The Legend of the Seeker

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Legend of the Seeker

Old 10-28-08, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Legend of the Seeker

its airing this weekend.
http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1691028013" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1685994697&playerId=1691028013&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="322" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

'Legend of Seeker' puts Sam Raimi back in 'Xena,' 'Hercules' mode
By Jennifer Thomason October 16, 2008 2:30 PM

Turning a high camp syndicated weekend show into a dedicated cult fan favorite is a tricky business, but nobody does it better than Sam Raimi. Who could have known "Xena" (and Lucy Lawless) would become legends? And now Raimi is getting back in the business with "Legend of the Seeker."

The hour-long series airs Nov. 1, but Lucy Lawless will host a special preview show, "The Making of the Legend," Oct. 18 that will include the first 10 minutes of the premiere. You can check the show's Web site to find out when and where it's airing locally. The preview takes viewers to the show's home in New Zealand to meet the stars of the fantasy series. Exec producers, Sam Raimi and and Rob Tapert, the team behind "Xena: Warrior Princess" and "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys," also will be interviewed.

"Legend of the Seeker" is based on the works of author Terry Goodkind, and follows the story of woodsman Richard Cypher (Craig Horner) and a beautiful and mysterious woman named Kahlan Amnell (Bridget Regan). When Richard discovers that he has powers from within, he is transformed into a magical leader to stop a sinister tyrant, Darken Rahl (Craig Parker). Kahlan serves as his protective guide, sworn to keep him safe from all harm. Zedd (Bruce Spence), a wise and powerful old wizard, accompanies Richard and Kahlan on their epic journey.

The cast is mostly unknowns, but then again, who knew Lucy Lawless or Kevin Sorbo or Emilie de Ravin, who plays Claire on "Lost," but who started playing a nature demon on "BeastMaster." And Ted Raimi will appear in at least two episodes -- he was my dork crush when he played Joxer on "Xena." (And fingers crossed that Bruce Campbell pops up.)

As someone who grew up without cable, these ridiculous, but ridiculously entertaining, shows and ones like "Beastmaster," "Mutant X" and "The Lost World" saved me from some serious boredom on some Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

The 22-episode series by Disney-ABC will appear in 95 percent of the U.S. market. In Chicago, for example, it will air at 4 p.m. Saturdays on WGN.

So are you glad Raimi and Tapert are returning to producing syndicated shows? Or think this one will probably deserve the axe?

http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/entert..._sam_raim.html

to check your local listing
http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/loc...s_special.html
Old 10-28-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it can capture the combination of cheese, humor, and action from the early years of Hercules and Xena, I'm in.

But, with all the other TV I have to watch, the pilot will have to grab me because I won't stick around much after that.
Old 10-28-08, 06:52 PM

Saw the preview. Looks kind of boring to me to be honest. But I'd like to see the genre make a come back so I'll watch at least the first few episodes and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Chew
If it can capture the combination of cheese, humor, and action from the early years of Hercules and Xena, I'm in.

But, with all the other TV I have to watch, the pilot will have to grab me because I won't stick around much after that.
Actually, as far as Hercules the Legendary Journeys is concerned, was a lot more serious in the earlier production (the five two hour telemovies and most of the first season). It became a little sillier after that. Xena: Warrior Princess was inconsistent. One episode will be campy filler, and then the next will be a well written acted storyline episode.
Old 10-28-08, 08:32 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Is this in the same vein of the failed movie franchise?
Old 10-28-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Is this in the same vein of the failed movie franchise?
I thought of the same thing too...but is this something different? Or does this pick up where that left off (I haven't seen it)?
Old 10-28-08, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
What was the movie(s) based on this book? My GF is looking forward to this show.
Old 10-28-08, 10:16 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
What was the movie(s) based on this book? My GF is looking forward to this show.
The movie that I am thinking of it "The Seeker: The Dark is Rising" which is based on the novel "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

They have nothing to do with each other.

"The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper:

When Will Stanton, a boy in his teens, starts getting weird feelings he soon realises that he is The Seeker, defender of Light from the Dark and their messenger The Rider. Will must travel through time to acquire the six signs that when put together they will give the Light all the power it needs but if this weapon falls into the hands of The Rider, the Dark will be the master of everything Will knows and holds dear to him.
Old 10-30-08, 02:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's actually based on the "sword of Truth" novels by Terry Goodkind. The first four novels are great but it started to go downhill after that. Still looking forward to it.
Old 10-30-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Legend of the Seeker: A First Look is now available for free on iTunes.
Old 10-30-08, 07:07 PM

My guide shows two episodes airing on Saturday.

