View Single Post
Old 10-02-07, 09:34 AM   #115
Jediturtle

In just for fun again. Still jealous of the high number guys!
Here is my list from last year:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=97

2007 - Goal = 31, same as last year!

October 1:
1) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (with Commentary) (1974) - Ultimate Edition DVD *****
Kicked off last year with this, and figured it was a good place to start again this year. Watched with the commentary track with Tobe Hooper, Gunner Hansen, and director of photography Daniel Pearl. Great commentary hearing about the hardships and grueling conditions under which they made this masterpiece. As I said last year, TCM is the very definition of a horror movie.

2) Disturbia (2007) - DVD ****1/2 (new to me)
Wow. One of the most suspenseful, edge of your seat new movies I've seen in a long time. Freaking awesome.

October 2:
3) Sleepaway Camp (with Commentary) (1983) - DVD ***
While I prefer the campy sequels, this is still a great movie. This may have been the worst commentary track I've ever heard though. Not very informative, and Felissa Rose is unbelieveably annoying.

4) Death Proof (2007) - DVD ****
Yes, it's talky, but what did you expect from Tarantino? We unfortunately missed Grindhouse while it was in the theaters, but had lots of fun with this DVD. The crash that was repeated to show what happened to each person was absolutely brilliant!

October 3:
5) Suspiria (1977) - DVD *****
I continue to be amazed by this movie each time I watch it. The colors, the textures, the sets, the score. A nightmare captured on film. What a creepy mix of beauty and violence.

6) Inferno (1980) - DVD ****
While not quite on par with Suspiria in my book, Inferno again captures a bit of that same magic. While completely illogical, the underwater room scene is still one of the most amazing and scary horror scenes I've seen.

October 4:
7) Opera (1987) - DVD ****1/2
This one continues to nip at the heels of Suspiria as my favorite Argento movie. The needles under the eyes is totally nasty. Love the camera work with the spiral staircase, and also the flying Raven's POV shot. Great movie.

8) Deep Red (Profondo Rosso) (1975) - DVD ***
Another good Argento flick, but I am not into this one quite as much as some people are. Don't get me wrong though, there is still plenty to love in this one, it's just not my favorite.

9) Frankenstein (1931) - Legacy Collection DVD ****
Another classic that I'm embarrased to say I had never seen all of until now. Great movie all around. They just don't make them like this anymore.

October 5:
10) Resident Evil (2002) - DVD ****
I've only played through the first game, and am half way through the second, but the game series is probably the most fun I've had with video games since I was a kid. A game capable of making you pee youself a little...gotta love that. Anyway, the movies don't follow the games too closely, but who cares, they are great fun in their own right. And Milla is the definition of hot.

October 6:
11) Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse (2004) - DVD ****
Not as much horror as just plain zombie ass-kicking, but I love it. This movie is an adreneline rush start to finish. And Milla is still hot. Hope to go see RE:3 very soon.

October 7:
12) Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (with Commentary) (1988) - DVD ****
As much as I enjoyed the original, I love the direction this series went with 2 and 3. Pamela Springsteen turns Angela into one of the best, most fun slasher villians of all time. Enjoyable commentary on this one, although I wish Pamela would have participated.

13) Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (with Commentary) (1989) - DVD ***1/2
Not quite as fun as part 2, but still a riot. Love the lawnmower and flagpole scenes. Long live Angela!

14) Rear Window (1954) - DVD ****1/2
After seeing Disturbia, we had to go back and see what it was based on. Another great movie. The first hour and a half were "just" a great movie, but once that last half hour hit, it was edge of the seat all the way. I have seen embarassingly few Hitchcock films, another error in my ways I must change.

October 8:
15) The Amityville Horror (with Commentary) (1979) - DVD ***
Good movie with some very creepy parts. You guys have got to hear the kook that does the commentary though...wow. If this guy really believes a quarter of what he says, that's scarier than whatever happened in that house. Friggin hilarious!

October 9:
16) Scream (with Commentary) (1996) - DVD *****
I had always loved horror movies, but my interest had at one point started to diminish a bit. Scream is what brought me back, and remains one of my all time favorites. Lots of great memories go with this movie...it came out right about the time I got my first real computer and internet access. I went nuts downloading Scream sound clips, themes, wallpapers, video clips, etc. I watched this more times that I can remember, but haven't seen it for a couple years now. Just as great as I remember it. Good commentary track too. I just really wish the DVD was anamorphic!

17) Cat People (1942) - DVR ***
Great old classic. There is just something about black and white that sets a creepy mood. They could do things with lighting and shadows back then that just can't be matched today. Good stuff.

October 10:
18) Scream 2 (with commentary) (1997) - DVD ****
Not quite as good as the first, but still a worthy sequel with some great moments. Commentarty was pretty good, but I missed Kevin Williamson's input.

19) Diabolique (1955) - DVD ****
Watched this one after seeing it on a few lists here. Great French classic. Very Hitchcockian feel to this one. Loved the ending. Really liked the little screen at the end that asks you not to ruin the ending for your friends. Cool stuff.

October 11:
20) Resident Evil 3: Extinction (2007) - Theater ****
Another great entry in the RE series. The ending seemed very rushed, but other than that no complaints. Have I mentioned that Milla is friggin hot?

October 12:
None

October 13:
21) The Craft (1996) - DVD ***1/2
Haven't seen this since it first came out. Better than I remembered it being.

