Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Inch Nails + Jane's Addiction = 2009 Tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-17-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Pollstar news story:
http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/a...17/649349.aspx

The full message from Trent:
2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye

Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really fucking FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.

Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Are there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.

Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.

Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.
Old 02-17-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Nine Inch Nails + Jane's Addiction = 2009 Tour

That should be a helluva show.
Old 02-17-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I mis-read that, or did he say that NIN is breaking up?
Old 02-17-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure that's why "a wave goodbye" is in the title of his blog entry.

It doesn't say "breaking up", though, but at the very least a hiatus.
Old 02-17-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while.
sounds more like a hiatus than angry breakup
Old 02-17-09, 04:29 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Hiatus, yes. I'm not sure Trent Reznor can break up with himself.
Old 02-17-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I just hope NIN isn't done permanently. I'd like a stronger finish than The Slip. Not that it was bad, but not nearly as good as Year Zero (IMO).
Old 02-17-09, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope we still get some NIN releases in the next few years. Ive enjoyed their recent output. I would welcome more GHOSTS releases. The Lights in the Sky your was extremely impressive and one of the 2 best shows Ive ever seen in concert. Wont go to this one though.
Old 02-17-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

As with all NIN shows that come through Denver, I'll be there.
Old 02-18-09, 12:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to this. Even if it is at the Forum. Although I hope it's not. But I will go.

Also, I really hope this doesn't scrap any plans for a Year Zero follow-up.
Old 02-18-09, 10:07 AM

I think Trent will still put out albums, but think he will wait some time to tour again. As noted in his post, this last tour drained him, and as we all know, he puts everything into each show.

If this is the fully reunited Jane's with Eric Avery on bass, then consider me there. When I saw them at Lolla a few years back when it was still a rolling tour and they were supporting Strays, I wasn't too impressed with the show.
Old 02-18-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm going to this. Even if it is at the Forum. Although I hope it's not. But I will go.

Also, I really hope this doesn't scrap any plans for a Year Zero follow-up.
You know it's gonna be at the Forum. Ugh. I fucking hate the Forum.

I've, sadly, never seen NIN before despite them being one of my favorite bands since 6th grade. Don't know why, just never went to a show. I might go to this one, but I don't like Jane's Addiction, and I don't want to pay out the ass for a ticket I only half care about. I'll wait until dates/pricing is announced before deciding.
Old 02-18-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to go. But more to see Jane's Addiction than Nine Inch Nails.
Old 02-18-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
You know it's gonna be at the Forum. Ugh. I fucking hate the Forum.

I've, sadly, never seen NIN before despite them being one of my favorite bands since 6th grade. Don't know why, just never went to a show. I might go to this one, but I don't like Jane's Addiction, and I don't want to pay out the ass for a ticket I only half care about. I'll wait until dates/pricing is announced before deciding.
If NIN is one of your favorite bands, you need to see them live. One of the best live acts I have ever seen. I would never pass up an opportunity to see them live, and they're not one of my favorite bands.
Old 02-18-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shameless attention-whoring:

My wife and I meeting Perry as last year's pre-Lollapalooza opening night VIP party

Old 02-19-09, 12:04 PM

this tour should be fucking amazing.

i did not read trent's entire article.
is he 'ending/quitting' music after this tour?
i doubt it.

<he will become a rapper like 'joaquin phoenix' - i hope not.>
Old 03-24-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Free Tour Sampler Music Downloads

Chip Away - Jane's Addiction
Clap for the Killers - Street Sweeper
Non-Entity - Nine Inch Nails
Not So Pretty Now - Nine Inch Nails
The Oath - Street Sweeper
Whores - Jane's Addiction

http://www.ninja2009.com/
Old 06-09-09, 11:21 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Sorry for the massive thread bump, but I was at the show Saturday (got tickets through work) and wow it was awesome!

SSSC was pretty cool..I love Tom Morello so that was a plus.

NIN, I have been waiting 5 years to see them (had tickets to the With Teeth touring, but my friend died the day of the show and I was in the middle of moving) and it was worth the wait. Classic songs and obsecure ones...very awesome.

Jane's, I saw all but 4 songs of the set. They were cool. I saw them in 2003 at Lollapalooza. Ironically, I think the set list was exactly the same.

