Reload this Page >

30 Days - Season 3 - June 3rd, 10pm

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-31-08, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

After a 2 year hiatus, 30 Days returns to the FX Network on June 3rd!

Since the Season 2 DVD never came out (postponed many times), if you missed any of it its being re-aired randomly today and tomorrow.
Old 05-31-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait. Morgan Spurlock's show is always entertaining.
Old 06-01-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I feel like I've been waiting 2 years for this. Oh wait, I have. :P

SO glad it's returning...
Old 06-02-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has always been such an interesting show...I'm in for sure!
Old 06-02-08, 04:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I caught a preview for this on the Fox Movie channel. Looks like another promising season.

According to Wikipedia, here's the topics this time around:
Spoiler:

<thead>

</thead>

Episode No. Topic Original Airdate
301 Working in a Coal Mine June 3, 2008
302 Living in a Wheelchair June 10, 2008
303 Animal Rights June 17, 2008
304 Same Sex Parenting June 24, 2008
305 Gun Nation July 1, 2008
306 Life on an Indian Reservation July 8, 2008

(Sorry about the excessive whitespace -- not sure why that's happening)
Old 06-03-08, 03:57 PM

bump
Old 06-03-08, 07:57 PM

I'm really interested in seeing if he takes a novel approach to 303 and 305 or if it's going to be more bullshit liberal propaganda. At least 301, 302, and 306 should be informative and fairly free of politics.
Old 06-03-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jpb07
I'm really interested in seeing if he takes a novel approach to 303 and 305 or if it's going to be more bullshit liberal propaganda. At least 301, 302, and 306 should be informative and fairly free of politics.
That's bordering on threadcrapping. Might want to watch out.

At any rate, if you think for a second that 302 and 306 are going to be free of politics, congratulations! You've bought into the FoxNews model of political discourse where everything is black vs. white, democrat vs. republican, liberal vs. conservative, and so on. Unfortunately for you, a lot of the subjects covered by this show fall into the dreaded grey area.

Personally, I think this show does a good job at striking a middle-ground on complex issues. Although I consider myself a liberal to the core, I don't really buy into a lot of the arguments of the animal rights movement, nor am I as anti-gun as a lot of my friends, so I'm looking forward to both episodes. When all is said and done, I can only hope that the same-sex parenting episode is as good as the "straight man in a gay world" episode.
Old 06-04-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
So which one's are Spurlock going to be in this time around. The one's he's in are always the best. The minimum wage one is still my favorite episode.
Old 06-04-08, 09:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by jpb07
303:
Spoiler:
"Animal Rights"

This one I saw a little bit on. The subject is a avid hunter who has to become an animal rights protester for 30 days.

By the way, which of the previous episodes of the show have been "bullshit liberal propaganda"?
Old 06-04-08, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
303:
Spoiler:
"Animal Rights"

This one I saw a little bit on. The subject is a avid hunter who has to become an animal rights protester for 30 days.

By the way, which of the previous episodes of the show have been "bullshit liberal propaganda"?
Illegal Immigration was a big one last season. IIRC, Seemed perfectly fair for an illegal immigrant (Hispanic) to be allowed to attend College (for free) while US Citizens could not. Considering I live in California, that episode was a big slap in the face to me. I think it also dealt with them collection welfare illegally. Its been 2 years since it aired so my memory is a bit hazy.
Old 06-05-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I watched the coal-mining episode last night and that was some heartbreaking television. These guys head off to do hard, dangerous work every day in the attempt to provide for their families in a region where there are few other options yet family ties are so close that moving away seems unthinkable. Most of us are generations removed from that sort of life.
Old 06-05-08, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Illegal Immigration was a big one last season. IIRC, Seemed perfectly fair for an illegal immigrant (Hispanic) to be allowed to attend College (for free) while US Citizens could not. Considering I live in California, that episode was a big slap in the face to me. I think it also dealt with them collection welfare illegally. Its been 2 years since it aired so my memory is a bit hazy.
Did we see the same episode? I thought the girl who was a great high school golfer who extremely frustrated and sad that she couldn't get into college or get scholarships even though she was a straight A student because she didn't have a social security number. I remember the episode distinctly because I thought, "Heck, I'll marry her!" since she was so adorable and mature at the same time.

I thought it did a great job since a staunch Minuteman who, at the end of the episode was still opposed to illegal immigration, decided to stop participating in border patrols and focus on lobbying efforts in Washington instead.