October 14:
None - weird weekend...

October 15:
Another none...well at least I started the month out well!

October 16:
22) A Nightmare on Elm Street (with commentary) (1984) - Infinifilm DVD *****
My all time favorite horror movie on one of the best DVDs ever made. Great commentary track too. Love it!

23) Cube (1997) - DVD ***1/2
Great concept, great movie. I love how you kind of take turns loving and hating each character at some point in the movie.

October 17:
24) Cabin Fever (with commentary) (2002) - DVD *****
One of my favorite newer horror movies. Eli Roth is the man, I don't care what other horror fans think.

25) Drive Thru (2007) - DVD ***
Good cheesy fun! Lots of laughs and some good deaths. Does not take itself seriously, which I like in this kind of movie.

October 18:
26) Final Destination (with commentary) (2000) - DVD ****
Always loved these movies. I thought the first one especially was a great, fresh take on the genre. The commentary is pretty good on this one...lots of little stuff was pointed out I hadn't noticed before.

27) Cube 2: Hypercube (2002) - DVD **1/2
Pretty good movie, but not nearly as good as the original. Proof that bigger budget doesn't mean better movie. I didn't get nearly the sense of claustrophobia, dread, or tension from this one as the original. Still had a few moments of brilliance though, making it worthwhile.

October 19:
28) Ginger Snaps (with commentary) (2000) DVD ****
Probably my favorite werewolf flick. Great movie all around. Commentary track was pretty good on this one.

29) Shaun of the Dead (with commentary) (2004) - DVD ****1/2
Probably the best horror/comedy mix ever in my opinion. Great movie all around...hilarious, scary, and well made. The commentary track on this one is hilarious as well.

October 20:
30) I Walked with a Zombie (1942) - DVR ***
Another wonderful classic. I'm glad I discovered a couple of these great Lewton/Tourneur collaborations this year.

October 21:
31) Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007) - DVD ***1/2
Better than I was expecting. Good humor and over the top gore. Some just plain nasty death scenes. Too bad the pic quality sucked, but what do you expect from direct-to-dvd I guess. Wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion, but that doesn't matter much as they really had nothing to do with each other.

Holy balls! Goal of 31 met, and I still have 10 days to go! I'd love to say I'm going for 50, but I can't see that happening. Might see something in the 40s though!

October 22:
Gee...I hit my goal and slacking off already! Back on the wagon tomorrow I hope. Even if it's no longer "official", I started off doing this for my own fun, and will continue to. I hope others can do the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the mods can weed out the bad apples and open this back up officially for the rest of us, but if not, I'll just keep watching anyway!

October 23:
32) 28 Days Later (2002) - DVD ****
Had to rewatch this one in anticipation of the sequel that just showed up from Netflix. This is such a great movie...lots of jumps and emotional involvement. I used to dislike the 2nd half of the movie, but I appreciated it more this time around.

October 24:
33) 28 Weeks Later (2007) - DVD ****
Wow, as good as the first, maybe even a hair better. Awesome. Great sound on the DVD too...loads of bass. Makes me wish I had my new sub already!

October 25:
Nothing...probably not going to hit 40 at this point, but still happy I surpassed my 31 goal!

October 26:
34) Carnival of Souls (1962) - Criterion Collection DVD ****1/2
I love this movie...so creepy with a great twist. There are a number of amusement parks that I would love to travel back in time to visit in their heydays, and thanks to this movie, Saltair is one of them.

October 27:
35) Planet Terror (2007) - DVD ****
Way over the top in every way...lots of fun! Still wish we could have caught Grindhouse in the theater the way they were intended...oh well.

October 28:
36) The Blair Witch Project (with commentary) (1999) - DVD ****
Say what you will about this movie, but I think the idea and execution were genius. I saw this in the theater when it was first released and I don't think a movie has ever stuck with me and made me to paranoid well after it ended. Love it.

37) White Zombie (1932) - DVD ***
Not my favorite "oldie", but still well worth watching. Some great moments with the zombies...especially when that worker loses his balance and falls in the grinding vat. Classic!

October 29:
38) Saw (with commentary) (2004) - DVD ****1/2
I know many do not agree, but to me Saw really revitalized modern horror. I've enjoyed the heck out of the first three, and expect to enjoy the fourth as soon as we can get to the theater.

39) Dracula (with commentary) (1931) - DVD ****
The ultimate "classic" horror movie to me. Watched this with the film historian commentary and really enjoyed it. I liked how he would compare certain scenes with either the original script, or the novel. Tons of information here, but never boring.

October 30:
Nothing...had our annual halloween party for the guys from work. I had Nosferatu playing continuously on the TV upstairs, but I really didn't catch more than a glimps here and there so I can't count it. Can't wait for the Ultimate Edition DVD coming out next month. That movie deserves way better than the crappy public domain disk I have currently.

October 31:
40) Halloween (1978) - DVD *****
Only had time for one tonight, so of course it had to be this one. I can't say anything about this one that hasn't already been said. Absolute classic.

Well, that's a wrap for this year! Had lots of fun as always. I managed to not only beat my goal, but also catch 14 new to me movies! Thanks much to those who organized this challenge, as well as the moderators who helped keep us on track. Can't wait until next year!!

Last edited by Jediturtle; 11-01-07 at 09:10 AM.