Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Margot at the Wedding (dir. Baumbach, Kidman)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-02-08, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe no one is talking about this. After the mediocre reviews, I finally checked his out and was very suprised!

A sometimes painful, but subtlety hilarious look inside an incredibly dysfunctional, unlikable family. The performances and the dialogue create an almost disturbing atmosphere that's hard to watch, but always entertaining. On par with Baumbach's earlier exceptional work, "The Squid and the Whale".

9/10

Anyone like it? hate it?
Old 01-02-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw this at the New York Film Festival, and since I thought The Squid and the Whale was absolutely terrific, I was really looking forward to it - but alas, a major disappointment for me. Even with two of my favorite actresses in the cast, I couldn't really get involved. I don't think it was the acting, simply a case of a weak script that never succeeded in creating characters that invited our empathy.
Old 01-03-08, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Major dissapointment in my opinon. I found bits and pieces really great like the relationship between mother and son. Kidman's character was kind of annoying in the movie.
Old 09-15-13, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts
Re: Margot at the Wedding (dir. Baumbach, Kidman)

Insufferable characters, insufferable movie. I couldn't relate even mildly to any aspect of this film. Nicole Kidman's character was an absolute nightmare of a human being. Jack Black was the highlight. 2.5/5