Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscount won't exchange damaged set

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-09-08, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I've only just joined, although I've been reading the forums for a while now.

I bought a fair few dvds in the last Deep Discount 20% off sale, and one of the dvd sets I received is damaged. The cardboard case it is in is crumpled, and the plastic case that holds the dvds inside is cracked. This set only arrived a few days ago, as Deep Discount had to resend my order due to it never arriving. Which happens way too often, but that's another problem. I'm in Australia by the way.

When I emailed Deep Discount, this is the response I received:

'We will replace the product if the dvds are damaged but not if the dvd cases are damaged.'

I emailed them again, thinking that they must've misunderstood me, as surely the dvd case and the cardboard with artwork around it are an integral part of the set. I received the same answer.

It's not my fault that I received a faulty, damaged product - we all know how they ship their dvds (mine came loose in a thin box with a bit of paper crunched on top of the sets). I'm taking other steps to get my money back.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Tgirl
Old 01-09-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
11/18 and 11/23 - Placed multiple orders with multiple DVD sets on a BOGO offer
11/30 - Orders shipped
12/08 - Order Received, 3 DVD sets with floaters - Western Collection, Paul Newman Collection (broken disc case AND floater), Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece collection
12/09 - Returned for replacement (not refund)
12/20 - Return confirmed, replacement orders placed (not processed), email received saying 3 orders will ship shortly
12/21 - received email saying 1 out of above 3 orders has shipped
12/29 - received order shipped on 12/21 -The Western Collection - no damage on this set
01/04 - emailed in the AM asking why other 2 orders have not shipped
01/04 - three generic emails received in the PM as reply for all three emails - saying they have processed refund as items are not in stock despite items showing in stock on website. says refund posted 12/20, nothing shows on CC until today which is 01/09
01/05 - called in the AM. 40 minutes (yes, 40 mins) later, lady picks up. I ask why items had not shipped. I am told none of items were in stock and they had just received them in stock (yeah, right, just after I call) and that orders will be shipped on 01/07 (I did not mention receiving refund email)
01/08 - called in the AM (20 min hold) asking why I didn't receive shipping confirmation on 01/07. Was told order would ship that day which is 01/08

01/09/08 (today):
1. called in the afternoon asking why items did not ship on 01/08 as mentioned, guy says he does not know.

2. got an answer saying one of my items -Paul Newman Collection - was Free anyway (BOGO) and that they cannot reship item because I had not 'paid' for this item - Yes, this is the answer I got

3. I was livid but guy was cool and worked with me. Then he says this item is not in stock. I tell him website shows it in stock. After 15 minutes, he offered to place another order for this item at no cost

4. Then I ask him about why the second order - Alfred Hitchcock Set - had not shipped. He looks up this order and says, you know what, both items (this and the other for which he had just placed a no cost order) showed as Shipped on 01/07 under the status for this order

5. I asked why I did not receive a shipping confirmation. He says he does not know.

6. Then he says, I was charged for the free item on the BOGO order. I asked why. He says the lady that processed the order did not think a zero amount order would be shipped and so charged me $20.97 for it - Yes this is the answer I got.

7. I said, 'what the hell are you guys doing ? do you know how to run a business ? how can you charge me for an item without my knowledge or an order ? Do you know that is illegal' - guy apologizes and refunds $20.97

8. I ask whats the status on the shipped order. He says there is no tracking number

9. I ask to confirm the order number of this shipment - he gives me an order number which does not even show up under my account on their website. I ask why and he says he does not know.

10. I said 'I need a shipment confirmation email, otherwise it is your word against mine' - he puts me on hold, comes back a few minutes later and says I will receive shipping email today. so far, no email has been received.

Number of agonizing minutes spent on the call: appr 40
Number of days since original Order placed: 46
Status: 'Paul Newman Collection' and 'Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection' still yet to be completely fulfilled. No shipping confirmation received yet on order supposedly shipped.
Order Number: completely different from the ones referred to in original reprocess confirmation email. Cannot look this up on website.
Status of so called Refund they claimed they had processed: Nothing until today

If you guys are feeling gung ho about this 'once stellar-now gone-to-the-dogs' company and still want to place orders, please be my guest.

Am done with this turd of a joint. Amazon it is - low prices or high prices, their service just can't be beat. At least lets encourage an outfit that cares about its customers.

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 01-10-08 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-10-08, 12:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmmm...

I recently purchased an expensive CD box set (nearly $200.00) from DD through Amazon Marketplace. I received it yesterday, and one corner of the box was crushed fairly badly. I contacted them about returning it last night, twenty-four hours later I still haven't heard back from them.

I've spent many many many thousands of dollars at DD over the past seven years or so, and I've never returned a scratched floater or damaged package. If they try pulling that "We don't exchange/refund for damaged packages" crap with me, I'll simply inform Amazon that I want a refund, or dispute the charge with my credit card.
Old 01-10-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you should just tell them you've got a floater and it won't play in your machine. Then you'd definitely be shipped a replacement after they receive your's in return.
Old 01-10-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They sent me my Superman box set damaged and I didnt even bother trying to replace it.
Old 01-10-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Someday you will all realize that DDD is the worst retailer of DVDs on the internet.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 01-10-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-10-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Someday you will all realize that DDD is the worst internet retailer of DVDs on the internet.
Old 01-10-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I had problems with one of my sets (the Kinski Collection) which came damaged. It took a bit of legwork and some repeat calls to get a replacement shipped to me, but it wasn't a huge hassle.

