Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Coming to PSN and XBL!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-28-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im surprised this isnt being discussed as isnt it a sought after cult game? I remember the arcade and always wanted the PS2 version but never found it than saw it was rare or something. Well its being remastered and coming soon!
Old 04-28-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Coming to PSN and XBL!

It's been discussed in the XBLA and PSN threads. I'm sure many would like it to have its own thread anyway.
Old 04-28-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a good overview of what's being done with the game - http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blo...s_mvc2_is_real

It’s based on the Dreamcast code base – While the PS2 and Xbox versions of MvC2 were great, there are a few niggling issues in them that have caused the competitive community to continue using the Dreamcast version of the game. We wanted to bring you the very best version of the game, so we listened to the community and started with the Dreamcast.

2. There is online – With the game being developed by Backbone, we are using largely the same, critically acclaimed net code that we used in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix and with that will come our player match quarter mode/lobby system that has proven so popular. Naturally leaderboards and some form of stats tracking (details to be provided at a later date) will also be in the mix. So on the net code side, you’re pretty much assured the best fighting game net code ever created for consoles.

3. HD upscaling options – Given that most people play Xbox 360s and PS3s on HD TVs, it’s important to help make the game look better. We’ve refined our real-time sprite filtering to use even more advanced techniques and we’re providing two upscaling options for the sprites… one we’ve termed “Crisp” the other we’ve termed “Smooth”. It’s a matter of personal preference for which one you’ll enjoy more. For purists, if you’d like you can use the “Classic” setting, which leaves the sprites completely unfiltered. Because the filtering is applied in real-time, you can change these settings on the fly, mid-match if you choose. Our producer will be showing you some comparison screenshots in the coming days to better clarify the differences. The backgrounds in MvC2 are all 3D, and when rendered at higher resolutions look fantastic. The original textures and assets from the Dreamcast were actually much higher quality than the Dreamcast could really display at the time and when shown in HD, the impact is really quite amazing.

4. Widescreen – Again, with most people playing on HD displays, we wanted to figure out how to implement widescreen support. To do so, the camera field of view was widened (which we’re able to do because of the 3D backgrounds effectively running off the “edges” of the 4:3 scenario) and there are a few camera tricks that minimize any impact on the gameplay. Play area is unchanged, and this is not a zoom and crop like HD Remix was. To put it simply, the gameplay area will be in a 4:3 field, while the viewing area will be widescreen. At the same time, for purists and competitive play, a 4:3 option (with vertical bars on the left and right) still exists.

5. No unlocking – While we love giving people unlockables in games, for this outing, there’s not a lot of surprises in terms of what characters are in the game. All 56 characters will be unlocked at the start for immediate play, again great for tournament play where players won’t need to mess with save game data or hacked versions (/shame).

6. Music Options – We love MvC2 but the original “jazzy” music has long been criticized even by ardent fans. Independent music volume controls and support of custom soundtracks on PS3 and 360 we deemed an important feature. Purists will still have what they love and fans of customization are also served.
Old 04-28-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And here's screenshot comparisons of the filtering modes.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jimmyrey...ts_mahvel_baby
Old 04-28-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How dare they allow you to choose your own music! They should force you to listen to that take you for a ride song on loop.

So now that this is coming out.. where is my damn VS compilation!!
I still want xmen vs street fighter and what about the original marvel vs capcom?
Old 04-28-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sign me up for this one! I didn't buy SF HD Remix last year, due to SFIV coming out, but it will be hard to resist getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2, since I've heard so much about it but have never gotten a chance to play it.
Old 04-28-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Sign me up for this one! I didn't buy SF HD Remix last year, due to SFIV coming out,
Same here. I will definitely be picking this one up. I actually brought out my Dreamcast a few months ago, so I'm glad this was announced.

