Reload this Page >

SecondSpin.com: 20% off + Free Shipping on orders over $30

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 12-18-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the title says. Coupon code is FSTWENTY.
Old 12-18-08, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boo for $30 min
Old 12-18-08, 06:28 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
sucks...just ordered stuff the last 2 weeks...atleast i had free shipping though.
Old 12-18-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the first time in a while, there's nothing I want at the prices they are selling it for here.

-beebs
Old 12-18-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by beebs
For the first time in a while, there's nothing I want at the prices they are selling it for here.

-beebs
Is it me or are their prices going up? I've noticed things I'm interested in are more then they used to be.
Old 12-18-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WTF?! I JUST ordered something over $30 ($31 actually) about an hour ago!!! where was this post then HUH?! grr...
Old 12-18-08, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

They have a great selection of HD DVDs...very very tempted but their prices a really high especially for used copies even with the 20% off and free shipping.
Old 12-19-08, 01:54 AM

30.00 USD = 19.8752 GBP

Well, with £18 being the UK customs limit, this means I'll no longer be able to order from SecondSpin if all their future 20% off + free shipping codes require a minimum spend of $30. In the past it would've been fine since $30 used to be equal to around £15, but with the pound currently being so weak I'd get hit by customs if I used the code.

It's annoying because there's a number of Geneon titles I was waiting to go for when the 'heynow' code became active again. :/
Old 12-19-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It´s a great deal for some of us living in Europe (Even better as I live in Denmark since the Danish Krone is very, very strong). Especially now that the Dollar has gone down again.

Regarding the prices, SecondSpin seem to have increased their prices a Dollar or two or more. What´s really strange is that when one compare the prices with SPUN - which are the same company - the price are much, much lower at SPUN.

I bought "Bank Job 2-Disc" at SPUN for $6.00 used. SecondSpin want $17.99 used.

Last edited by Dane; 12-19-08 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! The $30 minimum wasn't a hindrance for me, as I wanted to pick up a MST3K box set. Also got one of those Whale Songs CDs for 80 cents.
Old 12-19-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Originally Posted by Aion
30.00 USD = 19.8752 GBP

Well, with £18 being the UK customs limit, this means I'll no longer be able to order from SecondSpin if all their future 20% off + free shipping codes require a minimum spend of $30. In the past it would've been fine since $30 used to be equal to around £15, but with the pound currently being so weak I'd get hit by customs if I used the code.

It's annoying because there's a number of Geneon titles I was waiting to go for when the 'heynow' code became active again. :/
I've found that even when I order more than one title at a time, they have often shipped them separately, anyway. Although, I would tend to order separately (or at least under $20CAN) for the same reason you're stating.
Old 12-19-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Prices are a little high,but I found some cheap DVD's I think I might like and added them to my order.

I post my order.Also this is my 3rd order with SS,I been very happy with the DVd'sI got for the most part.I did order some Wiggles DVD/CD that came with no CD.I emailed them them about it,I did not ask for anything.
But they sent me 2 more Wiggles again with no CD's. :-)
I phone next time to explain what I got,and ask if this is normal that the CD is missing.

Also if your looking for Spider-Man: The High Definition Trilogy [Blu-ray] 4 disc.
Listed for $43,but with 20% off.The price comes down to around
$33 with free shipping.Not a bad price.
Amazon had it for sale yesterday for $38,but it was brand new from Amazon,but sold out quick.

http://www.secondspin.com/movies/pro...jsp?id=2699631

Poseidon [HD-DVD]
Used DVD - Price: $5.82

Traffic [Special Edition] [2 Discs] [Widescreen] (Criterion Collection)
Used DVD - Price: $9.59

3 Extremes
Used DVD - Price: $4.79

Drop Dead Sexy
Used DVD - Price: $1.26

Mean Season [Widescreen]
Used DVD - Price: $1.26

Irresistible
Used DVD - Price: $1.58

Matador [Full Screen]
Used DVD - Price: $1.58

Fearless
Used DVD - Price: $1.59

Snows of Kilimanjaro

Chinese Connection [Widescreen]

