Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

FYE and used dvds....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

FYE and used dvds....

Old 05-08-08, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYE and used dvds....

how is fye when selling them dvds for store credit...

i have some dvds i am i don't want. no luck selling them here, so thought i might try fye, but have never taken my dvds there...

anyone have experience with them i know i wont get top dollar but are they some what fair....

thanks
Old 05-08-08, 03:29 PM
Banned

They're a rip off try secondspin.com it's the same you'll get at F.Y.E. but more options on funds and trade
Old 05-08-08, 04:20 PM

To me FYE pays about the same as Secondspin.com. I called an FYE near me about The Orphanage a few days ago. They said they would pay "$5.00 if it's in good shape." $6.00 on secondspin. I prefer eBay/half.com but I like DVDPlanet as well.
Old 05-08-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYE's prices are usually close to what is quoted at www.wherehouse.com (usually it's a little less). However if you take store credit instead of cash, they will give you an extra 25%. Also, if you wait for their "brown bag" promotion that they run a couple of times a year, they will give you an extra 20% on top of that. So if a DVD is worth $10, they will give you $12.50 if you opt for store credit. If they are runnning the 20% promotion, they will then give you 20% on that $12.50, making a total of $15.00 of store credit.
Old 05-08-08, 06:38 PM

thanks for the info .. i guess i will go with my fye 5 mins down the road from me instead of mailing the stuff in and waiting. and taking a chance of stuff getting lost..
Old 05-23-08, 05:43 PM

Any idea when the next "Brown Bag" promotion will be and when the last one was?

Shane
Old 05-23-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davethomasowns
Any idea when the next "Brown Bag" promotion will be and when the last one was?

Shane
They usually do it a couple of times a year and it lasts for about a month and a half. The last one ended in mid-February. They had one last year that went from June to mid-July, so hopefully they will do the same this year.
Old 05-23-08, 08:38 PM

Dang, why'd you have to tell me that. I have a lot of stuff I was gonna take up there tomorrow, but now I think I will have to wait until June!
Old 05-23-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those not in the know, FYE , SecondSpin.com, and Wharehouse.com are all part of the same company.

I've found them to be no better or worse than anyone else when selling back used. But usually, if you are selling back something newer, say within the first month of it's release, they are better. You will always get 25% more if you want credit, instead of cash, too.
Old 05-24-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, why'd you have to tell me that. I have a lot of stuff I was gonna take up there tomorrow, but now I think I will have to wait until June!
Please be aware that there is no guarantee that the promotion will surface in June. You might want to ask db27(he's an FYE store manager) if he has heard of anything coming down the pike. Here's the link to the thread that he maintains in the Bargains forum-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=509742
Old 05-24-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Wherehouse.com

Fixed so that nobody goes to the wrong site.

www.wherehouse.com
Old 05-24-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I've found that the older the item you try to sell to FYE, the less you will get.

I've sold a few CD's from 2000-2005 and have usually gotten anywhere from $1-$3 in cash.

As for DVD's, I have noticed that if your expecting to make some decent $$$$, you need to sell them some big name titles.
Old 05-24-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

As for DVD's, I have noticed that if your expecting to make some decent $$$$, you need to sell them some big name titles.
Just go to www.wherehouse.com and put in the title that you wish to sell. FYE will usually give you close to what is quoted at wherehouse.com. I always print out my "to sell" cart at wherehouse and take it with me when I trade in at FYE. That way, I can see if I'm getting shafted.
Old 05-25-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you bring them in for trade, how do they handle the exchange? Do you get the money on a gift card? If so, can you keep bringing that gift card back in to keep adding trade money onto it?
Old 05-25-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something that I noticed when selling to SecondSpin and DvdPlanet is that if they offer very little for a title (like $1-$2.50) then just hold onto it for a while because the prices often rebound later. Clint Eastwood snapper case Tightrope, Polanski's Repulsion (poor transfer) are just a couple recent examples that come to mind.
Old 05-25-08, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by renaldow
If you bring them in for trade, how do they handle the exchange? Do you get the money on a gift card? If so, can you keep bringing that gift card back in to keep adding trade money onto it?

they put it on a card you can then use that card int he store or on fye warehouse and other sites they own...

each time you bring in dvds that give you a new card they dont keep adding to the one card.. but that not a big deal as just order a few dvds from warehouse.com and used three gift cards......
Old 05-25-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks DarkEyes, that's what I was wondering. I want to save up for something, and I didn't want to trade things in and then get a handful of cards I couldn't use all at once.
Old 05-25-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by renaldow
Thanks DarkEyes, that's what I was wondering. I want to save up for something, and I didn't want to trade things in and then get a handful of cards I couldn't use all at once.
Yep. you can use as many gift cards as you want at both the B&M and the online site. I once placed an online order and used 6 different gift cards.
Old 05-31-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one FYE (formally coconuts) refuses to buy back my DVDs. I have no idea what the problem is, but 5 times in a row I've been told to come back another day. I mean, what's the odds of that? So, something's wrong. I don't bother going back there anymore and just head to another FYE. If there's an FYE manager reading this then by all means tell me what the problem could be and if there's some place to complain.
Old 06-10-08, 02:49 PM

Anybody have any idea of when the next "Brown Bag" promotion is? I have a ton of stuff I want to trade but I would rather wait for the 20% extra.

More importantly, is there a chance there will ever be a "Trade any 2 DVDs get a $14.99 title" deal again?
Old 06-23-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Anybody have any idea of when the next "Brown Bag" promotion is? I have a ton of stuff I want to trade but I would rather wait for the 20% extra.

More importantly, is there a chance there will ever be a "Trade any 2 DVDs get a $14.99 title" deal again?
I was in a store last week and noticed the 20% off promotion. Have no idea when it ends though...
Old 06-23-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I was in a store last week and noticed the 20% off promotion. Have no idea when it ends though...
I believe that the current promotion started on Father's Day. The previous brown bag promotions lasted from a month to a month and a half.
Old 07-17-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bumping this thread to point out that the brown bag promotion ends this Saturday, the 19th.

Also, is anyone else having a problem looking up prices at www.wherehouse.com or www.secondspin.com ? When I try to get a price quote, it says that they are currently overstocked on that item and they are not accepting it for trade-in. However, this was on every single title that I entered into the search box. Me thinks that the site must be experiencing some sort of glitch. The timing couldn't be worse since I wanted to trade in some DVDs today at FYE and I always use wherehouse.com to get a general idea of what my movies are worth.
Old 07-17-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
^

Thanks! I haven't brought any in to FYE before but have a few ready to go. Think I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-17-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, the wherehouse.com website is up and running again. They were experiencing a database issue earlier today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.