Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Few Half.com Questions...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Few Half.com Questions...

Old 01-24-01, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered the Oliver Stone 2 DVD Edition of Any Given Sunday... he specifically stated 2-disc DVD Edition... today, someone left feedback for the guy saying that they ordered a 2 DVD and they only receied the 1 disc version (not sure what movie).

First of all, is there a way to find out the seller's e-mail so I can clarify with him?

Second, if I get it and it is the 1 disc version, what can I do? Is there a way to get a refund from Half.com for false advertisement? Thanks.
Old 01-24-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>
First of all, is there a way to find out the seller's e-mail so I can clarify with him?
<HR>

No. This is my single biggest gripe with this site. I have had problems/questions which could have been easily resolved if direct communication had been possible.

quote:<HR>
Is there a way to get a refund from Half.com for false advertisement?
<HR>

Yes, but it is a looooong process and a pain in the butt. I also seem to recall that you can only get $50 in returns in your lifetime. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken on that. Hope you get the right item.
Old 01-24-01, 01:25 AM

quote:<HR>I also seem to recall that you can only get $50 in returns in your lifetime. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken on that. Hope you get the right item.<HR>

well, if I get the wrong item this time, I won't be ordering again, so that won't really matter.
Old 03-10-01, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wish sometimes they'd take away negative feedback... as a seller, i find the site ridiculous because there is no communication between buyer and seller. i've had ~200 sales and all feedback 5/5 except for two orders:

one where a guy ordered a book listed in "acceptable" condition for $1.50 and my description was "pages yellowing but otherwise in good shape" his feedback was 3/5 and something like "what a ripoff, the pages are yellowing". c'mon... you're kidding me, right?

another order a guy claimed that i sent him a different version (non-remastered) of the CD than i had mailed him. it had actually been a brand new CD that i just didn't like when i bought it, so i sold it. i don't understand why you'd bother to leave feedback if you're going to pretend you received something you didn't.

leave feedback if a seller genuinely did something bad. pay attention to the feedback before making a purchase, but more importantly, don't have unreasonable expectations. if you buy a $1 book in "acceptable" condition, it's crazy to expect it to be looking like it just hopped off of barnes & noble's shelf. it shouldn't look like it came from a trash heap, but if you complain that the cover is ripped (and the description says "cover ripped") you're just being stupid.

i just wanted to demonstrate that half can be frustrating to sellers too. i really wish there was a way to communicate between buyers and sellers. i guess half doesn't want that to happen or maybe people would cut deals without going through the site. actually, i'm SURE that's why they don't allow it. even if they allowed sellers to RESPOND to feedback, it would be better. (or allowed people to see what item the feedback was in response to, so if you say the pages are yellowing, and the original item description was "pages are yellowing", people will take the feedback with a grain of salt :>) no more ranting from me (for now)
Old 03-10-01, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As an active eBayer, I've been tempted to sell at half.com - but for all the good points mentioned above, I'll stay where I am!
Old 03-11-01, 05:55 AM

The points made above do happen sometimes, but in general Half.com is a good site. I've sold over 40 items in about a year which is much more than I sold on ebay. (They're both owned by the same company anyway.) Half.com is great because you can put something up for sale and leave it there until it sells. No checking on your auction, or relisting things that didn't sell or meet your minimum. Half is like your own garage sale. You just wait for the customers to buy the stuff.
Old 03-11-01, 10:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

Here's another vote in favor of Half.com. They don't have posting fees, which I like, especially if you're like me and trying to sell off your collection of VHS tapes that may not be in the biggest demand. I can just leave them on the site, and when they sell, Half.com takes a small commission fee. I've sold 11 tapes in one week... YEAH!
Old 03-11-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard someone mention that there is away to check out items that have been posted over the last few hours in the "new item bin" (?) Anyone know anything about that? It would seemt that short of wish-listing everything I want, this would be the only way to find a real bargain at half.com.
Old 03-11-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts
I've had good luck so far unloading DVDs and VHS that I no longer want. So far people have left good feedback and I've gotten a cople of nice checks in the mail FWIW. I lke the no hassek approach to selling but I do include my email address for sellers to contact me in case they have issues etc. So far no one has contacted me so I must be doing something right