Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Old 02-23-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link

Warner Bros. Pictures is looking to make a feature based on super team the Justice League of America, hiring writing duo Kiernan and Michele Mulroney to write the script, reports Variety. It's the first major action the studio has taken on the project.

The feature film is bound to include some combination of DC's most iconic superheroes, although the studio wouldn't confirm which ones they might be. It's unlikely that the studio and DC Comics, a division of Warner, would opt to feature second-tier characters.

Since its inception in 1960, JLA has featured almost every major hero in the DC Comics universe, although the core team has largely remained the same: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter.

The heroes typically band together to fight alien menaces or groups of supervillains.

"The Justice League of America has been a perennial favorite for generations of fans, and we believe their appeal to film audiences will be as strong and diverse as the characters themselves," Warner president of production Jeff Robinov said in announcing the hiring of the Mulroneys.

The trade says that in taking on the ambitious project, Warner faces several conundrums.

Now that the Batman and Superman film franchises have been revived, does the studio go after Christian Bale (Batman Begins) and Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) to star in a Justice League pic? The studio is also trying hard to bring Wonder Woman to the big screen.

To a large degree, casting will depend upon the story arc for the JLA feature and at what point in the superheroes' lives the plot takes place.

Doubt this will ever happen, but would be interesting to see.
Old 02-23-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God, I hope not. I'd rather a Batman vs. Superman film first. Andrew Kevin Walker's script has some good ideas in it.
Old 02-23-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Can anyone confirm Warners wants to do a live-action pic and not an animated one? The writer of the piece above just assumes it's going to be live-action.
Old 02-23-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um, how much $$$$ would this film cost too make? Doubt very seriously this will ever happen.
Old 02-23-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
I don't believe this will happen - at least any time soon. I would think WB would concentrate on solo franchises for as many characters as possible, and only resort to the "team" if they're not capable of carrying a movie alone. And I don't see a movie about B-list JLA members flying. The one thing that could work is getting guys like Routh and Bale to put in a relatively short amount of work time, and use it to give a profile boost to other JLAers. But that starts introducing cross-continuity into the WB movie Superhero Universe. I'd just as soon have efforts devoted to making top-notch new movies in the Batman and Superman franchises, trying to get new things off the ground for people like Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman. Martian Manhunter would well as a supporting character in the Superman movie Universe (with an invading force of White Martians being the main baddie).
Old 02-23-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
I hope this does happens...though I have to agree, a Batman/Superman World's Finest movie done first would make sense
Old 02-23-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Awesome news. If team movies like F4 and X-men can work, why not the team (sans JSA) that started it all.

It could always be done like the original JLA stories where Superman and Batman make cameos. But if Routh and Bale could star in it, id flip out with excitement. But with the solo movies who knows.

Movies take too long to make, lol.
Old 02-23-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
I'd rather see a LoSH movie than JLA. Or, since many Frank Miller adaptions are making waves for being very stylistic to the material (ie. Sin City and 300), why not make Dark Knight Returns? You wouldn't have to cast Bale or Routh since these are older incarnations of the characters. I'm already curious to see wtf they are going to do with Miller's Ronin.
Old 02-23-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd rather see this animated and direct-to-DVD.
Old 02-23-07, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Awesome news. If team movies like F4 and X-men can work, why not the team (sans JSA) that started it all.

It could always be done like the original JLA stories where Superman and Batman make cameos. But if Routh and Bale could star in it, id flip out with excitement. But with the solo movies who knows.

