Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who else wishes GBA was backlit?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who else wishes GBA was backlit?

Old 03-13-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I know it eats up batteries, but I am really not a fan of the gameboy color screen. I have the worm light, but that often just reflects of the protective part of the screen. The game gear was (is) awesome with regards to the screen.

Anyone else think they are missing the boat? I think they should work on a better power supply (like rechargeable cameras have) and go backlit.
Old 03-13-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not. unless they could keep it running off batteries and still last 15 hours that is. I felt the GBC had a fairly good display. Besides the GBA is sopposed to be better. Rechargable gameboy? I like the battery option.
Old 03-13-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
I'd prefer it backlit, though I still plan on buying it. The only time I ever really needed a portable gaming system backlit was to play at night on roadtrips, but since I do all the driving anymore, it's not a big deal.
Old 03-13-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kind of wish it was going to be backlit BUT my GBC batteries lasted forever and I liked that! If it was backlit they'd be dead after a few. I hardly ever need to play it in the dark anyways. Usually when I'm taking a dump or something.
Old 03-13-01, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember constantly changing out my 6 AAs on the Game Gear. No thanks.

-Matt
Old 03-13-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I still have my backlit Game Boy Pocket Light and it was very useful. However, the built in indigo backlight that it used would probably not work with a color screen.
Old 03-14-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

personally I don't care. The GBA makes up for that with everything else it's offering.
Old 03-14-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they made the backlight optional then people that prefer no backlighting would be happy as their batteries will last. For those of us that want the backlight for poor lighting, long car rides at night, etc, would be happy. Get some good rechargeable Nimhs and its really not much of an issue as they'll last a long time and can just charge them back up.
Old 03-14-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

My game gear has a dial (much like a volume control) so that I can adjust the back light. If I need less, I turn it down and the batteries last longer, no biggie. Plus I have a battery pack that recharges, an AC adapter for the car, etc. It is all good, baby.
Old 03-14-01, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
My game gear has a dial (much like a volume control) so that I can adjust the back light. If I need less, I turn it down and the batteries last longer, no biggie. Plus I have a battery pack that recharges, an AC adapter for the car, etc. It is all good, baby.
You, apparently, have a newer Game Gear than I did.

-Matt
Old 03-14-01, 09:20 PM

Don't care at all. Very seldom am I gaming where I need the backlight.

By the way, went over to Babbage's and put my pre-order in on this the other day. Don't know what the initial shipment numbers will be, but I don't wanna lose out on this one. I figure once the advertising kicks in, people are gonna go bonkers for it...
Old 03-14-01, 11:05 PM
Retired

Nope, I'll take the extra battery life, and use a worm light in the rare occasions that I'm playing it somewhere without good light.
Old 03-14-01, 11:35 PM

Fantasy Land? Or actual second edition GameGear... Have any pics? I contacted a Sega rep and they said "Huh?" You may have 1 in a million. Care to sell?
Old 03-15-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Fantasy Land? Or actual second edition GameGear... Have any pics? I contacted a Sega rep and they said "Huh?" You may have 1 in a million. Care to sell?
It can't be that rare. The control is on the right hand side and is exactly like the volume control on the top left.

I'll get some pics.
Old 03-15-01, 02:46 PM

It can't be that rare. The control is on the right hand side and is exactly like the volume control on the top left.

I'll get some pics.
Cool. Thanks. I've never seen such a thing. Mine definitly does not have it. I just extracted it out of my crawl space. A bit dusty, but i fired up.

I played Joe Montana Football. Ah the memories. About to score a touchdown and the batteries went dead. j/k
Old 03-15-01, 05:07 PM

I may be wrong, but kvrdave may have the Majesco Game Gear which was released last year and retails for about $29 bucks.

JoeC...couldn't confirm the specs, though...
Old 03-16-01, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by JoeC
I may be wrong, but kvrdave may have the Majesco Game Gear which was released last year and retails for about $29 bucks.

JoeC...couldn't confirm the specs, though...
ahh... Could be. I can't wait to see it though, should be neat to view.
Old 03-16-01, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
My game gear has a dial (much like a volume control) so that I can adjust the back light.
That's what GBA and all hand held units need ... including PDA's ...