Reload this Page >

Ever Rent a Movie You Already Own? EYE 3 Related

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-07-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this happened to me last week. There is a twist to this story though. I already owned the movie under a slightly different name.

About 4 or so years ago I saw the original Eye movie and loved it. So I sought out other Pang Brothers films and ordered them. Well last week I was excited to see another movie for The Eye series available (The Eye 3) that just came out the week before. So I picked it up and decided to have a little Eye film fest on the weekend. We enjoyed the first two and then yesterday, plugged in the rental (Eye 3). To our dismay, it was a movie I had bought 4 years ago, called The Eye 10. Damnit. Oh well, I hope this at least helps others not make the same mistake I did. Great movies by the way, but the remake of the Eye sucks ballz.
Old 07-07-08, 04:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
yes. because many of my dvd's are still in storage from when i moved. it is easier to rent then having to go to storage facility in another county and find it.
Old 07-07-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done it once or twice. Blockbuster has that 2 older/center DVDs for 99 cents deal and sometimes I have to just grab what catches my eye. A few times it was DVDs I forgot I had.
Old 07-07-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but I have rented Love and Human Remains at least three times, each time not realizing I'd seen it before. (I had some serious problems in the '90s, most of which have been corrected.)
Old 07-07-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Not now, but in the early days of DVD I would rent titles that I already owned on VHS, just to check them out in widescreen + better picture/sound.
Old 07-07-08, 07:03 PM

Fortunately, renting one you already have is not as bad as already owning it. LOL
Old 07-07-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've bought the same version of the same movie more than once and it's always been over a year before I figure it out.

It helped me one time because one copy turned out defective and had long since gone oop and had crazy prices at amazon. Months later I find a new copy.
Old 07-07-08, 11:18 PM

I have rented the DC of Daredevil, dispite owning the thretical version. I have also boughten a movie, and came home to see that it was in my mailbox from Netflix/Blockbuster
Old 07-07-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've done it a few times, but it's usually that I'll rent a movie, and then just end up buying it before viewing the rental. The good thing is, I get free rentals at my job
Old 07-08-08, 03:28 AM

I have.. I was at my parents house and we wanted to watch click.. I knew i had the movie, but i was to lazy to drive home and get it.. the blockbuster was just down the street.
Old 07-08-08, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, i work in a video store and rent for free, and checked out the new zealand release of meet the feebles hoping for an improvement. sadly it was still the same old crappy substance bootleg
Old 07-08-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flicker
Fortunately, renting one you already have is not as bad as already owning it. LOL
Yeah, I've done that. Luckily it was out of the $5 bin at Wal-mart
Old 07-08-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flicker
I did that once. Lucky for me the second copy was such a great deal that I immediately resold it at double what I spent and came out with a small profit. I still felt awfully stupid though.
Old 07-09-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't rent movies, but I have (only once) purchased a title that I already owned - The Rock Criterion Collection. 1/1400 isn't bad, I suppose.
Old 07-09-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole Eye 10->Eye 3 thing is kinda funny, given that there's an actual Eye 3 in the works. Wonder what they'll call that if it ever makes it to the U.S.
Old 07-09-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never rented or bought a DVD I already own. Even at 400+ dvds/BDs I remember each and every one.