Movies take too long to make, lol.
it would not be based on those original JLA stories as that stuff would be to dated to do now. it would probally happen in ten years which by then both the Superman and Batman franchises would be on thier last legs again and this JLA movie would be used to jumpstart both franchises as by then Routh and Bale wouldn`t be a factor ala Keaton wasn`t around for the Clooney Batman flicks.
Old 02-23-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Just give me animated Justice League movies for the next 30 years, and I'll be happy.
Old 02-23-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd rather see this animated and direct-to-DVD.
With the original Voice Cast
Old 02-23-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by bloopbleep
it would not be based on those original JLA stories as that stuff would be to dated to do now.
I wasnt referring to the old campy stories, just the concept. Bats and supes would make an appearance after the rest of the team did all the work.
Old 02-23-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
DC Whore here

Although I wouldn't mind a JLA movie, though i do think they'd fuck it up, I would prefer Hero Cameos or team-ups in Current Franchises. One of the things that made the Dini/Timm Batman and Superman series great was their bringing in other known heroes and villians instead of always creating new lame ones. I also know that Lawyers have a lot to do with why more Heroes/Villians don't make cameos in stuff. I mean damn, I have to give Major Props to the greenlighting of Silver Surfer in the next FF movie.

There's in no reason why Batman(Bale) can't make a Cameo in the next Superman movie or vice Versa.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-23-07 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
There's in no reason why Batman(Bale) can't make a Cameo in the next Superman movie or vice Versa.
There's plenty of good reasons why they shouldn't cross over as well.
Old 02-23-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they will wait until the three Batman movies have been completed. That trilogy is being grounded as close to reality as possible and a JL teamup is a tough sell on the new take of the character.

I hope this is another animated film but if they are really planning a live action version I bet it gets stuck in litigation hell for a few decades.
Old 02-23-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I always wished they would do something like that.
Even if it is only a brief appearance, how could it would be to see Spider-Man run into Punisher or Daredevil in one of the movies.

As for a JLA live-action movie: not interested. If the plot is anything like what i have seen in the cartoons (fighting aliens and stuff like) then they should leave that to the cartoons.
Old 02-23-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
As for a JLA live-action movie: not interested. If the plot is anything like what i have seen in the cartoons (fighting aliens and stuff like) then they should leave that to the cartoons.
Um Superman, Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, they are all aliens.

The only thing I really don't see happening is Christian Bale getting involved. He's stated about the Batman movies if they get too far from reality, he would not be interested.
Old 02-23-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, there's no way this is going to happen. Hell, they can't even get the Wonder Woman and Flash films off the ground. They will not have any luck in getting something as complicated as the JLA off the ground.
Old 02-23-07, 04:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could see Brandon Routh on board, as he's not a big name yet, but I doubt Christian Bale would participate. Which in reality wouldn't be too terrible... Considering Batman could probably leave his costume on the whole time in a JLA movie, casting someone else as Batman wouldn't confuse things too much.
Old 02-23-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
There's plenty of good reasons why they shouldn't cross over as well.

Sure. But I'd still like to see some Cameos instead of treating each Hero film as it's own universe.
Old 02-23-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worst idea ever.
Old 02-23-07, 09:18 PM
Banned

I think that almost every year, this "news" comes around. It is not actually news, is just conversations between studio executives that many time lead to nothing except dissapointed fanboys. Last year, they had this same conversation with the twist that it would be hard to do since different studios own the licensing to do a movie of the individual JLA members except for the Martian Manhunter, which was still available.

My 2 cents:
I would love to see a JL movie since I'm a huge comic book geek and a DC megafan, but after the great JLU animated series by Timm & Dini, the standards are set way too high. Still, the right director (Bryan Singer) with the right cast, may pull something off. I believe that comic book teams are better suited for animated tv series, maybe even live-action tv series, since they could develop all the characters and make lesser known ones interesting, like the JL and JLU animated series did during their run.
Old 02-23-07, 09:44 PM

Sure. But I'd still like to see some Cameos instead of treating each Hero film as it's own universe.
I never understood why the makers of these superhero films couldn't stick a seconds-long shot of Iron Man or GL or someone flying through a frame in the distance. A single shot like that would a.) appease fanboys and b.) totally expand the star hero's universe.

I mean, all hell breaks loose in NY and the only hero that responds is Spider-man? No FF? No Avengers?

Kurt Busiek's Astro City series does (did?) a fantastic job of having an occasional panel with some random hero in the backdrop. Really made you believe that the title characters weren't the only superheroes in town.
Old 02-23-07, 09:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it's about time Seaman...er...Aquaman got his due on film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.