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig, Vol. 1
Used DVD - Price: $2.14

Kiddy Grade: File Collection 2 [2 Discs]
Used DVD - Price: $2.14

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance [Widescreen] [2 Discs]
Used DVD - Price: $7.99

Total Bought: $42.92
Old 12-19-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would anyone bother to make a statement like "if all future 20%-off codes require [something]?" SecondSpin has different deals all the time. The one that resurfaces once in a while, using code "heynow," has no minimum order to get the 20%-off. Most others I have seen have required $25, $50, or even $75 to qualify for free shipping. Some require you to buy used CDs first. Some are a 30% discount. Some are 15%. Is it possible that they now have a policy that all future sales will have a minimum purchase requirement? Of course. But why bother even speculating about it; there's no evidence to suggest that's the case; heynow was active just a few weeks ago.

And for people that are discussing "seeming" price increases, SS has 102 items currently in stock that are on my want-list. Every couple of weeks, I copy and paste my Personal Favorites list into a spreadsheet, so I have a record of their prices at diffferent times, and I can more easily see things that are available or not available compared to last time. I have had zero price increases in the last month. Zero. Is it possible that some items have gone up in price? Again, of course. SS operates on supply and demand. I have seen price fluctuations, and they have been discussed in this forum before. But they drop prices, too.

If you have actual evidence of specific price increases, then post about it--especially if you see a price increase at the beginning of a sale and then decrease immediately afterwards. That would be a problem I think everyone would be interested in.

At this time, I'll be ordering about 15 things, all of which are $7 or less. For items priced higher than that, I'll wait until a 30%-off sale (that usually doesn't have free shipping). 20%-off with FS is always better for anything $5 or less. Anything more than that, and the 30%-off starts to become better, since shipping has a base price ($3) and then an incremental addition ($.50 each item). As a result, it depends on how many things you order as to where the breakpoint is for which is a better deal.

For example, ordering 17 items would give you a shipping charge of $11. To beat that with a 30%-off code, you have to order at least $110 worth of stuff. That means the average cost per item should be more than $110/17=$6.47. Anything priced under $6.47, and you'd be better off ordering at 20%-off with free shipping.

Ordering only 2 things would have a shipping charge of $3.50, meaning you have to order at least $35 worth of stuff to make it cheaper with a 30%-off sale, meaning you should only order items under $35/2=$17.50 with the 20%-off + FS.

Formula: $((3 + (N-1)/2) * 10) / N = breakpoint, where N is the number of items you're ordering. Anything priced higher than that, I'll wait for a 30%-off sale.

Last edited by Cheato; 12-19-08 at 03:23 PM. Reason: clarified a point
Old 12-19-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How come the prices are so much higher than SPUN when they are the same company. Yes, Spun might not have that many used DVDs, but the ones they have are way lower than SecondSpin.

I`m happy with SecondSpin, but I find their prices a bit high - even when they have more than 9 of a given title in stock. You really have to watch out when looking, and only get the ones that are fair in price. Below are some examples of some ridicules price differences.

SecondSpin wants $15.99 for Band´s Visit. Spun has it for $11.99
SecondSpin wants $11.99 for Kill the Poor. Spun has it for $5.48
SecondSpin wants $11.99 for Noise. Spun has it for $5.08
Old 12-19-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
How come the prices are so much higher than SPUN when they are the same company. Yes, Spun might not have that many used DVDs, but the ones they have are way lower than SecondSpin.
Spun and Secondspin are not the same company.
Old 12-19-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
I believe it's secondspin.com and wherehouse.com that are the same...
Old 12-20-08, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
I believe it's secondspin.com and wherehouse.com that are the same...
and fye and suncoast and sam goodys (actually, are they around any longer?). they are all under twec yesh?
Old 12-20-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Spun and Secondspin are not the same company.
Yes, they are.

