Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

'Lawrence of Arabia' HD premier Feb 10 - HDNet Movies

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-04-08, 10:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

nuff said
Old 02-04-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind, this will be coming from the new HD remaster that Sony did. So it should give us an idea of how this will look on BD.
Old 02-04-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The transfer looks stunning from the what I've seen from the previews and it looks like Sony spared no expense for this transfer. Can't wait for this to come out on BD!
Old 02-04-08, 05:46 PM

oh my goodness - cannot wait. anything Lean - sign me up. I am sure Dr. Zhivago cannot be far behind.
Old 02-04-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by samper
oh my goodness - cannot wait. anything Lean - sign me up. I am sure Dr. Zhivago cannot be far behind.
Warner will have to play with it, it does not belong to SONY.

Pro-B
Old 02-05-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I still got HDNet Movies. *sigh
Old 02-05-08, 08:19 AM

oh and der, the movie airs at 6:15pm EST/3:15pm on Sunday.
(with repeats during the month)

I haven't seen it but I've reading rave (standard) dvd reviews of 'Ryan's Daughter' sourced from a 65mm print - WB should definately release that in HiDef!

Last edited by Giles; 02-05-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks. I went to Directv.com and scheduled a recording for my HD DVR (DVR Online Scheduling). Did I say I love Directv for HD??
Old 02-05-08, 05:08 PM

Here is some interesting news on David Lean. On 3/28/2008, it would be his centenary year (his birth) and the lucky UK folks will have access to many of his restored films for viewing. According to a press relase 10 of his films are being restored by the BFI:

June Ten newly restored titles released across the UK --
The David Lean Foundation has generously funded the restoration of ten of Sir David
Lean’s sixteen films by the BFI National Archive, Granada International and Canal Plus,
and these will be available in high quality 35mm prints and HD digital format through
BFI Distribution and Park Circus.
Old 02-05-08, 07:35 PM

According to thedigitalbits.com Rumour Mill Lawrence is not likely to be released on Blu-ray until 2009
- sadly
Can't wait for it!
Old 02-13-08, 08:50 AM

you know, the presentation was generally exceptional (sans some faint banding), but this is the second time HDNet Movies presented a movie missing the entr'act intermission music - HDNet also did this with Oliver! (the exit music also got chopped) - so I hope when this and 'Oliver!' for that matter get official BR releases, the Blurays will mirror the standard dvd's with all music.
Old 02-13-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've never seen LoA in its entirety, so I'm kind of torn now.

I have HDnet, but I know the Blu-Ray will be better visually. Do I wait and experience it for the first time on Blu-Ray, or do I "settle" for the HD cable version?
Old 02-13-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've never seen LoA in its entirety, so I'm kind of torn now.

I have HDnet, but I know the Blu-Ray will be better visually. Do I wait and experience it for the first time on Blu-Ray, or do I "settle" for the HD cable version?
You might want to give it a go. I have been watching the trailer for awhile now and from what I have seen there it looks stunning. This is such an enormous effort that I don't believe when you pick up the BR disc you would feel disapointed that you did not wait. There is plenty to see in repeated viewings.

Pro-B
Old 02-13-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
You might want to give it a go. I have been watching the trailer for awhile now and from what I have seen there it looks stunning. This is such an enormous effort that I don't believe when you pick up the BR disc you would feel disapointed that you did not wait. There is plenty to see in repeated viewings.

Pro-B
Sounds good.

My biggest fear is I'll like it enough to want to keep my HD recording of it until the Blu-Ray. That's a 4-hour bite out of my hard drive.
Old 02-13-08, 01:21 PM

Sounds good.

My biggest fear is I'll like it enough to want to keep my HD recording of it until the Blu-Ray. That's a 4-hour bite out of my hard drive.
my DVR was actually giving me a hard time recording it (two two-hour HDNet concerts have been hogging space on my DVR for months now) - I had to split it into two halves, resulting in a minute deletion.
Old 02-13-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've actually got an external hard drive on my DVR as well as the internal. But I can't select what drive it goes to. I know the DVD typically picks what drive has more space available, but if that space is not equal to 4 hours, the recording will just end when the drive is out of space, as it can't split a recording across two drives (this is the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD with WOW cable BTW).

So I haven't recorded it yet, as I am waiting to clear some of my usual massive backlog off of the drives.
Old 02-13-08, 02:16 PM

silly question, but given the length of the movie, this would fit on one bluray disc - right? all extras would be best put onto a second disc.
Old 02-13-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
silly question, but given the length of the movie, this would fit on one bluray disc - right? all extras would be best put onto a second disc.
I think it will be close if they decide to use TrueHD or PCM.

