Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is my Denon receiver worth fixing? ...time to upgrade?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I have a Denon AVR-3300 5.1 channel receiver that I bought back in 2001 for $800 (it was a store demo.) This past week, I noticed that when I change the input source, whether by dial or by remote (for both dvd and directv satellite), it no longer "clicked" to begin picking up the audio signal. There is only silence. I have checked all of my connections and settings to no avail. Here are my questions:

1) assuming it is broken, is it even worth fixing? ...it already made a high pitch noise once in a while when in use that a repair shop couldn't replicate/find and thus fix. I suppose I could donate it to a repair shop for parts or sell it as is. Perhaps someone who is electronics savvy would be interested in it.

2) if the answer to question #1 is no, I'll have to upgrade my receiver. I currently use an HD-A1 for dvd/hd-dvd and may go blu ray later this year once prices go down further. My speakers are Klipsch Reference Series that I like very much. My display is a Toshiba 65H80 rptv that doesn't have hdmi unfortunately. It still works flawlessly, so I'm having a hard time justifying replacing it. Just moving the RPTV out of the house, if I were to sell it, would take two piano dollies! I'm interested in both the Onkyo 606 and 705 (which are both in my price point), but may consider other receiver models. What would you suggest? Thanks for your input as it seems some home theater upgrades are upon me!

Last edited by tofferman; 09-05-08 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 02:47 PM
Suspended

With these type of electronics, I almost always recommend upgrading vs repairing....
Old 09-05-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
With these type of electronics, I almost always recommend upgrading vs repairing....
I'm leaning in that direction. Nowadays, electronics are considered "throwaway" items (even an $800+ Denon receiver...though it is almost 8 years old.) Which of the Onkyo models would you recommend? The 606 and 705 look nice, but I don't have a place to hear them here locally.

Since I only can run component for video to my rptv, it would appear that I would keep it that way with a new receiver. Is that correct? Of course, with a new receiver, at worst I can take advantage of the new audio codecs with both hd-dvd and blu ray.