Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Overscan and cutting off with Component hookup

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it seems as though my TV (AOC Envision L32W761) is cutting off a fair amount of image when displaying the component input. I can tell because the TV menu has a component set option that allows me to move the image vertically and horizontally by quite a few lines. I know that some overscan is normal, but it seems like this is more than the TV is supposed to from what I've read in other reviews. I don't have anything that hooks up to the TV via HDMI, but I've heard that there might be less overscan that way. I've also wondered if maybe the cheapness of the DVD player (basic progressive scan player) and/or the cables (basic Phillips component cables) may be causing it. Should I bother trying to get an HDMI-connecting DVD player and see if that improves things? Or is there another way to fix the issue?
Old 05-20-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Overscan and cutting off with Component hookup

Turn it off. The cable doesn't matter. The player could cause some issue, the way to check that is with a resolution chart from a setup disc like Avia.
Old 05-20-09, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Turn it off. The cable doesn't matter. The player could cause some issue, the way to check that is with a resolution chart from a setup disc like Avia.
I don't know how to turn it off. I looked at both menus, regular and service, and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off.
Old 05-20-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could try an HDMI player, it's certainly possible for it to have a different overscan on a different input. They start as low as $40 usually.
Old 05-20-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I doubt if HDMI is going to solve your problem--but can certainly try it to narrow down the possible causes. If anything, it's the TV. However, try finding out if your DVD player is actually in progressive mode. It might not be. This might affect the overscan a little. If it doesn't, I'd say your TV has an issue.
Old 05-21-09, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following Spiky's advice to use a disc like Avia to first determine whether you really have a problem is your first step.