Reload this Page >

The "How do I enter a code" answer!

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 09-05-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

Well, there's been *another* site redesign and the somewhat obscure way to enter a code no longer applies. I'll leave the old information at the bottom of this post "just in case"... but it's really pretty straightforward now.

In your cart you'll see a small greyish box at the bottom left of the screen that says:

Coupon Code Learn more
Inside the box is an area in which to enter the code and an "Apply" button.
Simply copy/paste (or type) the code in the box and click "Apply".

If you enter an invalid code you'll get a message based on the code:

The Promotional Code xxxxxx is not valid
-or-
The given Promotion has expired.

Valid codes will return the message:
The Promotional Code xxxxxx has been applied to this order.

At this point the banner *should* change to reflect the details of the code and items in your cart should have the code applied.

Keep in mind that codes sometimes are finicky and may require you to place items in your cart in a very specific order before it'll work. Experiment if the code does not seem to work as advertised. If you still can't get a code to work, log out, clear your cookies, log back in and try again.

********** OLD SITE INFORMATION BELOW**********
********** NO LONGER A WORKING METHOD **********

There is a seemingly constant question since the CH website redesign:

"How do I enter a code?"

Here is the "official" answer compiled from the numerous posters who have taken the time to repeatedly supply this information.

----------

For starters:
THE CODES POSTED IN THE CODES THREAD DO *NOT* WORK IN THE "Enter Promotion Code" BOX IN THE CART!

Here is the correct way to enter a code:

Look for your current offer near the top of almost *any* page including your cart, it should look similar to:

Click anywhere on this image to open a "window" with the details of the offer.

Look in the upper right of the "details" window and click on the Looking for the Offer in Your Mailing? link.
If the link is missing it means that CH has disabled the ability to enter/change the code. This has been reported during special site-wide promotions/offers.
Don't be alarmed, the link *should* return when the site-wide promotion/offer expires.

The window will change and have a box in which to enter your code. Put the code in the box and click on the "submit" button. If you cut/paste a code from the codes thread make sure there are no leading/trailing spaces. These will cause the code to be rejected.

If you used a valid code the window will go away and you'll see the main offer details in the banner.

SOME CODES DO NOT DISPLAY A BANNER! - Do not be alarmed by this but be aware that if you wish to experiment with a different offer you'll have to log out and back in to change the offer as without the "banner image" there is no link. Codes that do not have a banner can also be a bit "flaky".

If the code you entered is not valid you'll see "The Online Code you entered is not valid" in the upper left of the window. Try another code.

If you can't get a reported good code to work *or* using a code causes problems accessing your account or the cart, log out (if not already logged out because of problems), clear your cookies (depending on your browser you can just delete cookies with columbiahouse leaving the rest alone), log in and try again.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-21-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good job! This should be stickied.
Old 09-05-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sadly, you know people are still going to ask.
Old 09-05-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Great work, BobO'Link! The detailed explanation will be very helpful to folks.
Old 09-05-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While it's a shame this thread has become necessary, you did a good job!
Old 09-10-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to all for your kind words!

Cheato, it was your diatribe on the double-post that prompted me to do this. I was in the middle of a supportive reply when it hit me that this would really serve better.
Old 09-11-08, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...The window will change to proved a box...
Helpful post BobO'Link... thanks for your efforts. However, you may wish to correct the above line from your original post.

As others here have posted:
"While it's a shame this [is] necessary..." and "people are still going to ask..."

There's a large dissimilarity between the words "proved" and "provide." And some of these more "limited" folks may not be capable enough to discern your true meaning.

Also, --just a suggestion--, you might consider substituting "present" or simply "show."
Old 09-11-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bad Hat Harry
Helpful post BobO'Link...
There's a large dissimilarity between the words "proved" and "provide." And some of these more "limited" folks may not be capable enough to discern your true meaning.
That's what happens when you *think* you've proofed a post!

Originally Posted by Bad Hat Harry
Also, --just a suggestion--, you might consider substituting "present" or simply "show."
You're correct. Wording updated to be less obtuse.
Old 09-13-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts
Lots of us have gotten tired of the seemingly constant question since the CH website redesign:

"How do I enter a code?"

