Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which type of DVDs do you wonder why people collect them?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-03-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are many people in here who look at other people's dvd collections and say "why in the world would you own that or own so many of those types of DVDs?" Which type of DVDs do you always wonder why people collect?

1. Wrestling DVDs - For the people that buy wrestling DVDs, is it possible to own one or two of them? From all the collections I've seen, the wrestling DVD fans seem to have loads of them. Are they really watched a bunch of times? I'm a die-hard baseball fan, but I don't own one baseball game/highlights/bloopers/etc. DVD. I don't have anything against wrestling and I'm entertained by the genre as well, but i'm just curious why someone would own so many Wrestling DVDs?
Old 02-03-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^Interesting question. I honestly don't understand wrestling at all, on DVD or otherwise. I understand that the fans appreciate that it's scripted, and I appreciate that it takes real athletic ability to do the stunts and that the performers can often be injured, I understand too that the storylines can be as complex and evolving as the best daytime soap operas, I just don't understand what's compelling about it. I've always been curious about it, but didn't want to ask in the DVD wrestling thread since it's OT of the purpose of that thread.

Even though my interest in DVDs runs mainly to documentaries, and art house and foreign films, I understand most every other sort of collection but wrestling.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 02-03-08 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 06:10 PM

a few actually:

1. huge collections, like over 1000. do these people watch all of these movies enough times to justify a purchase, sometimes new for 25 bucks on "new release days"

2. owning shitty sequels. i can understand if they come in a box set or youve got a good deal on them (i just got the rambo 3pack for 9.99 dollars sealed) so, fine i can sacrifice having rambo 3 in my collection because i paid what i would have for 1 movie and got all 3.

but shitters like men in black 2,home alone 4, be cool, the whole 10 yards, scary movie 2 and up, ect. just because it has a 2 or 3 in the title doesnt mean you need to own the whole set. just get the good ones.

3. owning multiple copies of the same movie. i have a firend that has 4 copies of miami vice. what the fuck? just have one. i can see your point with wrestling^^ personally i ownly own about 15 titles. my wishlist for PPV's is about 10, and they are all really good ones.

4. steelbooks. nm, i just cant. i love them too much. forget i even mentioned it
Old 02-03-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I know there are many people in here who look at other people's dvd collections and say "why in the world would you own that or own so many of those types of DVDs?" Which type of DVDs do you always wonder why people collect?

1. Wrestling DVDs - For the people that buy wrestling DVDs, is it possible to own one or two of them? From all the collections I've seen, the wrestling DVD fans seem to have loads of them. Are they really watched a bunch of times? I'm a die-hard baseball fan, but I don't own one baseball game/highlights/bloopers/etc. DVD. I don't have anything against wrestling and I'm entertained by the genre as well, but i'm just curious why someone would own so many Wrestling DVDs?

Because wrestling is a continuous storyline, so only having one or two wrestling DVDs is like owning a few random episodes of a TV show...if you're a casual fan, that might be okay for you, but for a die-hard fan, they want the complete storyline.
Old 02-03-08, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disney DVDs.... I have 3 kids between 5 and 14, so we have plenty of Disney around, but my brother-in-law's wife collects anything and everything to do with Disney (she's in her mid-40s). They bought a brand new house; she had every lightswitch plate changed over to a Disney character motif before they moved a box in. But anyway, as to DVDs, she buys every single Disney title, whether she's seen it or not, whether or not it's any good, etc...
...but I cannot honestly say I'm innocent of the same type of thing. Hell, I love Godzilla movies. Every last one of them (except the USA G-film). And some of them are faaaarrrrr better than others; some I may only watch once or twice on DVD, others will be viewed over 30 times (maybe more). I would bet most of the DVDTalkers who were honest with themselves would agree that they have some portion of their collection(s) which would be qualified the same way.
Old 02-03-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw The Price is Right DVD annoucement a few weeks back was "why would anyone want to buy this?"
Old 02-03-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
Because wrestling is a continuous storyline, so only having one or two wrestling DVDs is like owning a few random episodes of a TV show...if you're a casual fan, that might be okay for you, but for a die-hard fan, they want the complete storyline.
OK, I can see that. I have a serious question, though. Do the die hard collectors admit that the sport is fake and the "story lines" are pre-scripted? I mean the only person I know personally who owns a wrestling DVD truly believes its real.
Old 02-03-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
          Old 02-03-08, 07:37 PM
          DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
          Buying multiple copies of the same movie just because of different covers and/or different crappy exclusives.

