View Single Post
Old 09-30-07, 01:45 PM   #3
Supermallet
Time Lord

Jamie, the big issue with the Blu-ray transfer (and I do believe the DVD is indeed taken from the same master) is that the colors are different from the Sony Superbit DVD that was released a few years back. The colors in that edition were much brighter and stylized. However, according to Josh Zyber, the colors in the new edition are closer to the colors of the Criterion Collection laserdisc, so there's a bit of controversy going on about which color scheme is "correct," so to speak.

As for the Blu-ray, I think the reason it's getting such a bad rap is because it doesn't look very good compared to other recent HD releases like Underworld and such. I highly doubt anyone who dislikes the BD will love the DVD version. The only thing I can think of is that the BD will more than likely have more grain than the DVD version, because less grain will have been filtered out in the transfer. But that's actually preserving more of the original master, as opposed to obscuring it.

I am in the process of doing my BD review of Dracula, which should be up in the next few days.