Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you knew nothing about...and were surprised?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-23-08, 09:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

So you could take this a couple different ways, but I am wondering about movies (blind buys without the buys) if you will that you knew absolutely knew nothing about going in, but rented or saw in the theater based on a passing review or something like that, saw it and was pleasantly surprised, shockingly horrified, etc...

I just saw "The Visitor" which i rented. i heard about it and how good it was when it was reviewed on "At the Movies" whenever it was on. didn't really pay attention which is why i didn't know anything about it except that they said Richard Jenkins performance was basically awesome.

i didn't even read the back when i rented it, just took it and went. honestly thought it was about a guy who takes in an orphan or something like that. the cover art certainly doesn't elude to what it could be about.

i have to say that i was enthralled from the beginning and had no idea where it would go, but gleefully went along for the ride.

Jenkins was so awkward and believable that just seeing his facial gestures but me at unease. all the actors were so real and great in the roles and i will leave it at that as saying too much might spoil someone else's enjoyment and not knowing what it is all about.

this was just such a great movie that i fear it will get swallowed up during awards season, at least it is getting nominated for some awards but his performance is Oscar worthy and think it deserved a Golden Globe nom. then i saw it was written and directed by the guy who did "The Station Agent" which was another i was floored with after first and subsequent viewings.

this is a really good movie that i had no idea about and loved it!
Old 12-23-08, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw "Let the Right One In" at my local indie theater, and fell in love. I knew nothing about it, but saw that it was the favorite movie of Edgar Wright for the year, and I really respect his taste in movies. A fantastic movie.
Old 12-23-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
La Vie en Rose. Saw it at the arthouse theater downtown, knew nothing about it besides it being about some singer ive never heard of and the lead performance was getting buzz. Wow, that movie was amazing. It even got an applause after the movie was over.
Old 12-23-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
but I am wondering about movies (blind buys without the buys) if you will that you knew absolutely knew nothing about going in, but rented or saw in the theater based on a passing review or something like that
How can you know absolutely nothing about a movie, yet have read a review? I thought this was about either walking into a theater or renting a movie only based on a title... and nothing else. To me... that is knowing nothing about a movie.

I just saw "The Visitor" which i rented. i heard about it and how good it was when it was reviewed on "At the Movies" whenever it was on. didn't really pay attention which is why i didn't know anything about it except that they said Richard Jenkins performance was basically awesome.
Jenkins was so awkward and believable that just seeing his facial gestures but me at unease.
So, where was the surprise? Sounds like your experience confirmed what you have read about.

But, to answer your question.... no, I will always know something about a movie before I see it.
Old 12-23-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
The Grapes of Death
I went in expecting a very slow and moody "Arthouse" type of horror film. Had no idea that it would end up as a fast-paced, brutal action extravaganza!
Old 12-23-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The Grapes of Death
I went in expecting a very slow and moody "Arthouse" type of horror film. Had no idea that it would end up as a fast-paced, brutal action extravaganza!

See Lips of Blood (Lèvres de Sang) IMO it is Jean Rollins best film.
The only thing is that it perfectly fits your description
(very slow and moody "Arthouse" type of horror film).
Old 12-24-08, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Primal Fear in VHS back in the day.

Nowadays I usually know too much about movies.
Old 12-24-08, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Went to the Drive-in years ago specifically to see Air Force One. Paid no attention to what movie it was paired with that night (Men in Black) and literally knew nothing about it except for who was in it.
Old 12-24-08, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Swingers. Had never heard of it, and looking back not sure what enticed me to rent it. But I did, and loved it.
Old 12-24-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had seen one preview for "The Matrix" during the Super Bowl which I really didn't pay much attention to. Anyhow, a few months later my friend wanted to go see it, so I went with him. Whoa...
Old 12-24-08, 08:05 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
Reservoir Dogs, The Usual Suspects, Swingers
Old 12-24-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'Ronin Gai' - remains one of my favorite films.

'Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer' - remains one of my favorite films.

'Strange Cargo' - ' '
Old 12-24-08, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Whole Nine Yards - Somehow, I knew nothing about this when I saw it in the theater. I thought it was going to be terrible, but I liked it a lot.
Old 12-24-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Beautiful Girls. Happened to catch it on HBO one rainy Saturday afternoon and it is now one of my favorite movies.
Old 12-24-08, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
How can you know absolutely nothing about a movie, yet have read a review? I thought this was about either walking into a theater or renting a movie only based on a title... and nothing else. To me... that is knowing nothing about a movie.

So, where was the surprise? Sounds like your experience confirmed what you have read about.

But, to answer your question.... no, I will always know something about a movie before I see it.
you actually highlighted and bolded the part where i say "i HEARD about it and how good it was when it was reviewed on "At the Movies" whenever it was on. didn't really PAY ATTENTION which is why i didn't know anything about it except that they said Richard Jenkins performance was basically awesome."

where in there do you see READ a review? i HEARD that Jenkins was good and that is all i based my pick on. maybe i should have simply clarified and said i knew nothing about story or plot.

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-24-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-24-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fight Club. Went as a lark, thinking it was just about a bunch of guys picking fights with strangers.
Old 12-24-08, 05:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain It now is in my top favs.
Old 12-24-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ruddiger_718
I just saw "Let the Right One In" at my local indie theater, and fell in love. I knew nothing about it, but saw that it was the favorite movie of Edgar Wright for the year, and I really respect his taste in movies. A fantastic movie.
All I knew going in that it was a vampire film and that people were calling it one of the best horror films made in the past decade.

The same also applies to this year's The Signal. I remember seeing the teaser to it when The Host came out over a year prior to it's release; but besides that, I knew nothing about it. Luckily, it was playing in a movie theater in Santa Monica when I was in Santa Monica, so I was able to see it.
Old 12-24-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Sergio Leone movies. Particularly the first two I watched, Once Upon a Time in the West and The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. I never expected them to be so hip and cool.

The Seventh Seal is the same way. The modern sensibilities are fascinating to watch.

I watched two Billy Jack movies recently. My dad always liked them. But I didn't have any idea what to expect there. It's a little hokey now. But Billy Jack himself and the simple story and situations play out really well. And it was back when they were just trying to make the best possible movie - not trying to be all tongue in cheek and stuff.

The Mexican. The Brad Pitt movie. Lots of fun. Relatively original.

Boogie Nights and Magnolia. I bought them both, at one time, on DVD. Didn't know to expect such awesomeness.

I used to always check out movies at the local arthouse theater. I'd just kind of look at the poster and decide what I want to see. Amelie, In the Bedroom, Mulholland Drive ... oooo The Fast Runner was a great one. I am kind of suprised that it never caught on. It just kind of came, got some critical praise and left.

When I was 15-20, I just picked up every movie I could find and watched it. Heck, I didn't know about Apocalypse Now before just buying it on DVD and watching it. Farting around on the internet nowadays, I prepare myself a lot more about what I'm going to see.
Old 12-24-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Abre Los Ojos... I saw it on cable one night about 8 or 9 years ago, about 20 minutes into the movie, and only stayed watching because Penelope Cruz looked positively luminous (as always). Plus I love Spanish-language cinema. I continued watching and found myself getting more and more intrigued by the story, and then of course by the time the FULL WHAMMY hit I was completely hooked and utterly mesmerized.

Such a fantastic film.

Plus, ya know, Penelope's boobies... que rico...
Old 12-24-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Funny that this question comes along right after I discovered a nasty little piece of cinema called Edmond. I haven't shut up about it since I saw it last weekend. I just grabbed it off the shelf at the local library randomly as filler with some reserved library titles. I'd never heard of it or read anything about it. It completely blew me away.
Old 12-24-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frost/Nixon...I knew absolutely nothing about this historical interview and saw the film and absolutely enjoyed it.