Buying sequels when you admit you don't like them but just because you want to have them. Especially when you're getting it on release day. Just wait a month or two and get it when it's heavily discounted because it's a crappy sequel.

Wrestling is a soap opera. Not having a bunch of them would be like having random episodes of some soap opera.
          Old 02-03-08, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
          OK, I can see that. I have a serious question, though. Do the die hard collectors admit that the sport is fake and the "story lines" are pre-scripted? I mean the only person I know personally who owns a wrestling DVD truly believes its real.
          They are just as pre-scripted as any movie or TV Show. So if you can't collect anything that is pre-scripted, what would that leave you with? Reality TV Show DVD's?
          Old 02-03-08, 07:58 PM
          DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave

My husband is a die-hard fan, and yes, he definitely admits that it's all storylines and entertainment. He definitely considers it more entertainment, than an actual sport.
          Old 02-03-08, 08:13 PM
          DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
          10 replies and no "Criterion" ? (I'm a Criterion collector myself).
          Old 02-03-08, 08:19 PM
          DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
          Criterion and Wrestling DVDs. A sign the anti-Christ has arrived will be when Criterion releases WWE titles.
          Old 02-03-08, 08:20 PM
          DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
          Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
          Originally Posted by GatorDeb
          10 replies and no "Criterion" ? (I'm a Criterion collector myself).
          Look again. I mentioned Criterion.
          Old 02-03-08, 08:29 PM
          DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
          Originally Posted by Chad
            I don't see the problem with this. Personally, I upgrade for the PQ of the movie itself. Besides, if you are upgrading then you already have the special features on the DVD anyways even if they aren't ported over. How often are the speacial features actually in HD on the HD version?(That's an honest question as I don't really watch special features to know)
            Old 02-03-08, 09:19 PM
            DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
            Does anyone collect National Geographic DVD's?

If so, I'm not sure why anyone would watch those more than once.
            Old 02-03-08, 09:33 PM
            DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope this creepy video can help answer your wonders.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7SEjVsJqSHo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7SEjVsJqSHo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

*Warning this video is way too ????

Originally Posted by toddly6666

Old 02-03-08, 09:37 PM
            DVD Talk Special Edition

As mentioned,

Movies that people don't really like but buy it to complete the series or something.

Criterions.

Even though I don't like wrestling, I can actually understand it. I have some sports games on tape and every now and then I'll pop when in. Kind of a nostaglia thing I guess. I get to admire the greatness of Walter Payton or Gretzky, etc.
            Old 02-03-08, 10:03 PM

Anime
            Criterion
            Wrestling
            Sequels that aren't good
            Old 02-03-08, 10:22 PM
            DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
            Originally Posted by uncle-frank
            1. huge collections, like over 1000. do these people watch all of these movies enough times to justify a purchase, sometimes new for 25 bucks on "new release days"
            I have a collection over 1000. I treat it as a library. I love having a lot of options of movies/shows I want to watch at any given time. I fully plan on watching every single title. Yes, I may only watch it once, but once justifies a purchase for me. I rarely ever buy a movie/show on "new release day." I rarely buy anything at a B&M. I always wait for the deals to present themselves when I purchase titles.

