Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Faith No More reunite for European Tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-24-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

link

Faith No More to Reunite for European Tour

Years before Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails took scuzzed-out sonics and transgressive imagery to the mall-rock mainstream, the Bay Area funk-metal spazzes in Faith No More violated every form of conventional wisdom and wound up playing bigger venues than anyone could've predicted. Back in the late 1980s, Faith No More brought new-wave synth-sheen, skronky jazz textures, and awkward white-guy rapping to a profoundly regressive heavy-rock scene. An entire generation of kids fondly remembers being freaked the fuck out by the flopping fish and the exploding piano at the end of the "Epic" video. FNM's 1989 album The Real Thing, the LP that pushed the band's poppiest tendencies to new extremes without compromising their weirdness, basically blew my mind when I was 10, and it's still an all-time favorite. And in 1992, the band opened Guns N' Roses and Metallica's mammoth co-headlining stadium tour, which means they're the first band I ever saw live. The image of all those fists pumping in unison to "Epic" is one I still carry with me.

FNM broke up 11 years ago, and I've never held out much help for a reunion, mostly because frontman Mike Patton has had such success making god-awful unlistenable weirdo blorp-jazz. But according to a Tripwire report, Faith No More will reunite for a summer European tour. So far, details are scarce. The band hasn't announced any dates yet, and Patton isn't giving any interviews on the subject. The band will hit the road with what was their final lineup: Patton, keyboardist/Imperial Teen frontman Roddy Bottum, slap-bassist Billy Gould, drummer Mike Bordin, and guitarist Jon Hudson. The band has no plans for any American shows right now. There's also no word on any involvement from classic-era guitarist Jim Martin (he of the frizzy hair and Sally Jessy Raphael glasses), who may be too busy growing giant pumpkins to take part. Also no word on original vocalist Chuck Mosely, the guy who sang on "We Care a Lot" and who Patton replaced just in time for The Real Thing.

Real talk: This is awesome news. Patton's latter-day downtown noise-freak persona has been unbearable, and FNM was a huge influence on the late-90s tsunami of shitty rap-metal bands, so Faith No More never get their due when people talk about the early-90s alt-rock revolution. But this was a great band, and these reunion shows will almost certainly be a whole lot of fun.

-----------------

Can a US tour be far behind?

Great news!
Old 02-24-09, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Faith No More reunite for European Tour

Oh man would I go see these guys again in a heartbeat. The Angel Dust tour show I caught was one of the best I've ever seen in my life!
Old 02-24-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I saw them a few times back then. Always a good show. They played in one of my buddies' living rooms back in the Chuck Mosley days.
Old 02-24-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
They played in one of my buddies' living rooms back in the Chuck Mosley days.
Only way I'd care about seeing these guys would be if Chuck was back.
Old 02-24-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Only way I'd care about seeing these guys would be if Chuck was back.
It's a good story. It was in Baton Rouge or Lafayette or somewhere around there, back in the Mosley days. They were supposed to play in a club and something happened and they couldn't play. Not sure of the reason, but my buddies' brother invited them to play in his living room and they did. Would loved to have been there for that. Not sure of the year and if either of their 2 albums had come out at that point.
Old 02-24-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Angel Dust IMO is one of the most important records of the 90's. It bugs me that The Real Thing gets more press.

That said, I still liked all their records.
Old 02-24-09, 04:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hopefully a Mr. Bungle reunion will follow shortly!
Old 02-24-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why just a European tour?

I saw these guys back in the day open for the Metallica / Guns 'n' Roses co-headline tour. Hell of a show!
Old 02-24-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by linked article
Real talk: This is awesome news. Patton's latter-day downtown noise-freak persona has been unbearable
I'm probably in the minority, but I like all of his Fantomas stuff much more than anything I've ever heard of Faith No More. Also, his guest turn as vocalist for the Dillinger Escape Plan was brilliant.

Last edited by kefrank; 02-24-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate that the quote you posted makes it seem like I said that about his latter-day work. I love me some FNM but I have been a huge fan of his other projects (Mr Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, etc). IMO, his best work has come outside of FNM.
Old 02-24-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hopefully a Mr. Bungle reunion will follow shortly!
Yes! I saw Fantomas a few years back and it was a thrilling experience. I would burst if I got to see Mr Bungle.
Old 02-24-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I'd be excited to see either Faith No More or Mr. Bungle.
Old 02-24-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
I hate that the quote you posted makes it seem like I said that about his latter-day work. I love me some FNM but I have been a huge fan of his other projects (Mr Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, etc). IMO, his best work has come outside of FNM.
I changed the "posted by" to be more accurate.

Have you heard the General Patton Vs the X-Ecutioners album? that one has me really intrigued.

Last edited by kefrank; 02-24-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kefrank

Have you heard the General Patton Vs the X-Ecutioners album? that one has me really intrigued.
No, I could never find it in stores when it came out and I never heard anything off it so I never ordered it. Thanks for reminding me. I may just order this off Amazon today.
Old 02-25-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Angel Dust is one of the greatest albums of all-time.

