View Single Post
Old 09-25-08, 08:35 AM   #52
Jediturtle

In just for the fun of it again this year. Now that we have a baby my list will undoubtedly be even smaller than it has been, but what the heck. Goal will again be 31, but not holding my breath!

Last year's total was 40 (goal was 31):
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8182034-post115.html

2006 total was 31 (hit my goal):
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/7333911-post97.html

October 1:
1) Nosferatu (1922) - Ultimate Edition DVD ****
Kicked off this year with my first viewing of this wonderful restoration of the classic of all classics. Amazing how truly terrifying parts of this movie are. One scene that keeps sticking in my head is when Orlok is standing in a row boat carrying the coffin. Some truly chilling moments here.

October 2:
2) The Ghost Ship (1943) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD **** (new to me)
Wow...this was a great movie! Better than expected even though I really enjoyed the few other Lewton pictures I've see so far. The knife fight scene was surprisingly "gory", especially the part where he caught the blade with his hand and held on...ouch! Bonus points for the crushing death by giant chain.

October 5:
3) The Leopard Man (1943) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD *** (new to me)
I wasn't in love with this one quite as much as The Ghost Ship, but still a nicely shot, atmospheric movie with a few memorable moments. The blood slowly spreading under the door was nice. Also when the daughter was on her way home from the grocery, the way the darkness was portrayed truly was frightening and made you feel what she felt. The castanets got extremely annoying after a while though. "...I could do better with my teeth in a cold shower.." nice!

4) Dracula (1931) - The Legacy Collection DVD ****
Another one of the ultimate "classic" horror movies. Is there a creeper guy than Bela Lugosi?

October 6:
5) The Body Snatcher (1945) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD ***1/2 (new to me)
Another great Lewton classic. I'm really enjoying the heck out of this collection. Many creepy moments here. Karloff is one creepy guy even without the Frankenstein make-up! His scene with Lugosi was a nice treat.

So I'm a little behind, but I'm loving the fact that I haven't watched anything newer than the mid-40s yet. They sure don't make them like they used to!

October 9:
6) The 7th Victim (1943) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD *** (new to me)
Not bad, but not great compared to some of Lewton's other work. I was admittidly a bit distracted while watching this though (a 9 month old will do that!), so I really need to watch this one again to really soak it in. I have a feeling it is better than I thought it was and I missed a lot.

October 11:
7) The Evil Dead (1981) - Book of the Dead DVD ****
Finally going with something a little newer! This movie still amazes me with how much was done with so little. A great combination of truly intense scenes and full on cheese...the perfect balance.

8) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Ultimate Edition DVD *****
I've said it before and I'll say it again as it's all that really needs to be said...TCM is the definition of horror.

9) The Fog (1980) - DVD ****1/2
One of my all time favorites. Not sure what it is exactly, but I love this movie.

10) The Hitcher (1986) - DVD ***1/2
More great 80s horror. Some very tense scenes here.

October 12:
11) I Walked With a Zombie (1943) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD ****
Very good, very creepy movie. Atmospheric and amazingly shot. There's a lot to love here. The guy that guards the path to the voodoo site is terribly creepy...the scene where we first see him sends chills down my spine.

12) Dead Silence (2007) - HD-DVD ***1/2
This movie gets a bad reputation. It is much better than most reviews would lead you to believe. Yea...there is some bad dialog and moments where you have to turn off your brain, but these are balanced out with some very scary moments. It has a good atmosphere and some great camera work. Plus, who isn't creeped out by those damn dolls. The first time the eyes move...that's creepy...I don't care who you are. The twist at the end is a bit hokey, but also kind of cool as long as you aren't taking the movie too seriously.

October 14:
13) Cat People (1942) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD ****
Another awesome Lewton classic. Great movie all around.

October 16:
14) Shadows in the Dark, The Val Lewton Legacy (2005) - The Val Lewton Horror Collection DVD *** (new to me)
Very nice documentary, if a bit too brief. Lots of good information, and great interviews with other horror greats.

October 17:
15) Suspiria (1977) - Limited Edition DVD *****
I love this movie. The colors, textures, soundtrack, cinematography, and beautiful sets come together to create the perfect nightmare captured on film. I can't wait until the day this is released on Blu Ray....drool....

October 18:
16) Friday the 13th: The Series: The Inheritance (pilot) (1987) - The First Season DVD **** (WILDCARD 1)
One of my all time favorite shows growing up, finally on DVD! While the acting is choppy as they are clearly not yet comfortable in their roles, this holds up remarkably well. I can't believe this is over 20 years old now!

October 19:
17) American Psycho (2000) - Uncut Killer Collector's Edition DVD **** (new to me)
Can't believe I have never seen this movie before. Much like the first time I watched Fight Club, this movie was NOTHING like what I imagined or assumed it would be. What a great, twisted, hilarious, nasty little movie. Bateman...Batman...coincidence? I love that so much is left unanswered...great mind screw.

October 21:
18) The Ruins (2008) - Blu-Ray **** (new to me)
I had low expectations after reading some bad reviews, and this blew them away. Lots of tension and a real feeling of dread and hopelessness. The scene where they were looking for the cell phone was truly terrifying!

October 24:
19) The Happening (2008) - Blu-Ray ***1/2 (new to me)
I might take some flack for this, but honestly I think this is getting a bad rap. I was very entertained by it and though it was actually one of M's better movies. My only real complaint was some of the writing was bad (then again I love Argento...and we know how great his writing is), and the acting from the two leads was pretty wooden. I know they are both better actors than that, so I'm guessing that is what M wanted, but I'm not sure why. Looking past that though, it had a great premise, some good tension (wind blowing across the fields, etc), and some awesome kills. The imagery of the people running off of the roof was great. Not a bad movie at all, so if you are on the fence, give it a shot. My expectations were extremely low, and I was pleasantly surprised. The Blu-Ray quality was awesome as well. I will add this to my collection.

October 25:
20) Joy Ride 2: Dead Ahead (2008) - DVD **1/2 (new to me)
Ugg. We loved the first one, but this one is missing almost everything that made that one great. There were some funny bits, and a couple good moments, but it really wasn't all that great. Still worth a watch, but don't expect too much from it.

October 27:
21) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Infinifilm DVD *****
One of my all time favorites, this one never loses it's power over me. A bit dated in places, but that does not hurt it in my eyes. Still some truly scary moments. This one is like comfort food for me. Excellent Infinifilm DVD...but I still can't wait for a US version of the Blu-ray. Hopefully it will be a nice special edition with the works too.

22) Scream (1996) - DVD *****
Another all time favorite of mine. This movie reminded me how much I love horror movies and brought me back to the genre after a couple years. Started the whole self-aware sub-genre and gave horror a much needed shot in the arm when it was released. It never did get the great DVD that it deserved (can't believe we couldn't even get a bare bones but anamorphic release!), so the Blu-ray will be welcomed with open arms, hopefully soon!

October 30:
23) The Gravedancers (2006) - DVD ***1/2 (new to me)
We've enjoyed all of the first year 8 Films to Die For movies so far, and this one wasn't an exception. Only problem as mentioned by others is the overblown CGI ending. If they would have spread the money they spent on that around a little to improve the FX through the rest of the movie, it would have been better spent. As-is though, this was a very enjoyable movie.

October 31:
24) Halloween (1978) - BluRay *****
First time seeing this classic in high-def, and wow! Awesome all around. Very 3D look to the film in many places. Nothing more can be said about the movie itself...this is why I love this time of year!

Last edited by Jediturtle; 11-03-08 at 09:37 AM.