Either way, incredibly diverse show...good time all around.
Old 06-09-09, 05:19 PM

I would have gone, but way too expensive by me.
Old 06-09-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I went to the show at Fiddler's Green, which is a venue I despise. Luckily, I was able to get in on the presale, and scored tickets about 5 rows back in the center, next to an aisle. I also did the $300 donation, so we got in early for the soundcheck, hearing 3 songs that weren't played that night. That was a lot of fun, as there were only about 150 people there for it, kind of like a private show.

We then did the meet and greet, which went better than I expected. We were allowed into a tented area 4 at a time to meet the band. Reznor was off to the side by himself, offered to sign my poster and my fiancee's album cover. He seemed incredibly intense, but quite nice. We were able to chat for a short time, get a couple of pictures, and then moved on to meet the rest of the band.

The rest of the band was grouped together for more chatting and picture taking. Justin was very nice, and seemed more excited to see us than we were to see them. Wild-eyed, he offered to sign our stuff, and then got the rest of the band in on it. Robin was very tall, we talked about my camera for a little while, and Ilan was awfully polite, but quiet.

The show itself was really good. Being a longtime fan of NIN, I was pretty excited to hear the setlist, although I still don't like Suck. My fiancee said she only new about 4 of the songs played, if it's any indication of how relatively obscure the setlist was. During the soundcheck and show, Trent was fairly chatty, moreso than other shows I've been to.

Street Sweeper were a really good time. I didn't expect to like them as much as I did. Very energetic, crowd/stage interaction, and Morello was all over the place.

Jane's Addiction, while liking them somewhat, put on a good show as well. The rhythm section in particular was fantastic. Overall, though, the band didn't really seem to be a band, more like 4 guys playing the same songs on the same stage.
Old 06-10-09, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Sorry for the massive thread bump, but I was at the show Saturday (got tickets through work) and wow it was awesome!

SSSC was pretty cool..I love Tom Morello so that was a plus.

NIN, I have been waiting 5 years to see them (had tickets to the With Teeth touring, but my friend died the day of the show and I was in the middle of moving) and it was worth the wait. Classic songs and obsecure ones...very awesome.

Jane's, I saw all but 4 songs of the set. They were cool. I saw them in 2003 at Lollapalooza. Ironically, I think the set list was exactly the same.

Either way, incredibly diverse show...good time all around.
you went to the Holmdel show? I was there too, awesome set list. I almost thought they were going to play Broken in order, which would have been ridiculously awesome.

I was in the 301 section. Did you see the hardcore guy who was brought into the show on a gurney by 2 EMS guys? That's the craziest thing I've ever seen at a concert.
Old 06-10-09, 03:51 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by neilo13
you went to the Holmdel show? I was there too, awesome set list. I almost thought they were going to play Broken in order, which would have been ridiculously awesome.

I was in the 301 section. Did you see the hardcore guy who was brought into the show on a gurney by 2 EMS guys? That's the craziest thing I've ever seen at a concert.
Yup. I was in 202, I was probably right in front of you. If you heard two bearded dudes yell out "GNOMES!" a few times, that was me and my brother.

It was a great set...I forgot how awesome some of those Broken songs are...and I call myself a fan...but it was worth the 5 year wait. I had a blast and it cemented Trent's place as one of the most amazing artist of all time. The mad is a genius and savvy.

And yes I did see that...fucking insane. But that is the cesspool that is South Jersey.
Old 06-11-09, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Yup. I was in 202, I was probably right in front of you. If you heard two bearded dudes yell out "GNOMES!" a few times, that was me and my brother.

It was a great set...I forgot how awesome some of those Broken songs are...and I call myself a fan...but it was worth the 5 year wait. I had a blast and it cemented Trent's place as one of the most amazing artist of all time. The mad is a genius and savvy.

And yes I did see that...fucking insane. But that is the cesspool that is South Jersey.
I drive from PA (the lehigh valley if you're familiar) to go to shows in Holmdel because it's way better than Camden and takes the same amount of time for me, so I would say it's a better class of cesspool. My only problem with that area is the insanely large highways and last minute exit signs.

I also mean to give the guy props for dedication to seeing a band. I could only hope to be that crazy.
Old 06-13-09, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

At the show in Charlotte last night. Good, but not great. Jane's Addiction blew NIN away in my opinion. I'm probably in the minority, but I was disappointed in NIN's performance.
Old 06-13-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't my type of music at all, but my nephew went to it last night in Charlotte and he did nothing but praise the entire show when he was telling me about it earlier today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.