Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon: "carrier notified to pick up package" delay

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-31-08, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand Amazon taking a couple of days to fill an order (especially with free shipping), but why does it take days sometimes for someone to come pick up a package? Tracking will say "Carrier notified to pick up package". It took four days on my last order for this status to change.
Old 01-31-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Was the first scan 4 days later an Origin Scan?

I have had it a few times where they don't bother to or forget to do the origin scan, and the first real tracking activity I see if somewhere down the line.
Old 01-31-08, 12:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I can understand Amazon taking a couple of days to fill an order (especially with free shipping), but why does it take days sometimes for someone to come pick up a package? Tracking will say "Carrier notified to pick up package". It took four days on my last order for this status to change.
Was it shipped by USPS? If so, then Amazon saves a sizable chunk of change by presorting packages by zip code. Perhaps they are holding "free shipping" packages for 4 days so they can accumulate shipments and then presort them before USPS pick up. This would maximize their savings.

Last edited by rich-y; 01-31-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by rich-y
Was it shipped by USPS? If so, then Amazon saves a sizable chunk of change by presorting packages by zip code. Perhaps they are holding "free shipping" packages for 4 days so they can accumulate shipments and then presort them before USPS pick up. This would maximize their savings.
and give extra incentive to pay for shipping...
Old 01-31-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rich-y
This makes sense. Yeah, it was USPS. It's really not a big deal to me, but I was wondering about the short delay.
Old 01-31-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, I see that pretty often now... It used to be my Free Shipping order would arrive in 3 or 4 days.... now it takes that long just for the order to ship, plus another 6 days or so for delivery. Really lame...