They share the same inventory. Try to exchange "spun" with "secondspin" in the URL.
Old 12-20-08, 03:16 AM

Posted this elsewhere yesterday:

Originally Posted by Rui
But $30-20% is safe. So long as you don't go over by much and so long as the pound doesn't continue to wobble around like this it's such a shame.
This is why, with my brain power, numeracy was never something I had a chance at being good at it. It sucks to be dumb.

After you helped me discover that the $30 wouldn't be $30 with 20% off (IQ over 9000, clearly!), I made two orders, being careful both times to not take the total with the 20% off over the limit.

These were my orders:

Order 1:

Law of Ueki, Vol. 2: Friends and Enemies - $5.82
Law of Ueki, Vol. 3 - $5.66
Law of Ueki, Vol. 4: Neo - The New Celestial - $5.50
Law of Ueki, Vol. 5: Dogra Mansion Showdown - $5.82
Please Twins!, Vol. 3: Only for You - $2.39

Total: $25.19

Order 2:

Law of Ueki, Vol. 6 - $5.82
Law of Ueki, Vol. 7: Teammates Wanted - $6.22
Law of Ueki, Vol. 8: Key to Victory - $5.90
Please Twins!, Vol. 4: Twins Forever - $3.19
Fafner, Vol. 6: Next Evolution - $4.22

Total: $25.35

-------------

It's an awful shame for a bargain hunter like me that £1 only equals $1.48. If we still lived in a time when a pound was equal to 2 dollars then these orders would be real steals, but at present they're more risky than anything. Even if the pound doesn't weaken further by the time the bastards at customs get their hands on my packages, it's unlikely that all 7 Ueki volumes will come in their original white cases, and white cases aren't exactly easy to get for cheap.

In the past $50 would've only been £25. Now? Nearly £34. It's not good.
Old 12-20-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, they are.

They share the same inventory. Try to exchange "spun" with "secondspin" in the URL.
They do not share an inventory and they are not the same company. You must be confusing it with Wherehouse.

Like Hindolio mentioned, Secondspin is a TWEC company, but Spun is not.

http://www.twec.com/corpsite/stores/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_World_Entertainment
Old 12-20-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
They do not share an inventory and they are not the same company. You must be confusing it with Wherehouse.

Like Hindolio mentioned, Secondspin is a TWEC company, but Spun is not.

http://www.twec.com/corpsite/stores/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_World_Entertainment
I still think you´re completely wrong. Here is the reason.

SecondSpin (SS)told me they own Spun on the phone. SS suggested me to use the SPUN website, to locate a given title by the UPC code, after which to exchange "spun" with "SecondSpin" to check availability. This can only be done if they share the same inventory.

I tried it and it works.
Old 12-20-08, 02:24 PM
Suspended

I got an order yesterday that was missing two items. Anyone know if they're CS is up to snuff? I contacted them about it.
Old 12-20-08, 03:39 PM

Secondspin are one of the best customer service providers out there (in my experience). They are always quick to correct an error (typically mailing out your replacement prior to receiving an incorrect item back in return, for example - something that deep discount won't do, despite it being their fault).

I have had a few orders that have had incorrect items, but the price and service more than make up for it. Many times an item arrives, and its new and sealed, despite the used price.
Old 12-20-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I still think you´re completely wrong. Here is the reason.

SecondSpin (SS)told me they own Spun on the phone. SS suggested me to use the SPUN website, to locate a given title by the UPC code, after which to exchange "spun" with "SecondSpin" to check availability. This can only be done if they share the same inventory.

I tried it and it works.
I'm not sure if there is any ownership but if you look at the bottom right of wherehouse.com, it says powered by spun.com. So you are correct that there is some relationship. It might just be their database system and nothing beyond that. That would explain why you can replace the company names and get the same products.
Old 12-20-08, 04:20 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
I hate to get off topic but... Stronghold7000 how do you store over 3000 DVDs??? Id love to see pictures.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.