Also for those that might not know. PSN is getting the demo this Thursday (April 30)

This Thursday, April 30, PlayStation Network users will enjoy a free, exclusive MVC2 demo! No need to purchase another game, just download it straight to your PS3 and get ready for some triple tag team action (A big thank you goes out to Rommel Hernandez who helped make this exclusive demo possible).

Here are the details of the demo:

* Two-player local matches
* Six available characters – Ryu, Chun-Li, Strider, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine
* Seven selectable environments
* Upscaled 1080p graphics
* Widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio
* Two graphic filter options for character sprites
* And other cool options to check out
Old 04-28-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda fell out of the fighting game scene after Street Fighter 2, so I missed out on the whole MvC series. It looks like fun - I'll have to try out the demo.
Old 04-28-09, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really surprising since I though the Marvel licensing would have prevented this release. Count me in on getting it on release day, even though I still have the PS2 disc.
Old 04-28-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mmm, breaking out the Hori FS3 for the demo
Old 04-28-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May I also piss a few people off by discussing this, but I might even pay $20 for this game.
Old 04-28-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be buying this for sure.
Old 04-28-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't begin to count the hours I played this on Dreamcast.
Old 04-28-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
While the PS2 and Xbox versions of MvC2 were great, there are a few niggling issues in them that have caused the competitive community to continue using the Dreamcast version of the game
How did niggling get through the censors?
Old 04-28-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And here's screenshot comparisons of the filtering modes.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jimmyrey...ts_mahvel_baby
Cool, I like the third option ("Crisp") best from that comparison...it seems the best compromise between the too blocky/pixilated original and the too blurred out "Smooth" option....
I'm guessing the used value of my original Xbox disc just took a huge nosedive, oh well!
Old 04-28-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Day 1 purchase for me. I'd pay up to $30 for this. I'm predicting it will be a 1200MSpoint title though. I hope this kills EB/Gamestops price gouging on used copies now.
Old 04-28-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Day 1 purchase for me. I'd pay up to $30 for this. I'm predicting it will be a 1200MSpoint title though. I hope this kills EB/Gamestops price gouging on used copies now.
Yeah, it will be. They already said it would be a 1200 point / $15 game.
Old 04-29-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I can handle $15 for this with no problem
Old 04-29-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

I hate fighting games. The main reason being im no good at them. MvC2 was the only fighting game i took the time to really learn. My buddies and i would play this for hours on my dreamcast over at my house. I absolutely cant wait for this. Only thing im kinda dissapointed in is that you have all characters unlocked from the start. I know thats good for online play, but i liked earning all the characters. Wonder if maybe in the future we may see some dlc of new characters
Old 04-29-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

But those that never played MvC1 will be completely lost!
Old 04-29-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never really played any of the Vs. games, so i'm curious how well this will play for me. I tried to play SF2 HD Remix the other day and I realized how spoiled I am after playing Street Fighter IV. SF2 just felt terrible.
Old 04-29-09, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
But those that never played MvC1 will be completely lost!
I still have that one and played a lot during Christmas.
Old 04-29-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I never got into 2, but I played the hell out of MvC1 on the Dreamcast. I have a copy of MvC2 on xbox that I didn't get all that long ago (within the last year), but I can't get into it. It's still really cool this is coming out though. I would pee on myself if they ever got around to releasing the X-men arcade game.
Old 04-29-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I would pee on myself if they ever got around to releasing the X-men arcade game.
Yup, this and The Simpsons seem like no-brainers. X-Men better support 6-player online as well.

I also wouldn't mind D&D Tower of Doom.
Old 04-29-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yup, this and The Simpsons seem like no-brainers. X-Men better support 6-player online as well.

I also wouldn't mind D&D Tower of Doom.
That's what I would've thought myself had I not been severely let down by the TMNT arcade port. That was a far better beat-em-up (at that time) than the X-Men or the Simpsons, and since it wasn't nearly as fun as I remember it to be, I doubt these other games would be either. Some things are best left to memory.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.