Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Help!! green tint picture quality.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-07-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just notice my Sony HDTV Model No. KDS-R50XBR1 has a green tint picture quality. I think the cause was when I was watching Blu-ray movie on my PS3, and I fell asleep left the TV on for 6 hours. But with the PS3 System it's has a screen saver mode. It dims the TV screen when in idle mode for 10 minutes. I guess the movie ended, and was in idle mode in the movie main menu with the TV screen dimmed for 6 hours. Any idea's what could be the problem?? I've tried resetting the TV to factory default. Also unplugging the power cable. And moving Home theater speakers away. Green tint is still there.
Old 12-08-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
it's a known problem with the set. I believe Sony will cover/replace it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi.../t-824760.html
Old 12-08-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Yep, this is unfortunately a fairly common problem with these sets (along with Sony's other LCOS RP sets). Luckily Sony has (very rightfully so) extended the warranty on the optical blocks (which is the culprit) for these or may even offer you an LCD set for a greatly reduced price. I have a Sony 60A2000 which can also suffer from this. I've owned it nearly two years now and it's ok so far, but I'm still keeping an eye out for problems. It's really too bad, because otherwise the Sony LCOS sets are fantastic. Anyway, don't worry, it isn't your fault, you did nothing to cause this. Just make sure to contact Sony.

Last edited by cultshock; 12-08-08 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Yep, this is unfortunately a fairly common problem with these sets (along with Sony's other LCOS RP sets). Luckily Sony has (very rightfully so) extended the warranty on the optical blocks (which is the culprit) for these or may even offer you an LCD set for a greatly reduced price. I have a Sony 60A2000 which can also suffer from this. I've owned it nearly two years now and it's ok so far, but I'm still keeping an eye out for problems. It's really too bad, because otherwise the Sony LCOS sets are fantastic. Anyway, don't worry, it isn't your fault, you did nothing to cause this. Just make sure to contact Sony.
Thanks for the replies guys. At first I thought it was the speakers but it didn't make sense because I had it at the same place since it was purchased and never showed the green tint.

Will give Sony a call and let you guys know what happened. Thanks again.