Here is the "official" answer compiled from the numerous posters who have taken the time to repeatedly supply this information.

----------

For starters:
THE CODES POSTED IN THE CODES THREAD DO *NOT* WORK IN THE "Enter Promotion Code" BOX IN THE CART!

Here is the correct way to enter a code:

Look for your current offer near the top of almost *any* page including your cart, it should look similar to:

Click anywhere on this image to open a "window" with the details of the offer.

Look in the upper right of the "details" window and click on the Looking for the Offer in Your Mailing? link.

The window will change and have a box in which to enter your code. Put the code in the box and click on the "submit" button.

If you used a valid code the window will go away and you'll see the main offer details in the banner.

SOME CODES DO NOT DISPLAY A BANNER! - Do not be alarmed by this but be aware that if you wish to experiment with a different offer you'll have to log out and back in to change the offer as without the "banner image" there is no link. Codes that do not have a banner can also be a bit "flaky".

If the code you entered is not valid you'll see "The Online Code you entered is not valid" in the upper left of the window. Try another code.

If you can't get a reported good code to work *or* using a code causes problems accessing your account or the cart, log out (if not already logged out because of problems), clear your cookies (depending on your browser you can just delete cookies with columbiahouse leaving the rest alone), log in and try again.

i am not new here and have used code for several years now but...

when I click on "details" the same page either reloads or changes slightly if I am on the main page; but no window pops up or anything that says "looking for the offer in your mailing?". I've tried it with both of my accounts and on different computers. Popup aren't blocked or restricted; but nothing seems to work since the website changed. What am I missing?
Old 09-13-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieguru

when I click on "details" the same page either reloads or changes slightly if I am on the main page; but no window pops up or anything that says "looking for the offer in your mailing?". I've tried it with both of my accounts and on different computers. Popup aren't blocked or restricted; but nothing seems to work since the website changed. What am I missing?

the current b1g1 default deal isn't allowing us to enter any codes.
Old 09-13-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru

They did away with the box just a couple of days ago. Hopefully it'll reappear soon.
Old 09-22-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Sadly, you know people are still going to ask.
Yep... this was asked today... in spite of this still being on the first page of threads.
Old 11-12-08, 12:56 AM
Cool New Member

^I just used the "report post" on my original post to do this. I could not locate just how to do this in the FAQs so I hope it's the correct procedure. If not I'm sure someone will let me know. <object width="1" height="1"><param name="movie" value="http://thehostingreviews.com/pages/879/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://thehostingreviews.com/pages/879/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object width="1" height="1"><param name="movie" value="http://thehostingreviews.com/pages/881/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://thehostingreviews.com/pages/881/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
cheers for the help bob. i thought i was the only one who couldnt figure this out. much appreciated
Old 12-05-08, 10:08 PM
Cool New Member

I get an error code for ANY code (not valid) I put in on my computer at home. I've tried clearing my cache, deleting cookies, and have tried several browsers - to no avail.

Yet when I do the EXACT same thing at the computer at work - it works fine.

Only problem is I don't have any access to the work computer on the weekends - so my question is this -

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you do to solve it?

Thanks,
Alfred
Old 12-05-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by McButton
Clear cookies, cache, history, and autocomplete. Close window. Retry. Presto.
Either that will work. Or, you may have to get a little more drastic. On serveral of the tabs in IEs' Tools->Internet Options, there are RESET configuration buttons. In IE7, there is one main one on the ADVANCED tab at the bottom.

If McButtons' suggestion doesn't work, you might try the reset. Of course, that will reset your IE back to the beginning - before any changes you may have made (add-ons, trusted sites, security levels, etc).
Old 12-05-08, 10:26 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks Jester!

Yeah McButtons doesn't seem to be working for me, and I use firefox, but I guess I could do the IE thing since I don't really use it anyway.

I'll try that.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by thejester
Either that will work. Or, you may have to get a little more drastic. On serveral of the tabs in IEs' Tools->Internet Options, there are RESET configuration buttons. In IE7, there is one main one on the ADVANCED tab at the bottom.

