Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy the Animated Series - What could have been...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-04-08, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

After years of waiting the 3 minute "presentation" clip for the Buffy Animated Series finally made its way onto YouTube. In the series the Scooby Gang were still in high school, however Dawn would have been present (using that alternate time line from Season 5). Everyone would have lent their voices (with the exception of SMG, who would be voiced by the same gal who did both Buffy videogames).

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/arch...what_coul.html

I have no idea how to embed a YouTube video.
Old 08-04-08, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/arch...what_coul.html

I have no idea how to embed a YouTube video.
Like this:

(Use "yt" and "/yt" tags around the ID of the video)
Old 08-04-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol... The harder they what?

Not too bad for a pilot/promo thingie. That could have been fun.
Old 08-04-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I'm not sure if I even want to watch this. I was so excited about it when Buffy left the airwaves and then came its slow and agonizing demise.

Maybe this will get some massively huge YouTube numbers, enough to get some big wigs interested in pursuing something like this again. I know Hanngian has HIMYM now, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind the quick paycheck to do some voice acting.
Old 08-04-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm not sure if I even want to watch this. I was so excited about it when Buffy left the airwaves and then came its slow and agonizing demise.

Maybe this will get some massively huge YouTube numbers, enough to get some big wigs interested in pursuing something like this again. I know Hanngian has HIMYM now, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind the quick paycheck to do some voice acting.
From the YouTube video, it feels as though the writing is more a return to form for the show. The high school was always the focal point (for me) of the series, and, once they left for college and bartending jobs, the series began to fall apart slightly.

I think the animated series could have been a wonderful addition to the universe set up.
Old 08-04-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts
Not bad. Xander sounded different to me.
Old 08-04-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
I like the concept, but some of the animation had too much of a CG/drifting thing going on. It did have the old Buffy feel, which is good. Some of the lines and acting did feel forced and stiff for me. Maybe they just weren't used to voice acting. I know they were certainly comfortable in their roles on Buffy, so I imagine it was something else. Also, the lady who does Buffy's voice isn't too bad. Certainly not Gellar, but not bad either. Sesh, has it been 5 years already?
Old 08-04-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superman07
I like the concept, but some of the animation had too much of a CG/drifting thing going on. It did have the old Buffy feel, which is good. Some of the lines and acting did feel forced and stiff for me. Maybe they just weren't used to voice acting. I know they were certainly comfortable in their roles on Buffy, so I imagine it was something else. Also, the lady who does Buffy's voice isn't too bad. Certainly not Gellar, but not bad either. Sesh, has it been 5 years already?
Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but the woman who does the Buffy voice I always thought did a really good job on the Buffy video games for the Xbox as well. She certainly was much better than the Willow replacement on the second game.
Old 08-04-08, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superman07
The clip was made just to show how they wanted to show to be...it probably would have been much tighter in the CGI etc. Its not even pilot, its a simple presentation. I was pretty impressed with it though.
Old 08-04-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The characters don't feel right -- Willow being concerned that Buffy fought a -- singular -- vampire, Xander cracking a joke right after buffy gets swallowed by a dragon, Xander and Willow being invited to a party.
Old 08-05-08, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

not bad. when was this made?

i'm just begining season 6, so far its not as bad or terrible as you all have made it out to be (finished disc 1 last night. Season 5 started a bit slow, but really picked up at the end. The Body was a little strange at first, but i really liked on how differernt it was, prob would be in my top 5 fave episodes/
Old 08-05-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525

i'm just begining season 6, so far its not as bad or terrible as you all have made it out to be (finished disc 1 last night. Season 5 started a bit slow, but really picked up at the end. The Body was a little strange at first, but i really liked on how differernt it was, prob would be in my top 5 fave episodes/
Believe it was made around 2005.

To be honest, I haven't seen any of the seasons (less 1-3) since they aired. I'd have to go back and watch them. It's possible I'd have a different appreciation/perspective on them now.
Old 08-05-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, i didn't really care too much for season 4. i was actually glad when Reilly went away.
Old 08-05-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have very mixed feelings about season 4. When it was good, it was unbelievably good. When it wasn't ... well, Beer Bad! But it did feel wildly inconsistent and unfocused, just like my first year in college.

As for season 6, I was completely with the season until Tabula Rosa. Then it just started disappointing me and not going anywhere. You might really like it, though. As hated as it is among many, there is a small but vocal contingent that say it's their favorite season. It's certainly a much different season.
Old 08-05-08, 09:46 AM
Suspended

2005 is what Ive heard. It would have taken place in Season 2/3.
Old 08-05-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The characters don't feel right -- Willow being concerned that Buffy fought a -- singular -- vampire, Xander cracking a joke right after buffy gets swallowed by a dragon, Xander and Willow being invited to a party.
As has been noted, it was simply a presentation for networks to convey the look and tone. It's less then 4 minutes, so they had to cram a lot into a little space, so some things were compromised.

This would have made a really nice addition to the Buffy-verse. I still think they could probably do direct-to-DVD sales using this voice actor for Buffy since SMG seems more interested in those horrible Scooby Doo movies.
Old 08-05-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
As has been noted, it was simply a presentation for networks to convey the look and tone. It's less then 4 minutes, so they had to cram a lot into a little space, so some things were compromised.

This would have made a really nice addition to the Buffy-verse. I still think they could probably do direct-to-DVD sales using this voice actor for Buffy since SMG seems more interested in those horrible Scooby Doo movies.
she was great in southland tales. Lets just say her performance is almost a complete 180 from buffy and the scooby doo movies.
Old 08-05-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it. It did feel a little forced in the library, but it was a short promo and I suspect they would've ironed out those issues when it came the making the actual show. Overall it was pretty fun. I did laugh at the "The harder they what?" line.

Probably the best thing about the possibility of an animated series is that they'd be able to do things they wouldn't have been able to in live action. Stuff like having a dragon crash through the library and pick up Buffy.
Old 08-06-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, i didn't really care too much for season 4. i was actually glad when Reilly went away.
I liked him. Named my puppy after him too.

I think a cartoon and mix the Buffy and Angel characters ocassionally would be a great idea. They can do things that they couldn't do with live action.
Old 08-06-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es-Wall-01.jpg

Nice wallpaper of the animated cast, and the likenesses are pretty good.
Because of the obvious "Batman" animated influence, Angel looks like he could be related to the animated Bruce Wayne.
Old 08-06-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
2005 is what Ive heard. It would have taken place in Season 2/3.
Actually, this pilot supposedly follows the 7th episode of season 1, "Angel". On wikipedia, the page for this links this interview mentioning the timeline.