Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Last Horror Film - worth it?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-21-09, 07:14 PM
Internet Brands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having 3 friends mention this re-release I read the review here - and it got DVDTalk's collector series / highly recommended, I'm thinking of pickin it up but wanted to see if any of you guys have checked this out?

I'm not familiar with Joe Spinell and what all the hype is on this but my interest has been sparked.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Last Horror Film - worth it?

I haven't checked this out yet, but as of today you can stream in on Netflix if you have a membership...
Old 05-21-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched Joe Spinell in a film called, Maniac. I've seen the guy before in bit parts but never in something that he carried ..or would I have known about it at the time. In any case - say what you will about Maniac but his performance is brilliant! ..one creepy ass psychotic.

A buddy of mine who is familiar with The Last Horror film said that although the film shares some similarities with Maniac it is also an inferior film. However, Spinell's performance is nearly as great and that alone has peaked my interest in the one you're asking about.
Old 05-21-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the DVD collector edition rating had to be a april fools joke, right? I mean it isnt even 16x9, looks to be sourced from a tape, so this rating had to be a joke, right?
Old 05-21-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been on my wish-list for years, ever since the original DVD release came out. I'm always apprehensive about Troma DVD releases because they tend to screw them up so badly. Joe Spinell definitely deserved to have a better career than he ended up with. Starcrash?! wtf!
Old 05-21-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
. Starcrash?! wtf!
But he was surreal as Zarkon!

And the fact he was dubbed by someone who sounds like Paul Frees!
Old 05-21-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I gave it the 'highly recommended' but it's really only for fans of weird, whacked out '80s genre stuff. The movie isn't particularly scary, it's nowhere near as gory and nihilistic as Maniac. It's just kooky and goofy and Spinell is awesomely weird. If you like psychotronic type stuff you'll like it and it's got good extras, but it's far from hardcore horror.
Old 05-24-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
I gave it the 'highly recommended' but it's really only for fans of weird, whacked out '80s genre stuff.
It's great to see that Spinell's performance is top notch ..but what does "weird, whacked out '80's genre" actually represent? Really. Like classical American slasher horrors - Friday the 13th, Christmas Evil realms? ..or more like Lucio Fulci uncompromising '80's giallo and gore horrors ..or more "whacked out" classics like Sherman's Dead and Buried or Raimi's Evil Dead? Just curious ....
Old 05-24-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This needs to be included:

link to the DVD Talk review #1 of "The Last Horror Film"

link to the DVD Talk review #2 of "The Last Horror Film"

Last edited by dhmac; 05-24-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-24-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q
It's great to see that Spinell's performance is top notch ..but what does "weird, whacked out '80's genre" actually represent? Really. Like classical American slasher horrors - Friday the 13th, Christmas Evil realms? ..or more like Lucio Fulci uncompromising '80's giallo and gore horrors ..or more "whacked out" classics like Sherman's Dead and Buried or Raimi's Evil Dead? Just curious ....
It's so hard to quantify, since there's much goofball-ness on display, humor that wasn't probably intentional.

I'm thinking maybe Fade To Black or Savage Weekend with a bit of Blame It On Rio, Hardbodies or Megaforce. Seriously, though there is some gore, and some giallo-esque tension, for me the movie is more amusing lunacy than anything else.