Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please recommend some PC games...

So I built a new rig:

Q9550 CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1 GB
4 gb RAM
Vista 64
etc...

So now, since I've been out of PC games for quite awhile, please recommend some. I currently play, with stars, as I see it, out of five:

Crysis (original) *** - I haven't bought the expansion, but enjoy the original. Have not played it online, yet.
Team Fortress 2 **** - A year old or so, but REALLY like playing this one. Haven't played it much lately, though.
City of Heroes **** - (Don't laugh) I just bought this for the free month, and I like it. But it doesn't seem too easy to get a group, and I'm still a bit lost on how some things work. Still, it's really fun.
Everquest ***** - (PLEASE don't laugh!) I have been playing this off and on since 2001. I still get a lot of enjoyment from the game, and there's NO leetspeeking teens. I love how this game is more about the journey than instant gratification of something like WoW.

Here's a couple of games I'm considering:

Fallout 3 - Is it just shooting/blowing stuff up?
Far Cry 2 - Is it just shooting/blowing stuff up?
Warhammer Online - One thing I don't like about WoW is the "cartoony" look of it, which is ironic, considering I really like City of Heroes. But I don't think I could get past the community in WoW, either. Is Warhammer different? Is it worth the 50 clams?
Age of Conan - I WANT this to be good. I want it to be fantastic! But from what I'm hearing, it's not.
Call of Duty (or similar) - I like games like these alot, but have no idea which to buy (if any), or if there's plans for any new ones I should wait for.

Games I'm NOT considering:
WoW - I guess I'm just stubborn.
Sports games - Although I like online Soccer games, other sporting games are best left to consoles with friends/family, IMO.

In any event, I'd sure love some feedback!
Old 10-31-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fallout 3 is not much of a shooter, its more of an RPG/Adventure/Action game, very good worth buying

Witcher enhanced version is worth getting too

Spore, Red Alert 3
Old 10-31-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Maingon. I was just watching the preview to Witcher, just before I saw your post.

One other thing I should mention: I do enjoy horror games, as well.
Old 10-31-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second Fallout 3 and The Witcher. Both are excellent RPG's.

If you like horror:
Dead Space - I played it on 360, but it's out for PC. It's pretty creepy and fun. Great sound and atmosphere.
Bioshock - It isn't really a horror game, but it can be creepy. Awesome atmosphere.

FPS:
FarCry 2: It's pretty good. Big open world, with lots of things to blow up.
Call of Duty 4 - Short, but good single player game. Good multiplayer
Stalker - Dark, open world game set around Chernobyl.
Crysis: Warhead - If you like Crysis, you'll like the expansion.

RTS:
Company of Heroes - one of the best RTS games I've played in the last few years.
Medieval 2:Total War - if you want a deeper strategy game with a big Risk-style campaign.

I also just realized that, except for Dead Space, all these games are available on Steam, if you want to get them that way.
Old 10-31-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Ghym summed up many of my reccomendations. It's hard to come up with recommendations because you didn't list what you liked or didn't like about some games.

What did you like and not like about Crysis. Did you like the open world stuff (1st half of the game) or the more scripted second half. If you liked the open world, you would probably enjoy Far Cry 2 (and the original) and Stalker, both of which I haven't played. If you liked the more scripted stuff you should check out COD4.

You mentioned Team Fortress 2, but have you played through the rest of the Orange Box? Half Life 2 and the Episodes are some of the best FPS's around. And Portal must be played regardless of what genres you like. Also if you liked Team Fortress 2 and horror games, you'll probably like Valves next multiplayer game, Left 4 Dead, which is a cooperative multiplayer Zombie game.

Also you should try out Condemned for another horror game.

I played Age of Conan, I didn't stick with it. I'm looking forward to trying Warhammer Online. It looks like you enjoy more PVE centered MMO's, I like the group PVP in games like Dark Age of Camelot, and it looks like Warhammer expands on this.

Last edited by msdmoney; 10-31-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good recommendation there, Ghym.

Since I haven't play much PC games, but Call of Duty 4 (that I played on 360) seems worthy pick up.

The newest Call of Duty called Call of Duty: World at War should be release pretty soon.
Old 11-01-08, 04:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you like RTSs I second Company of Heroes as well as recommend the Warhammer Dawn of War series.
Old 11-03-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I bought Warhammer AoR and loaded it up. However, for those of you who have it, why doesn't it put an icon on my desktop or in my Start -> All Programs? weird...

In any event, I like the look of it, I like the RvR stuff - was pretty fun. But I have to say, it's a bit thin, so far (granted, only to level 6). I just feel like there's not a lot of depth to this, and I'm starting to wonder if I've just bought Diablo 2.5. Well, maybe mix a little of Team Fortress with the RvR play. I'm not disappointed, yet. I want to give it more time. It looks good, but I want my MMORPG's to be DEEP and RICH. The graphics are nice, but secondary to me.

For all the suggestions, thank you! I'm really REALLY looking forward to Left 4 Dead. I will look for demos of some of the other suggestions. I'm tempted to buy FarCry 2 and/or Fallout 3, or maybe the new Call of Duty.

The funny thing about Half-Life 2: I bought my son (who was, at the time about 12) Half-Life for Christmas when it came out in (1998?). I quickly took over his computer for the next couple of weeks to beat the game, and then became addicted to online play and TFC. But I never once played HL2. So no, I haven't played it. But I've loved playing TF2 - just haven't, lately.

Finally, just out of curiosity, if I wanted to GIVE my son Warhammer, could he install it and play it on his computer? If I decide not to stick with it, I'd remove it from mine as I may abandon it after another week or two if the excitement level doesn't pick up.
Old 11-03-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Anything with the words "Half" and "Life" in the title. Or, "Portal" which is an excellent spinoff from the series. It's very short, but could be the most fun you've ever spent staying up late playing a game.
Old 11-03-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

as someone mentioned Bioshock is a must buy, I forgot to mention that game, one of the best games I ever played. best atmosphere in a game, awesome world to explore, very detailed. great story and characters.
Old 11-03-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by modfather
Well, I bought Warhammer AoR and loaded it up. However, for those of you who have it, why doesn't it put an icon on my desktop or in my Start -> All Programs? weird...
Games that are under the "Games for Windows" brand seem to have stopped creating new start menu folders and just putting all the shortcuts in the Games Explorer (the games link when you hit the "start" button)

I highly recommend Fallout 3. Looks and runs great on my Core 2 Duo and 8800GT, so it should be fantastic for you.

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-03-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by modfather
Finally, just out of curiosity, if I wanted to GIVE my son Warhammer, could he install it and play it on his computer? If I decide not to stick with it, I'd remove it from mine as I may abandon it after another week or two if the excitement level doesn't pick up.
It's been a while since I played an MMO. I haven't played Warhammer, but I assume it works like the rest. You can install the game on however many PCs you want, but he'll have to use your login account to play. They usually tie your account to a CD key or something. So, he could play, but not create a new account unless he bought his own copy.

Edit:
Oh, and it's a crime to not have played HL2. I've got an extra copy of that and Episode one, from buying Orange box. If you want, I can gift them to you, through Steam, since everyone else I know has them.

Last edited by Ghym; 11-03-08 at 01:11 PM.