Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GH3 / Guitar Hero III Thread II

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What level of a player are you?
Level 1: I'm a noob! I can 5* Easy and 3* some Medium
12.20%
Level 2: I can 5* some Medium / Gold* most Easy / Fail at most Hard
24.39%
Level 3: I can 3* most Hard / Gold* some Medium / Fail at most Expert
32.93%
Level 4: I can 5* most Hard / 3* some Expert
21.95%
Level 5: I can 5* most Expert / Gold* some Expert
6.10%
Level 6: Enlightened Guitarist - I can Gold* most Expert
2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Part I here

Link to DVDTalk Tour Group on guitarhero.com

360 players with the viral Meet Your Maker Achievement
cartman (Oz Rosenberg)
flair (flairbear)
Rabbit77 (Rabbit77)
mdc3000 (mdc3000)
Xander (JediMatt76)
Shagrath (XShagrath)
Suprmallet (Dan and Kris)
Michael Corvin (Sith Draven)
Brianluvdvd (Spiderbite73)

Regarding boss battles - I don't see why they're annoying since you can wuss out after failing several times.

Last edited by rabbit77; 01-25-08 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 11:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Regarding boss battles - I don't see why they're annoying since you can wuss out after failing several times.
Not Lou.
Old 11-09-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, most certainly NOT Lou...I hate that bitch. (I also have the meet your maker achievement - gamertag: mdc3000)
Old 11-09-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, but since he's the last boss that's forgiveable. I found the only way to consistently beat him is by
Spoiler:
hitting him with Whammy on that long string of green notes he gets after your first power-up

I also didn't know until like 2 hours into losing to him that you can save up to 3 powerups and unleash them in a row. D'oh!
Old 11-09-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
Ok, that makes a bit more sense. So, in your 2-3-2 example, as soon as you hit the second set of star notes in the 2 of the 2-3-2, you activate the star power? Or do you wait until another point? I guess where I'm getting hung up in my lower scores is not knowing exactly when to activate the star power I have built up.
Sometimes, but not always. That's the trick. There could actually be 8 star powers in the song but you still want to go 2-3-2 because the 6th one comes during a string of fast triple note chords and it's much better to use star power over it than to get it and use it later when there aren't as many points/notes. Sometimes it's better not to whammy because when you activate star power it might run over another SP phrase, etc.

Basically you want to use star power when there are a lot of notes/chords AND you can actually hit those notes/chords. Using Star Power during a fast solo may be the optimal way to do it, but if you keep breaking your streak during it, it's probably better to wait until the chorus which has a bunch of easy repeated chords.

For some songs it's easy to figure out a good star power path, others it takes a lot of work and scrutinizing the note charts... plus some experimentation. I enjoy trying the best paths, but I usually don't create my own. There's normally good discussion on scorehero about paths, although last I checked they didn't have the note charts for GH3 up yet.
Old 11-09-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, but since he's the last boss that's forgiveable. I found the only way to consistently beat him is by
Spoiler:
hitting him with Whammy on that long string of green notes he gets after your first power-up

I also didn't know until like 2 hours into losing to him that you can save up to 3 powerups and unleash them in a row. D'oh!
Yeah... although for the life of me, I can't get 3 power ups. He seems to always toss lefty flip or amp overload at me for the first power up, which makes it impossible for me to get the first one, and then on a lucky run I can maybe pick up the next two, but I'm screwed after that. I can drop him down to red before they both wear off. I've never gotten 3 full powerups
Old 11-09-07, 11:25 AM

Yeah, the biggest problem with Lou is that most of your power-ups come right after he drops one on you -- so they're easy to miss.
Old 11-09-07, 11:29 AM

There's an official online tourney tomorrow. Three tiers: Medium, Hard, and Expert. Songs are "Black Magic Woman", "Cliffs of Dover", and "Pride and Joy".

Details here: http://www.guitarhero.com/forums/12/forum_topics/9963
Old 11-09-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've also got the "Meet Your Maker" achievement. So if I'm on and playing, send me an invite if you want it.

I must be one of the only people here who doesn't see the Amp Overload powerup as being that bad to deal with. The worst for me is Lefty Flip (Righty Flip for me) and the whammy one, as the whammy bar is out of place for me, being a lefty.
Old 11-09-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
From the last thread:

Question from a GH newbie here.

I don't own any of the games.

I have a PS3 and a Wii. I also have a PS2 but it's not hooked up.

I'm trying to decide what system to get GH 3 on. I would like to be able to play the older versions too, but I've read you can't play any of the older PS2 GH games with the PS3 controller.

Does a PS2 GH controller wired into the PS3 via adapter work with the older games? I have the 60GB PS3 which should have the necessary backwards compatibility.

Next question:

I've read some stuff here and there that suggested the PS3 controller has some lag issues. Has anyone here experienced this?

Thanks in advance...
I've researched this to death, and there is no way to use the PS2 controller with any of the newer systems. It really sucks, cause now I'll have 4 plastic controllers laying around the house.
Old 11-09-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
There's an official online tourney tomorrow. Three tiers: Medium, Hard, and Expert. Songs are "Black Magic Woman", "Cliffs of Dover", and "Pride and Joy".