But yes, unless you're saving a considerable amount on DDD, you do want to be careful.
Old 01-13-08, 06:47 PM

Give them a call. (i know expensive from Australia) and tell them that it wasn't in there...might be a bit late but that's what i'd do. It's not like it would be worth it for anyone to send the DVD back to them....

Anyway DD have only ever stuffed up one of my orders and i live in Aus. They forgot to put an item in. They sent it back to me and all was received which is good.

-Ben
Old 01-14-08, 06:30 PM

I just received a couple packages from them today. The married with children sets I ordered from the B1G1 were in there. Season 4 of MWC looked like shit. All the corners were crushed, the bottom of the front, the blue color was all white from being rubbed against something. Anyways, it was packaged well, which means that they obviously put it in there looking like that. I am going to try to see if i can get a replacement w/o too much damage. All I can say is quality control, damn. I'm one of the few who has never even had a problem with them before.
Old 01-15-08, 12:06 AM

I've complained to the BBB, and have contacted my credit card company as well. I'll be interested to see how you go riderjeff. I shouldn't have to go through all this hassle for what is their mistake. We'll see what happens next.

So much for their 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Old 01-15-08, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Someday you will all realize that DDD is the worst retailer of DVDs on the internet.
Ive been saying this for years, one of the first, and I always got sheep crying for what I said.
Old 01-15-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riderjeff
I just received a couple packages from them today. The married with children sets I ordered from the B1G1 were in there. Season 4 of MWC looked like shit. All the corners were crushed, the bottom of the front, the blue color was all white from being rubbed against something. Anyways, it was packaged well, which means that they obviously put it in there looking like that. I am going to try to see if i can get a replacement w/o too much damage. All I can say is quality control, damn. I'm one of the few who has never even had a problem with them before.
Is the box still sealed? I know that it's unfair to the other store, but you might want to pick this item up at a local store(Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc) and then return the DD crushed box to that store for a refund. As long as the item is clearly sealed, the local store will most likely take it back and give you a refund.
Old 01-15-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's really crappy of them to not only send out damaged goods but to not stand behind their packing of DVDs.
Old 01-16-08, 12:03 AM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Continuing from my post #2 above, I received the so called 'replacement' Alfred Hitchcock set today. Can you believe what these bastards have done ? They have repackaged the same defective set with shrink wrap and sent it back. The same floater in the same title - worse, there is a deep scratch on it this time that the disc does not even play. Will anyone bother buying from these mofos again ?

Also, can anyone suggest what strong action to take against these bastards ? thanks
Old 01-16-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess im one of the lucky ones. I received the 007 Ultimate box set from them and the cases for Volume 1 and 2 were damaged. I exchanged it for a new one with no questions asked.
Old 01-16-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin

Also, can anyone suggest what strong action to take against these bastards ? thanks
You could tell them to fix it or you're going to dispute it with your credit card company.

I had to do that with Columbia House. On the phone they acted like they didn't care and weren't going to do anything yet stuff started getting taken care of.
Old 01-16-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I haven't purchased from DDD in years, Amazon generally meets or beats their prices. And it seems like I made the best choice, they used to be great but how the mighty have fallen.
Old 01-16-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

used DDD once a few years ago when they sold dvds on ebay and after over a month after paying for it and it not showing up I disputed it with pay pal and got my money back. two months later the DVD showed up. After that I never bought something from them ago on ebay or their site.
Old 01-17-08, 09:52 AM

I recently returned The Addams Family Complete Series box set because the packaging was damaged in the mail. I thought about keeping it sealed but I broke the shrinkwrap and noticed some of the dvds had fingerprints on them. I noted this on the return form. DD sent me a pre-paid address label but as of yet I have not received a new set.
Old 01-17-08, 10:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
gotta love all of these DDD sucks threads, without any sort of response from the DDD employee/lurker that frequents the forum.

Got nothing to say for yourself and your lousy organization, huh?
Old 01-17-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't remember the last time I have bought anything from them, but I don't buy too many DVD's anymore. However whenever I do, I often find Amazon has a better price, and I have never had a problem with the company.
Old 01-17-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the record, the only problem I've ever had with them was a lost package, which they reshipped after only 1 email. I've been lucky in that I haven't received damaged goods from them, but I have needed to return an entire duplicate order from one of their sales (when their server was acting weird and I didn't think the first order went through), and it only took one phone call as well.

I hardly ever order from them, though, when Amazon's price is similar/better. Can't beat that customer service!
Old 01-17-08, 03:31 PM

Am I getting a replacement after all?

I just received an email from DD saying I ordered another one of the set that's damaged, and they'll email me when it has shipped. Just their normal 'your order' email, except that the charge for the set and shipping is $0.

Did the BBB have some effect? I wonder if they'll ship it. It's rather confusing, I wish they'd let me know what's going on.
Old 01-19-08, 03:08 PM

Getting new set sent to me

The BBB had a positive effect, DD replied to my complaint through them and apologised. They are indeed sending me a replacement, and don't require me to send the damaged set back.

Which brings up another question, what to do with the damaged set? Do I destroy it completely and throw it away? I still have a damaged set that I got from Amazon a while back, don't know what to do with it either. It wouldn't be right to give it away or sell it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.