That being said, No Jim Martin = No Sale. It's simple, really.
Old 02-25-09, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank

I really liked it, although I'm a big fan of turntablism in general so if that's not your thing you might not dig it.
Old 02-26-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hixx
I really liked it, although I'm a big fan of turntablism in general so if that's not your thing you might not dig it.
I love turntablism as well, so I should probably just suck it up and order the thing.
Old 02-26-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still hope that Patton, with or without FNM, does an album of ballad covers. Easy, I Started A Joke, and This Guy's In Love With You are among their best stuff.
Old 02-26-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The official announcement:

Faith No More has always stood out as some sort of unique beast; part dog, part cat–its music almost as schizophrenic as the personalities of its members. When it all worked, it worked really well, even if the chemistry was always volatile. Throughout our 17years of existence, the mental and physical energy required to sustain this creature was considerable and relentless. Though amicable enough, when we finally split, we all followed paths seemingly destined to opposite ends of the universe.

Yet during the entire 10 years that have passed since our decision to break up we’ve experienced constant rumors and requests from fans and promoters alike. Nevertheless, for whatever reason, none of us kept in regular touch, much less to discuss any possibilities of getting together.

What’s changed is that this year, for the first time, we’ve all decided to sit down together and talk about it. And what we’ve discovered is that time has afforded us enough distance to look back on our years together through a clearer lens and made us realize that through all the hard work, the music still sounds good, and we are beginning to appreciate the fact that we might have actually done something right.

Meanwhile we find ourselves at a moment in time with zero label obligations, still young and strong enough to deliver a kickass set, with enthusiasm to not only revisit our past but possibly add something to the present. And so with this we’ve decided to hold our collective breaths and jump off this cliff….
BACK, GOD FORBID, INTO THE MONKEY CAGE!!!

We can only hope that the experience of playing together again will yield results erratic and unpredictable enough to live up to the legacy of FNM.
Who know where this will end or what it will bring up…only the future knows. But we are about to find out!

FAITH NO MORE are:
Mike Bordin, Roddy Bottum, Bill Gould, Jon Hudson and Mike Patton
Old 02-26-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mike Patton. No Thanks.
Old 02-26-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Um, okay.

Hey, if you don't share atlantamoi's opinion, let's continue the discussion here.
Old 02-28-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope this comes to fruition in the U.S. I was lucky enough to see them on the Real Thing, Angel Dust, King for a Day and Album of the Year tours. The last show I saw (1998) was plagued by technical issues so it was a sad way to end their career. Needless to say, Angel Dust and King for a Day were absolutely incredible.

Although I am a purist, Jim Martin would be nice, but isn't essential to the reunion. The 1995 show was just as good as 1992. Chuck Moseley isn't even a 2nd thought in my mind. I love hearing the pre-Patton stuff, but sung by Patton. Patton took this band to the next level. Although I think all members are equally talented and important. Bill Gould is a really cool guy. I was lucky enough to meet some of the band members in 1998. I also met Patton on the California tour for Mr. Bungle. I was pretty awestruck, but he was relatively friendly and appreciative of my borderline psychotic praise for him.
Old 06-10-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Setlist from first show. Their choice for first song is gold:

Spoiler:

01. Reunited (PEACHES & HERB cover)
02. The Real Thing
03. From Out Of Nowhere
04. Land Of Sunshine
05. Caffeine
06. Evidence
07. Chinese Arithmetic
08. Surprise! You're Dead!
09. Easy
10. Last Cup Of Sorrow
11. Midlife Crisis
12. Cockoo For Caca
13. The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies
14. RX
15. King For A Day
16. Malpractice
17. Jizzlobber
18. Be Aggressive
19. Epic
20. Mark Bowen

Encore 1:

21. Chariots Of Fire/Stripsearch
22. Just A Man

Encore 2:

23. I Started A Joke
24. Pristina
Old 06-11-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, great set. Hope they hit the states on this tour.
Old 06-11-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Setlist from first show. Their choice for first song is gold:

Spoiler:

01. Reunited (PEACHES & HERB cover)
02. The Real Thing
03. From Out Of Nowhere
04. Land Of Sunshine
05. Caffeine
06. Evidence
07. Chinese Arithmetic
08. Surprise! You're Dead!
09. Easy
10. Last Cup Of Sorrow
11. Midlife Crisis
12. Cockoo For Caca
13. The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies
14. RX
15. King For A Day
16. Malpractice
17. Jizzlobber
18. Be Aggressive
19. Epic
20. Mark Bowen

Encore 1:

21. Chariots Of Fire/Stripsearch
22. Just A Man

Encore 2:

23. I Started A Joke
24. Pristina
Holy crap! I couldn't be more ecstatic about that! I cannot wait for this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.