Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

LiveMetallica recommendations please?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-15-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m looking to buy some shows off the LiveMetallica site but the problem is there are so many so I don’t know what are the best shows to get. I tried searching for some reviews online but I couldn’t find anything that fits my purpose.

Is the all time top 10 most downloaded shows list on the site a good indicator?
Old 09-15-08, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the first LA Forum show on the 'madly in anger' tour is a good start, as it has the first ever live rendition of 'dyer's eve'
Old 09-15-08, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the shows in the top ten list are special for one reason or another. I would take a look at the individual pages for each show and read the notes. It should give you a good idea of why that show is in the top 10. For example Lars was missing from the show in the #1 spot, they had some drummers fill in for him. If your like the new album they play 2 songs from it on the last 2 shows posted. If you don't like the stuff from St. Anger stay away from the stuff from the 2004 tour. The crowds from Europe tend to be more alive compared to the crowds from the states. My favorite so far is probably Rock in Rio from this year.
Old 09-15-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best one to get (if you can't find it anywhere else) is the Donnington festival 6/6/04. Lars no showed because he had a major anxiety attack when his wife left him and they had a bunch of guest drummers including Dave Lombardo from Slayer and a guy from Slipknot.

The Dallas show from last month was good because they played "Cyanide" and had King Diamond sing the Fate medley.

The next one I want is the one from last Friday, where they played 5 songs from "Death Magnetic".

There's also a show where a friend of a friend who was/is a roadie and has seen Metallica hundreds of times said it was their best show of all time. I want to say it was Chicago, but don't know the year and if I'm really sure about that. I'll have to ask him again...

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 09-15-08 at 10:42 PM.