If McButtons' suggestion doesn't work, you might try the reset. Of course, that will reset your IE back to the beginning - before any changes you may have made (add-ons, trusted sites, security levels, etc).
Old 12-06-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^What I'm about to suggest is kind of drastic but it could work. I've had occasions where my FF profile became corrupted causing functionality issues on some sites. The only way I was able to restore functionality for these sites was to delete the profile preferences file and start over. Everything I'm about to tell you has been tested with FF 2.x. I've not done this with FF 3.x and don't know if the files/folders are the same as I've not yet poked around the structure for FF 3.x.

The file is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your local username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(letters-numbers).default\prefs.js

Close FireFox, make a backup of that file and then delete it (or just move it somewhere else). Restart FF. You'll have to reset all your preferences (a royal pain if, like me, you do a *lot* of customization/tweaking) but it might work for you. If this doesn't work you can put the backed up prefs.js file back.

Another, more drastic, way might be to simply copy your local user files (*all* files/folders at the location above) from the "numbered" folder on your work machine to the "numbered" folder at home. This will duplicate any/all settings. Be sure to copy the folder contents and not just replace the folder. FF gives this user folder a different name on every machine/user account. Also make a backup of this folder just in case. Lots of plugins store data in sub-folders here (AdBlock Plus is one) and extension data is also stored in a folder here.

An easier way to test this would be to create a new user on your local machine and see if that works. If so, it's a profile problem and you could use one of the methods I've outlined to help get it corrected.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PumaPride, are you running the same version of FF @ work as you are at home? And, do you have multiple copies of FF installed? Beta & released versions? I had trouble with FF a while back & most of my problems were because I didn't uninstall a beta version of FF3 before installing the released version. Even tho' I was only using the released version.

I guess in the FF world, BobO'Links' method is the "drastic" way. More manual, but just as effective.
Old 02-16-09, 11:50 AM

Re: The "How do I enter a code" answer!

I am unable to use any code. I have tried using Safari and Firefox and I still get the same problems. I have deleted my cache, cookies, history, etc. Are there any suggestions?
Old 02-16-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Based on your post in the other thread it sounds like you're puting the code in the correct location... but make sure you don't have *any* extra spaces in the code. If you're doing a copy/paste operation be sure there are no leading/trailing spaces. This will "break" the code. Sometimes I've found typing it by hand to be the most foolproof method. For your cookies, make sure you log out of CH *before* you clear them. You can do just the CH cookies in FF by putting columbia in the search field and deleting any cookie that comes up. Once deleted, close the "Cookies" and "Options" dialogs, reopen and search again to be absolutely sure the cookies are gone. I've had them "re appear" if I did not close the dialogs correctly by using the "Close" buttons. Then log back in and try again. You might also check the version of Java you have installed. Since this is a Java app that does the codes it might be sensitive or problematic if you have an older version on your machine.
Old 02-16-09, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info, it is still not working. I have the most up to date Java too. I just want to confirm, are the codes on this group for columbiahouse.ca or are they for the usa. That could be my problem.
Old 02-16-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^All the codes posted in these threads work in the USA. It's possible the codes don't work for Canada, yeah.
Old 02-17-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^Last I heard, there is no overlap between the USA and Canadian Columbia House clubs. Everything from enrollment to sales offers is different. There used to be some Canadians who kept a thread or two going here about the unique details of CH Canada. Don't know if they still monitor this forum, but you might start a "CH Canada" thread and ask.
Old 06-10-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

Where are the codes entered nowaday.I haven't used any in some time. At the checkout section there is the "coupon code" block where you can enter some codes. I used that a few months ago but it only worked on the old codes 801888 or one like that. But it didn't work on the the 14 digit codes. Are the 14 digit codes supposed to be entered somewhere else? I know there used to be the section when you click on the offer at the main page that and it said "looking for an offer in your mailing" and you could enter one there, but that does not come up anymore. What am i missing?
Old 06-10-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Directly in the cart. There's a box for it bottom left under your selections.