He realized he could have been in the exact same situation in Cuba (the family lived in a shanty in Mexico) if his father wasn't a US citizen. The eppy put a face on illegal immigration for this guy who saw the family as his own since the female head reminded him of his own mother.

This season's premiere was also a great episode. I thought it was interesting that a lot of the coal miners still took the job for the "big" pay (I believe $60,000 was referenced) in spite of health risks and outright realization that there were better opportunities out there if they decided to go to university.

I also agree with FatTony's very last comment!
Old 06-07-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Was that his penis he was scrubbing in the shower? I didn't feel like rewinding and freeze-framing it, but it sure seemed like it to me. HJow did that get past the TV ratings and only get the show a PG?
Old 06-07-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mugwump
I watched the coal-mining episode last night and that was some heartbreaking television. These guys head off to do hard, dangerous work every day in the attempt to provide for their families in a region where there are few other options yet family ties are so close that moving away seems unthinkable. Most of us are generations removed from that sort of life.
You summed it up very well. I felt heart broken at the announcement of "Black Lung" during the doctors office scene
Old 06-07-08, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Barings
Did we see the same episode? I thought the girl who was a great high school golfer who extremely frustrated and sad that she couldn't get into college or get scholarships even though she was a straight A student because she didn't have a social security number. I remember the episode distinctly because I thought, "Heck, I'll marry her!" since she was so adorable and mature at the same time.
Like I said, its been 2 years since that episode aired and its not yet on DVD so I can't remember all of it. FX has been randomly re-airing some episodes in the past few weeks and this one has yet to pop-up. Regardless, she is not a legal citizen so she should not be able to go and take part in anything like that anyway. This debate is more for the Political forum, but living in California, I see enough people working the system that are not even legal (fake SSN etc).
Old 06-07-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barings
I thought it did a great job since a staunch Minuteman who, at the end of the episode was still opposed to illegal immigration, decided to stop participating in border patrols and focus on lobbying efforts in Washington instead.

He realized he could have been in the exact same situation in Cuba (the family lived in a shanty in Mexico) if his father wasn't a US citizen. The eppy put a face on illegal immigration for this guy who saw the family as his own since the female head reminded him of his own mother.
After viewing a cut of episode the Minuteman said the show misrepresented him and created the false impression that he had changed his mind on the issue. link. He mentions another cut, which didn't distort his views, but I think the one he objected to is the one that was aired.
Old 06-09-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
So which one's are Spurlock going to be in this time around. The one's he's in are always the best. The minimum wage one is still my favorite episode.
In addition to "Working in a Coal Mine", Spurlock will also be in "Life on an Indian Reservation" which is the 6th and final episode of the season.
Old 06-11-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
No thread about the wheelchair episode?

I thought it was fascinating. Heartbreaking what people have to go through when faced with their new options.

I really liked Matt Poole, the disabled volunteer counselor who became friends with Ray Crockett. Seems like a very charismatic, likable guy.
Old 06-11-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
No thread about the wheelchair episode?

I thought it was fascinating. Heartbreaking what people have to go through when faced with their new options.

I really liked Matt Poole, the disabled volunteer counselor who became friends with Ray Crockett. Seems like a very charismatic, likable guy.
I just finished this episode. Matt is a one of a kind. This was a good episode. Whether or not Spurlock was looking for a high profile person to do this task I'm glad they did find someone who took the take to heart. Someone who'll truly believe what they went through was worth bringing to the forefront.
Old 06-13-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Timber
UUUGGGGHHHHHHH

Sooo manipulative

We dont have insurance....ummm my wrist is sore from laboring

Lets visit the hospital!!!!

Bothered me big time
Old 06-16-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just recently found this show on FX and started watching some of the repeats. I really like the concept. I just set my DVR to record the new season. The coal mining episode was intense. The work that those guys do seems so grueling, and I'm sure the lure of a nice paycheck is what keeps generations going back. I hope the rest of the season is just as engaging.
Old 06-25-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like there's some controversy over things said by a couple of interviewees in the "Same-Sex Parenting" episode and how they were presented as facts and left unchallenged.

Last edited by FatTony; 06-25-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
(Sorry about the excessive whitespace -- not sure why that's happening)
Remove the newlines from your table code. They would get ignored if this was straight HTML, but not when UBB is in the picture.
Old 06-25-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really enjoyed the Same-Sex Parenting episode, but found the woman way too close minded. I thought she wanted to go into this experience to try and see things from the other side, but she couldn't get over her bigotry and ignorance. Really upsetting, but I guess it goes to show you some things are very deep seeded.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.