DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is the Blade Runner briefcase ever going out-of-print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/535534-blade-runner-briefcase-ever-going-out-print.html)

Living Deadpan 07-14-08 06:30 AM

Is the Blade Runner briefcase ever going out-of-print?

I swear, last winter I (and many others) thought these would be snatched up by spring. Last week I was at an indie record store and they had 4 or 5 in stock. Most of the online retailers still have them.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-14-08 09:02 AM

It's already OOP but as with Anchor Bay's limited edition tins, will always be found somewhere.

johnglad 07-14-08 11:30 AM

The Blu-Ray version of the briefcase is already commanding out of print prices on Ebay and Amazon. That will be the one years from now that people will pay big money for. The reason is the numbering. About 10X as many dvd versions produced versus Blu-Ray. But even that sets potential is lowered by the fact that the overall briefcase set on any format is the same and you could just buy the $25 Blade runner 5 disc blu-ray which is still in print. Then you have everything.
The dvd version will someday command $80 on Ebay. I could see that. But that isn't any profit on an expensive set to begin with.

Shannon Nutt 07-14-08 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by johnglad
The Blu-Ray version of the briefcase is already commanding out of print prices on Ebay and Amazon. That will be the one years from now that people will pay big money for. The reason is the numbering. About 10X as many dvd versions produced versus Blu-Ray. But even that sets potential is lowered by the fact that the overall briefcase set on any format is the same and you could just buy the $25 Blade runner 5 disc blu-ray which is still in print. Then you have everything.
The dvd version will someday command $80 on Ebay. I could see that. But that isn't any profit on an expensive set to begin with.

And I would guess people need to be very careful when bidding on such Blu-ray briefcases on Ebay...one could essentially buy a DVD briefcase and a Blu-ray 5-disc and "create" their own Blu-ray case - so it's very important to check the outside packaging.

Josh-da-man 07-14-08 02:25 PM

These blew out of all the stores near me the first week or so, and they never restocked them.

Living Deadpan 07-14-08 04:29 PM

Maybe I'll buy another briefcase and use it to store the Caligula box set.

Living Deadpan 07-14-08 04:32 PM

How about a collectible Total Recall shaped like a portable DVD player. Push 'eject' and it says "Get your ass to Mars."

zombeaner 07-14-08 09:19 PM

Well, it is limited to only 103,000 units.

Xytraguptorh 07-16-08 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
And I would guess people need to be very careful when bidding on such Blu-ray briefcases on Ebay...one could essentially buy a DVD briefcase and a Blu-ray 5-disc and "create" their own Blu-ray case - so it's very important to check the outside packaging.

I have the HD-DVD briefcase. The only difference is the 5-disc set, and the BD set is available on its own. I agree, if prices on the BD briefcase got high enough you could just pay the regular price for the DVD or HD-DVD briefcase and buy the BD set separately since they're exactly the same.

soccerstud652 07-16-08 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
How about a collectible Total Recall shaped like a portable DVD player. Push 'eject' and it says "Get your ass to Mars."

I would pay $1000 for that.

They should make one like the briefcase Arnold totes around with all the gizmos and ids in it.