Seeing as this will be a prestigious release, I don't see how it won't be a 2-disc set with a 43.99 list a la Superbad.
Old 02-13-08, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
The roadshow version which includes the music before the movie, intermissionm and clising credits, runs right at about 4 hours. So i would hope the first disc would be movie only. I don't foresee any commentaries or the like. Of course in the collectors DVD, on the extra with the Speilberg interview, he says he once saw the entire movie with David Lean, and Lean basically did a commentary for him right there. Would have been incredible had that been recorded.
Old 02-13-08, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The roadshow version which includes the music before the movie, intermissionm and clising credits, runs right at about 4 hours. So i would hope the first disc would be movie only. I don't foresee any commentaries or the like. Of course in the collectors DVD, on the extra with the Speilberg interview, he says he once saw the entire movie with David Lean, and Lean basically did a commentary for him right there. Would have been incredible had that been recorded.
the running time is actually mentioned on the back of the Collector's Edition:

film: 217min
film with opening/intermission/exit music: 227min
Old 02-13-08, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

I'm getting Time Warner installed tomorrow (Valentine's Day) and I'm looking forward to seeing it on HDNet. I have never seen the whole thing before so it will be a new experience for me and hearing it was a terrific movie. I've seen the previews at my parents house and it looks prety amazing!
Old 02-14-08, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
It should fit on a 50gb disc with lossless sound and a plethora of subtitle options. I'm sure a release like this will result in a completely seperate disc for extras.
Old 02-17-08, 05:40 PM
Cool New Member

OK. I just watched it last night and I have to say that it was a VERY good looking movie for being that old (like the Blu for 2001) and I WILL be picking it up when it comes out on Blu! Also, the movie itself is awesome and i'm glad I FINALLY got to see it! They also said that their showing Ghostbusters on March 6th or 8th (I forgot which) and the preview looked great for that one too! I can't wait!

I have another quick question:
When I see these movies on HDNet, are they all pretty much HD transfers? II ask this because I saw a few that were on there and UniversalHD (Sixteen Candles, Litte Shop Of Horrors, Alien Ressurection and Bulworth) and they looked SOOOO much better than the DVDs. I know those aren't out on Blu but maybe they will some day. I'm just curious because I have NO idea how the HD movies channels work. Thanks alot.

Last edited by gumpaholic; 02-17-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-17-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gumpaholic
OK. I just watched it last night and I have to say that it was a VERY good looking movie for being that old (like the Blu for 2001) and I WILL be picking it up when it comes out on Blu! Also, the movie itself is awesome and i'm glad I FINALLY got to see it! They also said that their showing Ghostbusters on March 6th or 8th (I forgot which) and the preview looked great for that one too! I can't wait!

I have another quick question:
When I see these movies on HDNet, are they all pretty much HD transfers? II ask this because I saw a few that were on there and UniversalHD (Sixteen Candles, Litte Shop Of Horrors, Alien Ressurection and Bulworth) and they looked SOOOO much better than the DVDs. I know those aren't out on Blu but maybe they will some day. I'm just curious because I have NO idea how the HD movies channels work. Thanks alot.
Everything on HDnet is in HD, including the commercials. They're not one of the "HD-lite" channels like StarzHD that only shows some of their stuff in HD.

I just saw the Sixteen Candles broadcast. Looked OK, but was riddled with debris.

Unfortunately for some reason HDnet simply doesn't get any movies from Fox or Disney. I'll I ever see on their are Sony, WB, Universal, older MGM and Paramount stuff, along with smaller studio stuff.
Old 02-17-08, 09:52 PM
Cool New Member

Everything on HDnet is in HD, including the commercials. They're not one of the "HD-lite" channels like StarzHD that only shows some of their stuff in HD.

I just saw the Sixteen Candles broadcast. Looked OK, but was riddled with debris.

Unfortunately for some reason HDnet simply doesn't get any movies from Fox or Disney. I'll I ever see on their are Sony, WB, Universal, older MGM and Paramount stuff, along with smaller studio stuff.
Sixteen Candles wasn't perfect nut it did look alot better than the remastered DVD that came out last year. Also I saw that tomorrow they are showing Hildago (which is Touchtone/Disney) so it may just depend on the movie I guess. Thanks for letting me know about the HD channels. It's good info to know.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.