Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

When will the HD-DVD prices drop?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-20-08, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago I got a good deal on a Toshiba DVD Player (thanks to this forum actually) and I plan on getting my money's worth.

So when will the prices on HD-DVDs go down so I can load up on whatever's left out there?
Old 02-20-08, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday.
Old 02-20-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525601
Old 02-20-08, 12:07 PM

When people learn that there is no hyphen in HD DVD.
Old 02-20-08, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on how sales go at current prices. If the sheeple feel compelled to buy at $12+ then the retailers have little incentive to lower prices. If everyone just quit buying prices would drop like a rock. I'm waiting for
Old 02-20-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDVDCompare
When people learn that there is no hyphen in HD DVD.
I don't really think it matters now. Do you?
Old 02-20-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did the prices on LaserDiscs ever go down? I remember paying like $30 each for those things and then one day they all disappeared and I missed the clearance sales.
Old 02-20-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Betamax vcr and remember going by a pricey video store in a mall and they had a basket full previously viewed beta tapes for cheap. Actually, it was a video rental store that would sell new videos at crazy prices like 100.00 plus. I would guess rather quickly this time with the way the world has become. I was still using my beta 10 plus years after and it was never problem finding blank tapes from what I remember.
Old 02-20-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I don't really think it matters now. Do you?
Well, we can talk about Blue-ray until we're blu in the face. But that seems odd. Anyway, prices will come down but it's going to be probably more seen with online stores. B&M stores may not be able to box up their HD DVD titles and ship them back to the studios. But again, I'm not so sure. I think B&M stores are in the same situation as HD DVD consumers are. If they return the merchandise, they may not get the same price/credit as when they bought them. Why? Because they are returning product AFTER the fact the product is being discontnued.

So, we might see regular prices for a while until the head of the sales dept says "fuck it, we're gettin' rid of these." They may want to try and get a few bucks by selling all HD DVDs for $10 a piece or something. Maybe $9 a piece. This will vary by store initially, and then expect other stores to follow.
Old 02-20-08, 07:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Lecithin
Did the prices on LaserDiscs ever go down? I remember paying like $30 each for those things and then one day they all disappeared and I missed the clearance sales.
There's a store in Victoria, BC (see: Canada) that has about 2000 laserdiscs, all for $2.50 each. My girlfriend is there right now, and she's bringing me back about 20 titles.
Old 02-20-08, 08:29 PM

I walked into the local Best Buy today in the Toronto area and saw the A3 player going for $170, of course I always like to amuse myself and ask the staff questions many who have no clue about electronics and just tow the company line, so I say I guess the fire sale for HD DVD has started, he says ahhh not really, then I respond well the players are going for so and so, and he points out that movies are still regulary priced.

Sure enough their HD DVD movies are still at the same rate even though the shelf space has been cleared by at least half of the movies removed, what a bunch of dolts heheheh
Old 02-20-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to Circuit City today to see if they had any deals going, and I was amazed to find the following:

1 HD-A3 and about 12 assorted HD-DVDs (about 1/2 of them were the Bourne Movies, and, upon inspection, all at retail $) in the WHOLE freaking store. I also looked around for Blurays, and they had about 8 of those (no players except for a stack of 4-6 PS3s). Holy crap, does that store suck. At first I thought I'd missed some great sale begun by a manager.

Best Buy had a lot more in stock, but it was all at standard retail prices, too (no open box items in site, either, interestingly).

Is it bad that I refresh this page every 90 seconds or in order to keep up-to-date?
Old 02-20-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Retail outlets are going to try and get the most $$$ for HD DVD titles for a short while. Then, it's party time.
Old 02-20-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NOW! Stores have to sell them or trash them! You can probaly get them for $5-$10 a piece soon.