Details here: http://www.guitarhero.com/forums/12/forum_topics/9963
I entered, but the prize is a T-shirt (hooray?!) and you have to play the three songs over and over against random people... there are no brackets. Sounds horribly tedious.
Old 11-09-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just FC'ed it (Cherub Rock)... #2 overall on the 360 boards. My favorite song in the game since I'm a fan of Smashing Pumpkins I didn't mind playing it over and over again. I just don't understand how #1 got 528K. There's not many places to activate star power (I did a star power path of 2-3-2-5)
It's one of my favorites as well (have every SP release, got the SP faceplate from BB, etc). I gave up on actively trying to get a gold star a couple days ago. I kept getting 100% minus one goldern note, the same note every run. It's during the solo of all things where you have 5 HO/PO's that go BOBOY. After five times of hitting every note except one of those, I went to practice mode to see what in the sam hill I was doing wrong, and even on the "slow" setting I wasn't hitting them. I still don't know why I was missing one of those every time.

And what's the star power path? I'd guess it's like you wait til you have 2, then 3, then 2, but the 5 has me confused. I know there's gotta be some list somewhere that has the "best" ways to use SP, but I just play and use it whenever I feel like it . The best way to beat my scores is to gold star a song after I have. I won't bother to find the best way to do it . Of course, after the 19th of this month, y'all can have all the high scores, I'll probably be stricken with Rock Band from then on .

Also, flair, get to work practicing the TTFAF strumming. I want to 5 star co-op that bad boy!

Last edited by cartman; 11-09-07 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Cherub Rock - what I mean by "5" in 2-3-2-5 is that even though my star power is maxed out after the 4th set of star notes, I still don't activate until after the 5th and last set of star notes in order to 8x all those 16th notes at the outro.

I experimented with 2-3-2-1(lots of whammying, skip 1 after activation)-3 but I was maxing out around 510K.

And I'm sure there's an even better way since #1 got 9K higher than my score, which seems untouchable

Last edited by rabbit77; 11-09-07 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I submitted to join the tour group. I'm only a "medium" kinda guy so if I don't make the cut, I'll understand.
Old 11-09-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
I entered, but the prize is a T-shirt (hooray?!) and you have to play the three songs over and over against random people... there are no brackets. Sounds horribly tedious.
the question I asked is how do they keep one person from playing a friend over and over (with the friend letting them win) in order to rack up points for this?
Old 11-09-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598
the question I asked is how do they keep one person from playing a friend over and over (with the friend letting them win) in order to rack up points for this?
They use some sort of rating system with everyone starting with 1600 points. As you win you get more points, and as you lose you drop points. The amount of points you move is based on the score difference. If you beat the same guy over and over again, his "score" would drop considerably until you gained nothing from beating him.
Old 11-09-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Any Wii owners out there, feel free to add me and I'll do the same, just let me know. I added Joe Molotov and Groucho last night. My code is 352301911176.
Old 11-09-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is my GHIII number: 244928828570

I suck ass though. Very bad.

Anyone know how I can get my Wii Code number?
Old 11-09-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Cherub Rock - what I mean by "5" in 2-3-2-5 is that even though my star power is maxed out after the 4th set of star notes, I still don't activate until after the 5th and last set of star notes in order to 8x all those 16th notes at the outro.

I experimented with 2-3-2-1(lots of whammying, skip 1 after activation)-3 but I was maxing out around 510K.

And I'm sure there's an even better way since #1 got 9K higher than my score, which seems untouchable

Smashing PUmpkins fan? Woo mee too!
Old 11-09-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I noticed on the PS Store that they have downloadable song packages for sale. The Artist are Velvet Revolver and the Foo Fighters. 6.25 for 3 songs from an artist is a little much, but i'm a sucker and will be buying them.
Old 11-09-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
The only thing that sucks about the GH site is you cant be in more than one tour group at a time.
Old 11-09-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cartman

Also, flair, get to work practicing the TTFAF strumming. I want to 5 star co-op that bad boy!

I'll have to get passed the intro first Maybe being less drunk would help. Or more? Who knows. I played with someone last night a few beers after you and they left half way through I was doing so bad I'm thinking of switching back to an SDTV and getting serious about playing again. I just don't see how I can be doing this bad at the game still. Maybe I should have just stuck with GHII.

Michael Corvin, don't worry about "holding the group back" I think the only thing it is good for is keeping track of what others on here are doing and adding up our total groupie amount.
Old 11-09-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you accept my bid to join the group? it said i was in a Que to be added or something.
Old 11-09-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure did. I try to log on twice a day and add everyone.
Old 11-09-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We need a logo for our tourgroup! I created this one:
74x74 and 108x108 . Not sure which size you have to upload with.

They look like this with the pick border overlay:

Not that great but better than the GH we currently have. Feel free to use or ignore

Last edited by Mordred; 11-09-07 at 04:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.