Reload this Page >

New MythBusters season set coming

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-24-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Another MythBusters season set is coming out only at Discovery's store. As per usual, their season numbering doesn't match up exactly, as it's called a season five set, and while it includes season five, it also includes a handful of season six episodes. The only oddity is that it's missing two season five episodes, Big Rig Myths and Supersized Myths. The Supersized Myths I kind of understand, because it was a special episode, and the season sets have previously not included specials, but the Big Rig Myths was a regular episode. Although, if you notice, the list on the page has 30 episodes, while it says it includes 31 episodes, so I wouldn't be too surprised if Big Rig Myths was actually on there.

The one down side to this set is that it now makes the Season 5, Part 1 (aka Episodes 70-74) and Season 5, Part 2 (aka Episodes 75-79) sets obsolete. In summary, here's the MythBusters sets you need:
Pilots; Season One; Season 3 (includes season two and part of season three); Season 4 (includes rest of season three and all of season four); Season 5 (includes season five and part of season six)
And here are the sets you DO NOT need, as their episodes are duplicated above:
Season One, Volume Two; Season 5, Part 1 aka Episodes 70-74; Season 5, Part 2 aka Episodes 75-79

That will get you everything but a few specials, of which Buster Special, Jaws Special, Shop Til You Drop, MythBusters Revealed, Hollywood on Trial and Mega Movie Myths are available individually.
For the record, Shop til You Drop, MythBusters Revealed and Hollywood on Trial are on Collection 1, and that's the only content of the three collections that isn't available on the season sets.
Old 08-24-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My brain hurts just reading that. Love the show, but damn Discovery needs to do better than this with the DVD releases.
Old 08-24-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Between the Discovery store and the releases in stores that are 'volumes', their entire list of series needs better treatment. Sigh.
Old 08-24-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
My brain hurts just reading that. Love the show, but damn Discovery needs to do better than this with the DVD releases.
How do you think my brain felt while compiling it? :P
But yea, Discovery is all kinds of stupid when it comes to releasing some of their shows on DVD. And it doesn't help that they don't always have their seasons clearly defined to start with!
Old 08-24-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Agreed 100%.
Old 08-24-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joltman
How do you think my brain felt while compiling it? :P
But yea, Discovery is all kinds of stupid when it comes to releasing some of their shows on DVD. And it doesn't help that they don't always have their seasons clearly defined to start with!
I appreciate you sorting it out. It would suck to end up with a bunch of duplicate episodes.
Old 08-25-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are these episodes in 16:9? I got Seasons 3+4 recently and only one disc was 16:9 - the rest were matted 4:3.

I posted something up on the Mythbusters board, and someone said "Well, they didn't have the ability to shoot 16:9 up to a certain point." Odd, because the sets are advertised as being 16:9!
Old 08-25-08, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Between the Discovery store and the releases in stores that are 'volumes', their entire list of series needs better treatment. Sigh.
Yep. I gave up on trying to decipher it all and just started saving them via Tivo Sure it's not quite as nice as dedicated sets/DVDs, but it seems easier than trying to figure out what Discovery is doing w/ them.
Old 08-25-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks OP. I love this show and its certainly rewatchable. I'd been hesitating to get any because of the confusion. Maybe this will motivate me to jump.
Old 04-11-11, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: New MythBusters season set coming

Apparently, the issue of the season 3 DVD set containing all of the contents of the season 2 DVD set has been changed.

It now says that the season 2 DVD set includes:
http://store.discovery.com/mythbuste...ers_dvds-books

MythBusters: Season 2 DVD Set

Follow the MythBusters in this 11-episode, 4-DVD set as they debunk, decode and demystify some of the most popular urban myths and legends. Using modern-day science, they put each myth to the test, separating the real from the really out there.

Episodes Include:

* Myths Revisited
* Scuba Diver
* Ancient Death Ray
* Elevator of Death
* Beat the Radar Detector
* Quicksand
* Exploding Jawbreaker
* Ping Pong Rescue
* Boom-Lift Catapult
* Exploding House
* Ming Dynasty Astronaut
And it says that the season 3 DVD set includes:

http://store.discovery.com/mythbuste...ers_dvds-books

MythBusters: Season 3 DVD Set

DISCOVERY EXCLUSIVE!

Follow the Mythbusters in this 15-episode, 3-disc DVD set as they debunk, decode and demystify some of the most popular urban myths and legends. Using modern-day science, they put each myth to the test – from breaking glass to exploding port-a-potties – separating the real from the really out there.

Episodes include:

* Brown Note
* Salsa Escape
* Exploding Port-a-Potty
* Is Yawning Contagious?
* Cooling a Six-Pack
* Son of a Gun
* Breaking Glass
* Jet Pack
* Killer Brace Position
* Bulletproof Water
* Border Slingshot
* Killer Tissue Box
* Escape slide-Parachute
* Mythbusters Revisited
* Chinese Invasion Alarm
Old 04-15-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Wow, what a clusterfuck of releases. Netflix FTW.
Old 04-15-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll definitely pass on this series.
Old 04-24-11, 09:03 AM

I like this show a lot. However, I know that a great portion (most of?) the show is shot in high def. I'm more into supporting blu-ray releases of shows that are shot in high def, rather than sd. Once Discovery makes this change, I'll start buying.