However it shows as episdoes 2 and 5.

I'm hoping the guide is incorrect.
Old 10-31-08, 05:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
this is premiering on Sunday, 12:05 AM in my area. hardly a good sign.
Old 10-31-08, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm recording it. If it turns out halfway decent, I'll keep it on for Saturdays.
Old 10-31-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have Directv, WGN has two episodes (Prophecy and Destiny) airing back-to-back tomorrow from 5-7 pm ET.
Old 11-01-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Airs today! Cant wait, got my VCR set to record already!

I have 5-7pm C
Old 11-02-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in NYC, CH 11 showed the first two episodes Saturday 8-10PM - I watched the first hour, and it's ok. I'll probably stick with it for a while and see how it goes.
Old 11-02-08, 09:31 AM

I liked it, the cinematography was movie quality at times, such as the long shot horseback scenes, and I enjoyed how the chick slashed dudes in the throat with her dagger during the fight scenes, lol.
Old 11-02-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was an excellent start to the series. Love the New Zealand scenery and thought the scenes were put together well. The characters are close to how I imagined them (Richard could have been a little bigger, but the actor's ability to pull it off is what counts in the end). It had been so long since I read the first book in the series that some of the scenes refreshed my memory about what had happened way back then. Of course, there have been some changes in converting it to televsion, but I think it stuck pretty close to the author's original intent.

I'm curious as to how they will handle some of the characters/actions yet to come... like the Mord Sith...

Anyway... it was a very good start and I'm thoroughly looking forward to the rest of the season. I hope it has a good run like Herc and Xena.
Old 11-03-08, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was surprised by how entertained I was. The show exceeded my low expectations I had going in. Decent special effects and half decent acting. The story seems a bit cliché though.
Not bad for a swords & sorcery show on Saturday evenings.
Old 11-03-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nth Power
The story seems a bit cliché though.
Replace "a bit" with "extremely".

I still enjoyed it though and will watch next week.

How many people actually got this in HD? Only one of my local affiliates can handle retransmission of HD signals (all can handle network passthrough) and this show wasn't on that channel.
Old 11-03-08, 08:25 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
This show is getting NO love here in the 'burbs of Boston. I've tried now TWICE to record the pilot episodes... both did not record completely due to the news going over... even when I padded it for 5 minutes. It's being shown at 12:05AM on Sunday nights/Monday mornings here... ridiculous. I'm out.
Old 11-03-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
I thought this was decent enough, though they made some odd changes to the book. Changes that actually made the story harder to follow.

I'm really curious how closely they will stick to the source material. Without spoiling anything, some BIG things happen. Richard goes through some monumental changes. If the shows follows his journey at all, I think it would be damn near unprecedented for series television.

And Kahlan was hot. Though it was weird hearing her name pronounced "KAA-len". I've always said "KAH-len" in my head.
Old 11-03-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe this was actually fairly good. I consider the Sword of Truth books to be fairly mediocre fantasy and Goodkind a bit of a hack who obviously never intended the book series to last as long as it did (he caught Robert Jordan disease who in turn was channeling the spirit of David Eddings). All in all they pulled it off beyond my expectations.
Old 11-04-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Loved the show! My new favorite show. Im a huge Hercules fan and caught right off the bat that his dad was Jason (of the Argonauts) and the buddy Chase was Draco from Xena. Plus the main baddy is Haldir from Lord of the Rings. I than looked up the rest of the cast and Zed is the Mouth of Sauron.

Fucking awesome. I loved this show. I cant wait to see what happens next and which former Herc/Xena/LotR cast will show up!
Old 11-04-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by leeta
If you have Directv, WGN has two episodes (Prophecy and Destiny) airing back-to-back tomorrow from 5-7 pm ET.
I recorded both of them and on each episode it was something that was not even the show.
Old 11-04-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I recorded both of them and on each episode it was something that was not even the show.
Weird... I recorded both and got the first two eps of the show.

I am assuming you recorded from 2-4 pm since you're in Cali...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.