right away if they were allowed to break the rules right away, instead of having to put up with dozens of inane new threads and thread bumps until the spammer is allowed to follow through with whatever dastardly plan he had when he joined.
Old 07-15-09, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

there should just be a question that asks when you sign up if you intend to spam the forums. if they answer yes, then, there registration won't go through, there information including name and ISP is automatically sent to the Dept. of Homeland Security and they are rightfully executed in their homes next to the computer they tried to sign up with. the execution is covered up with the killing of a family member, loved one or random passer-by of their house and a forged note of said family member, loved one or random passer-by saying it was homicide/suicide and that they were sorry.
Old 07-15-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
There was a recent incident where some new member was blatantly trying to get his post counts to the point where he could link to some sites. I was thinking, if dvd talk increased the amount of posts required it may turn away some spammers. Something like 50-100 posts. What do you guys think? Would they avoid the site ; or just keep posting more crap?
I've seen TWO incidents very recently!

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I don't know why there is a limit now; it seems that it would be easier to weed out the spammers right away if they were allowed to break the rules right away, instead of having to put up with dozens of inane new threads and thread bumps until the spammer is allowed to follow through with whatever dastardly plan he had when he joined.
I kind of agree, but I'm not sure it would actually work in practice. There might be even more spammers. Who knows?
Old 07-16-09, 07:15 AM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

I don't know if anyone is keeping hard stats on this in admin land, but from my personal observations, the number of spam bots signing up to post links has decreased since we implemented the new program.
Old 07-16-09, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Or, better yet, don't allow new members to start more than 1 thread a day until they reach x amount of posts.