Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning Dvds at FYE without a receipt.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-24-07, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good is FYE about letting you exchange or get in-store credit for items without a receipt?
Old 08-25-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
How good is FYE about letting you exchange or get in-store credit for items without a receipt?
They are actually very good.
I have done it before with a dvd that was a gift.
They made me fill out a slip and gave me store credit.
Old 08-26-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
I did it with my copy of the superman tin. I got two superman II discs and no superman III. I don't understand why some places give you such a hard time about doing an exchange for teh exact same item. When I worked at a store that sold dvd's, we used to return all the open dvd to the vendor for credit. We didnt lose any money on teh deal, and its not like you were able to copy the discs then return it for something else. We are talking getting the same exact thing you are returning.
Old 09-05-07, 02:16 AM
Banned

i went in with five dvds i had recieved as gifts.
all brand new. some were tmnt, blades of glory, disturbia, etc.

anyways, they said they had to take them as used.
they opened them all, and only gave me 4 - 6 for each.

they were selling a new blades for 22.99 and they gave me five for my brand new one?

HIGHWAY ROBBERY !
FUCK FYE!
Old 09-05-07, 10:35 AM

FYE is very YMMV. I am a manager at one in VT and giving store credit for exchanges without a receipt used to not be a problem. But now, we're much more likely to purchase them as "used" like the above poster mentioned. There's just too many cheap DVDs to be had elsewhere that could be turned around for a quick profit in store credit at an FYE location. Because our prices are usually MSRP if the item is not on sale, an informed consumer could really make a killing getting stuff from Walmart or Costco and "returning" it to FYE. Not saying you were trying to do this, but just trying to give you an example of why it happened.
Old 09-05-07, 11:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by ltrain
FYE is very YMMV. I am a manager at one in VT and giving store credit for exchanges without a receipt used to not be a problem. But now, we're much more likely to purchase them as "used" like the above poster mentioned. There's just too many cheap DVDs to be had elsewhere that could be turned around for a quick profit in store credit at an FYE location. Because our prices are usually MSRP if the item is not on sale, an informed consumer could really make a killing getting stuff from Walmart or Costco and "returning" it to FYE. Not saying you were trying to do this, but just trying to give you an example of why it happened.
True, but then you only get store credit to use on similarly overpriced merchandise, so I'm not sure why people would do this.

I've returned Christmas gifts (unopened) in the past for store credit. Would never think to try it any other time of the year.
Old 09-05-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
True, but then you only get store credit to use on similarly overpriced merchandise, so I'm not sure why people would do this.

I've returned Christmas gifts (unopened) in the past for store credit. Would never think to try it any other time of the year.

That's a good point. But sometimes some random crap title you can get at Walmart for like $5 might still be listed for $20+ in our inventory. (Trans World tends to be a little bit behind on price drops.)

If someone got $20+ in store credit, they could just use that to get something they did want, like a new release (which are usually on sale for under $20) or something else altogether. In the end, they've really only spent $5 plus their legwork in order to get a brand new movie. Around the holidays we are much more lax about exchanges and stuff. Usually if it's not opened we'll let people exchange it for something else at the current selling price.
Old 09-05-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
i went in with five dvds i had recieved as gifts.
all brand new. some were tmnt, blades of glory, disturbia, etc.

anyways, they said they had to take them as used.
they opened them all, and only gave me 4 - 6 for each.

they were selling a new blades for 22.99 and they gave me five for my brand new one?

HIGHWAY ROBBERY !
FUCK FYE!
Why didn't you just pass on their offer?

To the OP: call before you show up with your DVDs in tow. If the person answering says they don't take returns/make exchanges without receipts, then call back on a different day at a different time and ask again. That person might have a different answer.
Old 09-09-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
why would anyone EVER let the sales clerk open a sealed dvd to return it as used. That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 09-15-07, 12:34 AM

I used to be a Buyer @ good 'O Nordstrom... One thing that managers, supervisors, etc. should keep in mind is that - with most Retailers return policy, the amount of people that actually abuses the system is probably about 10%. The other 90% are actually good, loyal customers. Why treat the majority of your customers as if they were part of the 10% that's crooked. You've just lost present and future business right there!

The post above that's returning the 5 dvds - most likely the first time @ FYE returning and in good faith. But now, no longer a customer and along went all the people he knows and others reading his post.

Just a thought.
Old 09-24-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

FYE sucks for returns. I returned 2 items on consecutive days, both of which had reciepts. One was a damage, the other I just didnt want. I did this at a store I rarely visit. The manager of the store I usually visit told me my name popped up on a security list for frequent returns. I could have understood if there had not been rects. but that is rediculous.
Old 09-27-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole "We need to open these to take them for store credit." is the MOST ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If you don;t want to take them back, then don;t take them back. I would have said no and given them as gifts.
Old 09-30-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is total BS!

With any retail situation it depends on the STORE MANAGER, policy is always flexible and depending on how firm you are with how you approach a situation.

Remember; you can catch more ants with sugar than ishhy attitudes.

And when your bring in more than TWO items you better be prepared to be asked questions. In most Malls the shrink rate is through the roof, I dont care which city or neighborhood your in.

If worse comes to worst - get your movies back and call customer service.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-05-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had bought Smallville S5 for $30.99-10% awhile back when it was on sale. I found it on AMAZON for $19.99 last week and bought it. Took the one back to the store with price tag on it but had lost receipt and got the current price of $49.99+tax back out of it on a GC. So it's hit or miss.