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
            3. owning multiple copies of the same movie. i have a firend that has 4 copies of miami vice. what the fuck? just have one. i can see your point with wrestling^^ personally i ownly own about 15 titles. my wishlist for PPV's is about 10, and they are all really good ones.
            It depends on what you determine as "multiple copies of the same movie." If you truly mean 2 copies of the exact same release/region/etc... I don't really think anyone does that? Personally, I have a few releases of the same title. In almost every case, it is a release from another region of a movie I love. I love special features, and for my favorite movies I will purchase different releases to get all the content (i.e. The Fifth Element Deluxe and the R2 SE).

As for those who own the same release, but in different packaging, I can *understand* it, but I would rarely do it. Some people are collectors, plain and simple, and need all the variants. I can remember buying multiple copies of the same comic book because there were different covers. Same idea. Maybe Xage can chime in on this one

As for types of DVDs that I wonder why people collect them, I have none. I may not collect wrestling DVDs, anime, or Disney movies, but for those who do, more power to you!

The only thing that truly baffles me are the people who go out and buy new DVDs on Tuesdays at B&M stores and just pay regular price, when they could have bought them on-line much cheaper... either pre-order or with a sale, etc... I know there are release week sales, but I'm not talking about that. Maybe they just don't care about how much they spend, maybe they need it right away??
            Old 02-03-08, 10:33 PM

I have a hard time justifying my Simpson's or Seinfeld DVDs ... I end up watching them on TV more often than DVD because they're on multiple times a day.
            Old 02-03-08, 10:51 PM
            DVD Talk Special Edition

Before even clicking on this thread I knew it had something to do with Wrestling collections.

I don't see why it's so hard to figure out or understand why a collector who is a fan of a certain genre would collect something. I'm a wrestling fan, a huge one. I try to get my hands on as many titles as I can and yes I watch them and I find replay value in most of my wrestling dvds, that's what sorta makes me a fan and a collector of that certain genre.

As for stereotyping us wrestling fans as a bunch of loons who still think it's real. I for one know it's "fake" and find entertainment in the storylines and the matches that develop because of the storylines. I'm willing to bet the majority of fans feel that same way. Even though I'm sure there's a few wrestling fans who get lost in the hype, it's probably no different then fans of other genres who wait on lines for days on end to see certain movies or whatever else.

To each their own.
            Old 02-03-08, 11:54 PM

I don't really wonder why people collect the way they do, because people collect in various ways and for various reasons, hence the difference in collections. I have to admit though, I am questioning whether I want to keep growing my collection, or thin it out with titles I don't care for. I mean, I have some titles that I heard it was a good movie, only to be disappointed (I gave away my copy of Sideways recently; I did not think it was that great of a movie). There was one person that posted once where I read he thinned out his collection from over 1000 (or more) to just a few hundred or so. He kept only the movies that he knew he would want to watch over and over, and got rid of the rest. I've thought about this, but I still find myself buying stuff 'cos it is limited or it's an actor I like. I wish I could get rid of the chic-flicks in my collection 'cos I know I'll never voluntarily watch them, but I'd have to get rid of the wife also. I buy Disney for the little ones, and I'm pretty sure they'll have to fight for them when they have kids (although some titles may stay with me regardless).

I do find it fascinating about the various ways people collect dvd's, how they store/treat them, but that is just the Psychologist/Sociologist in me.
            Old 02-04-08, 12:16 AM
            DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
            Originally Posted by minnesota
            I have a hard time justifying my Simpson's or Seinfeld DVDs ... I end up watching them on TV more often than DVD because they're on multiple times a day.
            The fact that TV shows are uncut on DVD while the episodes in syndication are usually cut by a few minutes to get in more commercials is more than enough justification for having the DVDs for any show.

(Now watching the syndicated versions instead of the DVDs version you own - that needs justification!)
            Old 02-04-08, 01:20 AM

People collect crappy sequels because they want to complete the collection. Some people are just perfectionist in that sense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.