Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony STR-DE945 or Pioneer VSX-D509S???

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony STR-DE945 or Pioneer VSX-D509S???

Old 03-05-01, 09:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been comparing these two, and many others, but I am still undecided, as the Pioneer is less expensive by about $100 or so.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences? I'm new to HT, so any suggestions for a first receiver would be most appreciated.

Also, anyone have any good places to find these two things online, cheap? I've been reading the threads and know about how Sears will pricematch, but so far, no luck in finding anywhere that sells them cheap.

Many thanks,

pieront
Old 03-06-01, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had the Pioneer for over a month now and I have to give it a big thumbs up.

I got mine through Yahoo's shopping link. They will compare about 10-15 different prices on each item. I got it for $254 shipped from a place called iDealsmall.
Old 03-06-01, 10:55 AM
Cool New Member

I would recommend the Pioneer over the Sony. I have not been happy with the performance and quality of the Sony DE series receivers. I think the Pioneer is a better unit.
Old 03-06-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go for the Pioneer for a hundred bucks less, but if you really like Sony drop a couple more dollars and get the DB series, either the 840 or 940. Much better build quality and amp section compared to the DE line. I have had my DB series for almost a year and have not been disappointed once. Great performer, a bargain for the price.

J
Old 03-06-01, 09:48 PM

Vote for Pioneer

The current Sony DE series does not have good build quaility. I've had a Pioneer Pro-Logic receiver for years and it's worked beautifuly. It also has a good build. I currently use a Sony DA series receiver but agree that the Sony is only worth getting if you are getting a DA or DB series receiver. If these are not in your budget, go for the Pioneer.
Old 03-07-01, 01:08 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pioneer Baby

I'd also like to cast my vote in for the Pioneer VSX-D509s, I've had this receiver for a few months now and it is a great value for the price. DD, DTS, 100Watts, multiple S-Video inputs, all for $199? I got mine at Sears. I think that's the better deal than the Sony. Don't you?
Old 03-07-01, 10:36 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks everyone. I think I am definately going to go with the Pioneer...

But where the heck did everyone find it so cheap ($199). I think the best price I've seen so far is @ $250 or so. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as finding a good comparison shopping site or similar tools??

Thanks!
Old 03-08-01, 03:54 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check prices

Originally posted by pieront
Thanks everyone. I think I am definately going to go with the Pioneer...

But where the heck did everyone find it so cheap ($199). I think the best price I've seen so far is @ $250 or so. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as finding a good comparison shopping site or similar tools??

Thanks!
pieront, try Pricescan and Pricegrabber to search for prices on the Pioneer receiver.

Also check your local Fry's Electronics (if you live on the West Coast), Sears, Good Guys, and Circuit City. The VSX-D509s was probably discounted so much b/c it was being phased out and replaced by a newer model. That's usually the case when a $400 receiver is discounted so much. It's been around a while now too so no surprise there.

Good luck!

[Edited by BT on 03-08-01 at 01:57 PM]